Positively Different Short Film Festival, 11 - 13 March 2022, Athens
Two years into a narrower life, filmmakers keep inspiring us with their resilience. They exemplify that power and imagination can’t be confined. PDSFF is a time of appreciation and celebration of this lot.
We invite all filmmakers, documentarists, visual content creators, students and emerging artists to submit their shorts from the fields of fiction, documentary and visual arts. We are particularly interested in the topic of intersectionality; in the stories of communities and individuals that, due to their intersecting identities and complex experiences regarding their gender, sexuality, race, class, ethnicity, religion and able-bodiedness, remain unseen.
Positively Different Short Film Festival focuses on the multiple facets of oppression and aspires to further creative works, cultural networks and political causes from and about the 'invisibles' of modern societies. Our team and audience are charmed by aesthetic coherence as much as they are excited by robustness, simplicity and tacitness. Shorts that reflect bold visions, grounded sophistication, original viewpoints and personal urgency are, essentially, what we look for.
The festival will feature a curated catalogue of approximately 35 short films that will be screened at TRIANON cinema in Athens from March 11 to13 competing for 3 prizes – Best Film Award, Audience Award, Best Greek Production. Concerts, workshops and masterclasses, special screenings, poetry-slam sessions and discussions will assemble an intense three-day celebration of diversity and togetherness.
The festival will support all finalists to join in person.
Best Film Award: 1000 euros
Audience Award: 500 euros
Best Greek Film Award: 500 euros
Travel & substinence costs: The festival will support all finalists to join in person.
- Early bird deadline: 20 September 2021 [free]
- Submission deadline: 31 October 2021 [5 euros / 3 euros (student)]
- Topic: Intersectionality; LGBTQI+; Feminism; Oppression; Privilege.
- Age of video makers: There is no age limit to the participants in the competition.
- Origin: There is no limitation or restriction to the origin of the video or its author.
- Duration: Videos should be up to 30 minutes long.
- Completion date: after 01/07/2020
- Submission fee: 5 euro (fee waivers are available on a case by a case basis. If you want to be considered for one, briefly explain the reason by writing us at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Categories: Documentary, fiction, animation, experimental, video art.
Submission of your video:
- You can use Vimeo (by submitting your password) or any other platform to submit the video. Other forms of submission (e.g. USB stick delivered to our office) will also be accepted.
- The video files should be in one of the formats: AVI, MP4 or MOV.
- Videos created with a smartphone are encouraged and will also be accepted.
- Suggested frame size 1080 * 1920
- Language: The video can be in any language, subtitled in English.
- Each video maker can participate with one video only.
More information available here: email@example.com, indicating in the subject line of your e-mail: “Video Call 2022”.
Film Festival Terms
Title: Positively Different Short Film Festival
- The final number of films that will be screened during the festival in Athens depends on the number of participants and the final decision of the organizing team
- The final films will be selected by the International Jury of the Film Festival by January, 2022.
- The jury consists of 3 well known European critics, film-makers and experts.
- The selection of the screened films, the order of projection and the programme are decided by the organisers, based on the technical specifications, the duration and the grouping of the films.
- The finalists will be informed by January, 2022 about the progress of their film in the contest
- The organising team of the Positively Different Short Film Festival, reserves the right to project part of the final films whenever it is needed for reasons of promotion of the Festival and under no circumstances for commercial causes.
- The finalists have to inform the organisers whether they will attend the festival in Athens so that the organizing team to organise their trip and staying in Athens
- There will be a Jury prize, an audience prize and an award for the Best Greek film. The organisers will decide about the possibility of giving special prizes regarding the amount and the characteristics of the finalist films.
- The award ceremony will take place in Athens in a special ceremony right after the end of the Positively Different Short Film Festival and it will give: Best Film Award, Audience Award, Best Greek Film
- Prizes consist of cash and in kind awards as well as promotion in other events of the organisation throughout the year
- Participants agree to give interviews to the communication sponsors and to be photographed if asked.
- Parts of the Festival will be filmed for Inter Alia’s archive and for its promotion to the public. Members of the audience and participants that may appear in these parts cannot claim anything from the organising company.
- During the Positively Different Short Film Festival parallel events will take place.
Positively Different Short Film Festival organising team reserves the right to cancel the Festival if it is necessary
- The sending out of the signed participation form entails the complete and unconditional acceptance of the above terms of participation.