Philosophical Film Festival / Филозофски Филмски Фестивал is a unique film festival that lives on the crossroads between philosophy and film and is held annually in R. Macedonia. On one side, the festival tries to promote the idea of film as a medium which can provoke philosophical thought and illustrate philosophical ideas. On the other, it aims to trigger aesthetical analysis’ and investigations into film language as a form sui generis and empower young filmmakers and film workers to reflect on key concepts, questions and ideas in order to translate them into the visual language of cinema. It is a pioneering festival of the kind in Macedonia and the region, and one of few in the world connecting film and philosophy.
"Golden Owl" Jury Award & Audience Award for Best Feature Film and Best Short Film.
PHILOSOPHICAL FILM FESTIVAL 2020
Rules & Terms
Philosophical Film Festival (original title: Филозофски Филмски Фестивал) is organised by the non-profit organization Philosophical Society of Macedonia registered in Republic of Macedonia.
The 10th edition of the Philosophical Film Festival will take place from 21 - 28 May 2020 in Skopje, R. Macedonia.
Film Submission Rules
1. A film must comply to the following conditions to be submitted:
- is a feature or a short film (documentaries are not accepted),
- is completed in 2018 or 2019,
- is philosophically relevant or inspires philosophical reflection,
- is with English subtitles.
2. The regular submission fee is 8 euros for feature films and 3 euros for short films.
3. Only the entrants whose films were selected will be notified, as we are not able to inform individual applicants about the rejection nor its reason.
1. Feature films and short films will be considered for the official competitions.
2. Successful submissions will be announced on 20th March 2020.
3. The Jury appointed by the Festival's organizers will award the ‘Golden Owl’ Jury Award for Best Feature Film and Best Short Film on PFF 2020. Submitted films are assessed in terms of artistic quality and philosophical relevance and the jury’s decision is absolute and final. The Audience of the Festival will award the ‘Golden Owl’ Audience Awards.
4. After the finishing of the Main Programme, the awarded films might be screened also on side events organized in small towns around the country, the film academies with which PFF is collaborating or for a Best Feature/Short Film repetition in June 2020.
1. Films may be submitted electronically via FilmFreeway only.
2. The submission deadline is 20th January 2020.
3. The regular submission fee is 8 euros for feature films and 3 euros for short films.
4. The person submitting the film gives their permission to screen the film during the Festival and during other events promoting the Festival arranged by the organizer with no screening fees.
5. The Festival reserves the right to invite a film which was not submitted to the Festival.
1. The film copies (selected films) should be sent electronically via online link.
2. The films should have English subtitles and will be screened with, both, Macedonian and English subtitles.
Submitting a film to the Philosophical Film Festival is equivalent to the acceptance of the conditions set out in the above Rules & Terms.