The 1st Paleochora Lost World Short Film Festival launches in June 2019 in association with the Municipality of Kandanos-Selinou. The 'Lost World' of Paleochora nestles between the Mountains and Sea in South West Crete and is the perfect location for Filmmakers to convene to show their work, network with colleagues and enjoy our fabulous Cretan hospitality. We may be at the most southern point of Europe, but there are BIG Film things happening here and on the entire Island of Crete. Our main aim will be to select films which focus on great storytelling, whether fiction, documentary or any other accepted genre.
In due course we will announce details of parallel Talks and Master Classes which will be included in our Film Festival Programme. Keep a weather eye for details both here and on our website.
In addition to our listed venues, we are also aiming to include Open Air evening screenings in Central Paleochora. More news on this once we have finalised the details.
We have a limited number of complimentary rooms which the Paleochora Hotel Association has kindly offered to Officially Selected International visiting filmmakers. Once submissions close on April 15th, there will be an immediate lottery to determine which filmmakers will win complimentary accommodation.
(To be eligible, filmmakers must have reached Official Selection Status plus provide us with evidence of Travel to Crete arrangements/bookings. There will also be special hotel discounts available for Festival attendees.
We are open to all genres of Short Films, with the exception of gratuitous Horror.
Our core festival team is made up of a small group of volunteers, film enthusiasts and film professionals. Our goal is to provide the best possible communication and a fun, productive festival experience. If there is anything we can assist with, please send us an email and we will do our best to reply within 48hrs.
We look forward to your Film Submission.
Awards are not our top priority, great filmmaking is! If your Film is selected to screen at the Festival, it means we love it and know that our audience will too. We also expect to have to make tough choices about which films make it onto our Festival programme. However, since another of our big goals is to make this a Festival where Filmmakers take the opportunity to fully participate by attending our event, there is an LWSFF Award section reserved exclusively for participating Filmmakers who attend in person at our Festival in Paleochora.
Best International Short Film
Best Short Documentary
Best Original Music
Best Short Film Cast
Best Short Animation
Best Greek Short Film
- Films up to 30 minutes are eligible
- As of 20/10/18 we have introduced a small Fee for the Greek Short Film category (submitters prior to this date will not be affected) If you are a Greek Filmmaker, permanently residing in Greece, a secondary option is to complete our Entry Form available on our website and request a Fee Waiver *Genuine Greek Short Filmmakers ONLY* Fee Waivers will be decided on a case by case basis.
- All International and International Greek Filmmakers must provide a working link (with or without password) to a digital screener on Vimeo or equivalent through FilmFreeway. Greek filmmakers who actually live in Greece (Proven Greek residents) will be considered by submission of Entry Form only (available on our WEBSITE). A working link to a screener (or alternative) will still be still required. (DVD's will Not be accepted) Fees are waived for proven Greek Residents. Files should not exceed 2GB.
- Screeners must be Downloadable (Mp4). Also, please make the ‘Watch Later’ feature available on Vimeo.
- All Short Film Genres eligible with the exception of Gratuitous Horror
- All films in any language other than English must be subtitled in English. While not obligatory, foreign language films that can provide both English and Greek subtitles are preferred.
- Make sure all licenses are cleared and in order before submitting. We are not liable to copyright infringement.
- Entrant will allow usage of clips from the entry and all related publicity material submitted for promotional use on television, radio, in print, web and at live Festival events.
- We do not pay Screening Fees
- The entry fee is not refundable.
- For International entries, only completed entries (payment and screener submitted) will be processed and considered for screening.
- To submit a film, you must have created the project yourself, own the rights or have permission from the owner of the content to submit the film to us.
- Your submission implies that you have the legal right to represent and submit this film for consideration, along with your acceptance of Paleochora Lost World Short Film Festival (LWSFF) regulations. By submitting to the festival, you confirm that the film is authorized to use all images, sounds and music appearing in the film. Your submission also implies that you have read and understood the festival regulations. Finally, you agree to allow LWSFF the use of your film and publicity materials from your film for promotional purposes.
- Once you submit your film, you agree that we can use your film data confidentially in order to develop our services
- There is no Premier requirement
- There are No Fee Waivers
(Only genuine entries to the Greek Short Film category will be considered for Fee Waivers on a case by case basis)
- With the exception of Trailers and Clips, we will Not publish your film anywhere online.
- Multiple entries by the same Filmmaker will be considered, however each separate entry will be subject to a separate submission fee.
- While we prefer otherwise, we will consider short films currently streaming on You Tube or other free or pay platforms
- While we prefer films completed on or after Jan 2013, we will consider films made in preceding years based on Merit.
- LWSFF reserves right to refuse acceptance of submissions deemed by the festival to be inappropriate
- Where deemed necessary, rules and terms are subject to change at the discretion of the Film Festival
- Our full Data Policy can be found on our website under Rules & Regulations