UPDATE: In light of Corona-virus, we want to assure our filmmakers that we are fully committed to run our events and honor all filmmakers who have submitted to us from around the world. Our 2020 event will be moved to January 2021 due to the Covid-19 situation.
*We are now accepting submissions for our 2021 edition*
Welcome to Oslo Short Film Festival, an event dedicated to celebrating short-form independent filmmaking.
OSFF is born from an appreciation of the peculiar position short-form storytelling occupies within the cinematic universe. These films are generally harder to access, and have difficulties reaching larger audiences, but their position outside of mainstream cinema and their abbreviated length allow the filmmakers more experimentation and artistic freedom.
We are extremely excited to be partnering up with Oslo’s unique SALT venue. SALT is a nomadic art project with pyramidal constructions called “hesjer”, which are based on traditional coastal construction methods. It represents an exceptional place for experiences and reflection where a diversity of people can be gathered to experience art and discuss today’s major challenges. Located in the harbor, right across from the striking Oslo Opera House, SALT is the ideal host for our forward-thinking event. To learn more about the space and the project → https://www.salted.no/ ←
Our festival provides not only a diverse cinematic experience for audiences and filmmakers alike, but also an opportunity to reflect on the future of our planet as well as our role within it. Our main goal is to increase the audience reach and engagement of select short-form fiction and nonfiction cinema that challenges and reflects on global scale problems.
We accept films of all genres max. 40 minutes long (for the Short Film Category) & max. 45 minutes long (for the Short Documentary Category).
In addition to the live screenings on August 6-7th 2019, we also organize:
- Networking events
- Q&As with filmmakers
- A worldwide network of filmmakers and collaborators
Oslo Short Film Festival is organized by HF Productions, an international production company run by a collective of independent filmmakers, producers and marketing professionals. Our mission is to create a collection of film festivals that support independent filmmakers in a very competitive and often unfair industry. We believe there is disenchantment with the anonymity and exclusivity of the festival circuit. We aim to provide a support system for emerging talents and independent filmmakers, based entirely on their skill set and passion.
» Official Selection – All films nominated for an award and selected for screening will be notified on the Notification Date. Screening materials will be requested and more information about the event will be provided.
» Winners – Award winners will be announced at our festival, after the screenings, and online the following day.
Awards will include Certificates, Treats, and exclusive online Distribution deals, and will be given in the following categories:
» 1 x Best Short Film
» 1 x Best Short Documentary
» 2 x Audience Awards will be chosen (one for each evening) based on the votes of the attending audience.
- All films must be submitted in English or with English subtitles.
- All films must have been made in or after 2018.
- Filmmakers are responsible for sorting out the copyright on their own materials.
- By submitting to us, you give us the right to screen your film in front of a live audience at SALT, Oslo, Norway.
- We may promote clips from your film on social media, based on the press kits you provide us with.
- We retain the right to change the date and venue of the festival under special circumstances. All filmmakers will be informed about any changes through our online platforms.
- We place no restrictions on your work in terms of premiere status or whether your work has been made available online.
- Any technical issues with the submitted films are 100% the responsibility of the filmmakers. If, at the time of judging, your video file doesn’t work or doesn’t have English subtitles (if in a language other than English), it will be automatically rejected, without a refund. Please contact the festival team ASAP if there are any issues with the submission process, and a solution will be found.
- We cannot provide refunds.
- By submitting to us you agree to our terms and conditions and to receiving marketing newsletters and discounts about film festivals in the form of emails. We will never sell your information to third parties.
- We reserve the right to update our terms and conditions.