Submissions for Open City Documentary Festival 2018 are now open. We're looking for the most exciting and innovative non-fiction storytelling in short, mid-length and feature length documentaries as well as cross-platform projects.
Open City Documentary Festival creates an open space to nurture and champion the art of creative documentary and non-fiction filmmakers, and over 4,000 people attended last year's festival to enjoy some of the very best in contemporary and international documentary. Submit your film now for your chance to be a part of London's documentary festival.
Each year we recognise a number of films in the festival with our awards. Recent Jurors include Cristi Puiu (Filmmaker), Pawel Pawlikowski (Filmmaker), Lucien Castaing-Taylor (Filmmaker), Gillian Wearing (Artist), John Akomfrah (Filmmaker/Artist), Nicolas Philibert (Filmmaker), Briony Hanson (British Council), Mads Mikkelsen (CPH:DOX), Beadie Finzi (Doc Society), Bec Evans (Dazed), Katerina Cizek (Interactive Documentary-maker), Diana Tabakov (Doc Alliance), David Wilson (True/False), Toby Jones (Actor), Carmen Gray (Film Critic), Nick Bradshaw (Sight & Sound) and Charlotte Cook (Field of Vision)
Prizes are awarded in three categories:
Grand Jury Prize
Best International Emerging Award
Best UK Short Award
In recent years, winners of the feature prizes have been awarded a €500 cash prize, with the Best UK Short Award winner receiving mentorship and financial support for festival travel from the British Council. Prizes for the 2018 festival will be announced shortly.
1. Open City Documentary Festival (OCDF) screening programmes are curated and all submissions will be fully considered by the Programming Team.
2. OCDF accepts documentary films of all lengths and subject matter, originating from anywhere in the world.
3. OCDF only accepts submission of documentary films completed after 1 January 2017.
4. All entries must be in English or contain English subtitles. Non-English entries submitted without subtitles, or supplementary printed translations, will be automatically disqualified.
5. Only completed entries (Entry Form, Preview Screener, Payment) will be processed and considered for screening.
6. Each submission must be accompanied by the appropriate Entry Fee. Entry Fees are not refundable. All payments must be in UK sterling. Films submitted with the incorrect entry fee or in a currency other than UK sterling will not be considered for selection.
7. OCDF accepts FilmFreeway and Vimeo Secure Online Screeners for preview purposes. Whilst we can also accept DVDs, this must be additional to an online screener.
8. DVD entries must be marked with production title and tracking number. Please ensure that DVDs are checked on a stand-alone player before dispatch.
9. DVD entries must be sent to:
Open City Documentary Festival
UCL, 14 Taviton Street
London WC1H 0BW
10. OCDF is unable to return preview copies.
11.Only completed films may be submitted unless special circumstances apply. Please contact the programmers in this case.
12. OCDF does not accept resubmissions unless substantial changes have been made. Please contact the programmers if you have any specific questions.
13. OCDF does not have a premiere requirement, but please do inform the programmers about previous screenings by filling the relevant section in the submission form.
14. Every reasonable effort will be made to protect films and tapes from damage or loss, but the Festival, and its management cannot assume liability for damage or loss.
COSTS AND FEES
16. Waivers (free entry) are granted only to select filmmakers who have been invited to submit by the Programming Team.
17. The cost of postage and packing of an entry to the Festival must be paid by the entrant.
18. If selected, the cost of postage and packing of screening copy (inbound print transport) to the Festival will be covered by OCDF. The filmmaker must cover the costs associated with the return or forwarding of screening copy (outbound print transport) after the festival.
19. OCDF is unable to offer any screening fees for films submitted to the Festival.
20. If a film is selected for screening, the Festival will contact the entrant by e-mail. All entries will be notified by July 1st 2018 at the latest, barring unforeseen circumstances. If for some reason you haven’t received an email by this date, please check festival website for programme announcements or contact the Programming Team.
21. Following selection, the Festival will provide all successful entrants with a Screening Agreement and delivery schedule.
22. All entries are viewed and chosen by the Programming Team. Final selections are at the sole discretion of the Festival.
23. All films selected will be made available for public viewing. All timings, date and venue details will be assigned by the Festival.
24. The Festival reserves the right to place films into relevant programme strands.
25. Preference will be given but is not limited to submissions that have not been distributed theatrically.
26. If selected, the entrant grants OCDF the right to utilize publicity materials related to the production (e.g. press kits, posters, stills, etc.) for promotional purposes and to broadcast or screen clips of a maximum of five minutes.
27. If selected, the entrant must provide OCDF with a secure online screener and DVD of the complete film for the festival to make available to members of the press and jury (if applicable).
28. Successful entries may also be used for private press screenings prior to the festival. In this case, the Festival would contact the entrant in advance.
29. Films selected for public presentation at OCDF will also be eligible for subsequent or additional screenings carried out by Open City Docs outside of the Festival itself.
30. All films selected for OCDF 2017, with the exception of those screening in retrospective programmes, are eligible for awards. Shortlisted films will be determined by the Programming Team.
31. Awards will be decided and presented by a team of International Jury Members.
32. Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images and content in the entry.