Now in our nineteenth season, OUT HERE NOW: The Kansas City LGBT Film Festival is one of the Midwest's most visible and highly-regarded LGBT cultural programs and the city's oldest and best-attended community film program.
We are especially proud of our long standing commitment to showcasing timely, independent films by, for about the LGBT community....and shining a light on the works of emerging filmmakers from around the world with our appreciative audiences here in the Heartland of America.
Films submitted will be considered for our eight-day showcase in June as well as for OUT HERE NOW's on-going, pop-up cinema events held at various venues throughout the Kansas City metropolitan area.
In addition to the films chosen as our Opening Night, Closing Night and Centerpiece Selections, the festival bestows these special honors and honorariums to filmmakers.
• Celebration of Courage Award - Documentary - $500.00
• Jury Award - Feature Film - $500.00
• Director's Showcase Selection - Director & Film - $500.00
• Audience Awards - include Best Feature and Best Documentary. Audience Awards for Best Dramatic Short, Best Comedy Short, and Best Youth-Themed Short carry an additional $100.00 each to the winning filmmaker.
• Out Here Now Short Film Competition - Our festival's closing night event where short films (under 10 minutes) pre-selected by our screening team are presented to the audience. The audience vote at this showcase determines the winner of a $100.00 cash prize awarded to the filmmaker.
1. OUT HERE NOW: THE KANSAS CITY LGBT FILM FESTIVAL (hereinafter referred to as OUT HERE NOW) is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen items, including films in any medium, while en-route or in our possession, on or off of festival grounds.
2. Digital online screener submissions are preferred using FilmFreeway’s digital submission process (Vimeo/YouTube links). Short Films are required to use the FilmFreeway digital submission process. For Feature length films, if you cannot submit via online screener then a Region 0 or Region 1 DVD or Bluray may be submitted. Any DVD/Bluray submitted will not be returned. It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to ensure the submitted DVD/Bluray plays in a standard DVD/Bluray player.
3. All films submitted must be in English dialogue or contain onscreen English subtitles. The festival reserves the right to disqualify any film that does not meet this requirement. A separate entry form and additional entry fee must be submitted for each film.
4. It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to obtain all necessary copyrights. By submitting the film you maintain you have obtained all necessary rights for exhibition.
5. COMPLETION DATE: The film must have been completed on or after June 1, 2017.
6. PREMIERE STATUS: No premiere requirement
7. Works in progress may be submitted but it must be stated on the application. If selected it is the responsibility of the Applicant to ensure the completed version arrives to the festival before the festival begins.
8. Films may have distribution.
9. All submissions are final. No refunds are provided.
10. Notification of Official Selections will be approximately 6 weeks before screening date.
If submission is selected into the festival, for exhibition purposes, an Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) or H264 digital file will be required for all Short Films for exhibition purposes. All Features Films accepted to the festival, for exhibition purposes, the Applicant must submit a Region 0 or Region 1 Bluray or DVD. At least one “backup” copy Bluray is also encouraged. (At a minimum, 1 backup DVD is required). These formats must be received no later than 2 weeks before screening date. Instructions will accompany official notification.
SCHEDULING: Films are scheduled at the discretion of OUT HERE NOW. OUT HERE NOW retains the right to make changes to the published schedule at any time and for any reason. Films may be screened more than once. Short films may be screened at subsequent screenings for up 3 months. Every effort will be made to contact the filmmaker before a screening that occurs outside of the OUT HERE NOW festival dates.
RELEASE - OUT HERE NOW is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations. The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless OUT HERE NOW from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.
We will not watch films submitted on any other websites. OUT HERE NOW, its members, directors,, and volunteers are not responsible for broken or incorrectly submitted URLs. Submissions may not be withdrawn from the Festival once they have been entered, except at the sole discretion of the Festival directors. There are no refunds for entries with incomplete entry forms, or incorrectly formatted preview materials. In our experience, Vimeo.com screeners have the best HD playback, and are preferred by our screening team. OUT HERE NOW no longer accepts DVD screeners.