We are pleased to announce we will be hosting the 2020 Nightpiece Film Festival over two days on Saturday 10th and Sunday 11th October at The Avenue Theatre, Sittingbourne, Kent, UK. This is our Covid enforced rescheduling from the cancelled 2020 EdFringe. Back in Edinburgh for 2021.
2020 Main Selections Trailer just launched here:
Any films submitted for 2020, you'll still automatically get a waiver code for additional free entry in 2021 when this season's entries conclude.
In virtual form, one part of the Nightpiece Film Festival has already been associated with Edinburgh Fringe this August. Featured as part of theSpaceUK's virtual Fringe programming on YouTube we premiered Festival Director Al Carretta's 16th indie feature film - 'Set Roaring War' which was produced entirely in UK lockdown.
Our event dateline reflects our re-scheduling and all of our entry deadlines are extended accordingly, however, please note although the 2020 Edinburgh Festival Fringe is officially cancelled, EdFringe is the regular home of Nightpiece Film Festival, the Avenue is our revised Covid contingency and we'll be back in Edinburgh for 2021.
Nightpiece Film Festival History
We have premiered films in the past six years of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe that have gone on to many other festivals across the world. Recent examples that began their festival runs at Nightpiece include Kit Loyd's 'The Audition' (2019), Charlotte Bydwell's 'The Nude Model' (2018) and Keith Farrell's 'Rabbit Punch' (2017).
Since 2014 we've now showcased over 250+ films. The 2019 Nightpiece Film Festival ran from Monday 19th - Friday 23rd August and presented 28 films across 5 thematically curated programmes presented at Symposium Hall (v43), Edinburgh as part of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
The 2019 Main selections trailer can be viewed here:
The 2019 Programme is available here:
(Vimeo and Issuu searches will also reveal previous year's media content.)
Previously Screened Filmmakers
If you were present at Nightpiece Film Festival in 2019, we invite you to submit your current project for free; email for a waiver code.
GENERAL RULES & ETHOS - 2020
Please read carefully.
Entry to the Nightpiece Film Festival is considered as follows.
GUIDELINES FOR THE CURATED PROGRAMME (ALL SUBMISSIONS from 2020)
Entry Categories with 'Premiere' Requirement
1. We only accept UK films that can be announced with WORLD PREMIERE status. Films with previous screening history (other than private shows) are not accepted and will not be considered.
2. For any film made outside the UK your film must have at least UK PREMIERE status.
3. Films must be beyond 1m00s and less than 15m00s in length.
4. Your film MUST have a Social Media campaign in existence with the minimum acceptable requirement being a Twitter handle. Acknowledgement of your film's inclusion in the programme is an essential process of our marketing campaign and should be a priority for your film too. We reserve the right to de-select your film if you do not make basic efforts to promote your work.
5. For general guidance, films should align with the following statements:
- Be of a rating that roughly aligns with ‘BBFC’ Classifications e.g. PG / 12A / 15 / 18
- Be of clear narrative construction.
- Be of a technically screenable quality.
- Be made after Summer 2019.
6. You must submit your film to us in the following file format:
Resolution: 1920x1080 16:9, HD
Format: Quicktime ProRes 422 (HQ)
Please do not submit odd aspect ratios (e.g.1920x806). If the ratio is odd put your finished film in a 1920x1080 HD container.
7. If picked as an early selection, we need an excerpt of your finished film for the trailer before Sunday 31st May 2020. For all films, we need final cut no later than Sunday 26th July 2020.
8. The early selection is announced early June 2020 to coincide with EdFringe Programme launch day, however additional selections are made beyond this point up until the Last Chance deadline on 31st July 2020.
9. We need direct acknowledgement of your acceptance of the film into the programme no more than 14 days after the selection notification from FilmFreeway. In the case of 'Last Chance' selections we need confirmation within 48hrs.
10. We reserve the right to reject short films that do not meet the above criteria.
Entry Categories with Non-Premiere Requirement
1.Considered as above excluding sections 1 & 2 and noting that:
-Films submitted in the student category must be less than 10m00s.
-Films submitted in the all other films category must be less than 20m00s.
By submitting to the festival the contributor declares that he/she has obtained all necessary rights and permissions to present the film at Nightpiece Film Festival.
The filmmaker must own or have cleared copyright of all aspects of the submitted film. This includes all music and images used. Nightpiece Film Festival accepts no responsibility, financial or otherwise, in regards to clearing copyrighted material.
By submitting a film for consideration to Nightpiece Film Festival the filmmaker/production company grant NFF the right to screen the film throughout the duration of the festival in any capacity and to use the material submitted for promotional purposes prior to the festival.
1.For UK based Premiere status entries, we do expect filmmaker representation.
As the World's largest Arts Festival, there is more than enough to do in Edinburgh to justify a networking trip.
2.Guest list complimentary tickets for selected entries are discussed by arrangement closer to the event in August 2020.
PRIZES & INCENTIVES
1.Unless specifically announced, no travel or accommodation expenses, incentives
or prizes of any form are offered to Filmmakers participating in the Nightpiece
NIghtpiece Film Festival
2020 Entry Rules & Terms and Conditions of Entry