Next Generation Indie Film Awards is a not-for-profit organization whose team includes Academy Award and Emmy winning filmmakers and actors, and film industry leaders from around the globe. The organization was created by the founders of Next Generation Indie Book Awards – the largest international awards program for independent authors and publishers. Next Generation Indie Film Awards is devoted to supporting filmmakers through its annual awards and other programs. It endeavors to assist filmmakers at any stage of the filmmaking process in reaching an audience, and aims to advance filmmakers’ careers through services, education, and resources. Our organization has provided financial backing for more than 50 independent short film projects.
Next Generation Indie Film Awards is now accepting submissions for its 2022 awards program. For more information, visit www.indiefilmawards.co.
Annual awards ceremonies are hosted by actor Calum Worthy (Austin & Ally, American Vandal, The Act) and held at Loews Hotel in Hollywood, with an after party at The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. Attendees include program winners, finalists, honorees, and their guests; program judges; industry partners and sponsors from world-leading film companies; and press representatives.
Next Generation Indie Film Awards partners with industry-leading film companies to put together a Prize Package for the winner of the Best Overall Film (Feature or Short). Only films submitted in the following two categories are considered for the Prize Package:
- Best Feature Film (Any Genre)
- Best Short Film (Any Genre)
The 2021 Prize Package contained over $125,000 worth of credits towards film services and rentals aimed to support the winning filmmaker in creating their next passion project in Los Angeles. The Prize Package included credits towards production rentals from Quixote, software from Final Draft, a camera package from Keslow Camera, post-production services from Sugar Studios LA, a screening at the American Film Market, and more.
The 2021 Prize Package winner, winning the overall Best Short Film category was: 'The Present', directed by Farah Nabulsi. The Present was a nominee in the Best Live Action Short Film category at the 2021 Academy Awards and won a BAFTA for Best British Short Film in 2021.
Each year, Next Generation Indie Film Awards awards the prestigious Indie Darling Award - an honorary award recognizing a trailblazing artist making outstanding contributions in film and television. In 2021, Next Generation Indie Film Awards was thrilled to name four-time Emmy and Golden Globe nominee Natasha Lyonne (Russian Doll, Orange Is the New Black) as its 2021 Indie Darling Award Winner. Breakthrough filmmaker Elegance Bratton (My House, Pier Kids) was awarded the organization’s Indie Impact Award.
2021 PRIZE DETAILS BELOW | 2022 Prize details to be announced soon
**ONLY FILMS SUBMITTED IN THE FOLLOWING TWO CATEGORIES WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR THE PRIZE PACKAGE:
- BEST FEATURE FILM (ANY GENRE)
- BEST SHORT FILM (ANY GENRE)
1. 2021 GRAND PRIZE VALUED AT OVER $125,000. Next Generation Indie Film Awards has partnered with film industry leaders to put together a Prize Package for the Winner of the "Best Short Film" category. The Prize Package contains over $125,000 worth of credits towards film services and rentals aimed to help the winning filmmaker make a passion project in Los Angeles, California. The package includes: professional studio spaces and stages in Los Angeles, equipment (grip, electric, rigging), camera and lenses, post production (editorial, sound mixing, color grading, digital final mastering), AFM (American Film Market) Screening on Demand and listing, an Executive Badge for AFM 2021, a private film screening, an all-inclusive daylong drone shoot, and more.
2. INDUSTRY AWARDS GALA AT LOEWS HOLLYWOOD HOTEL. Winners and finalists are invited to attend the Next Generation Indie Film Awards annual gala at Loews Hotel in Hollywood, California. Loews adjoins the Dolby Theatre, where the Academy Awards are held, and is adjacent to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Loews Hollywood Hotel supplies breathtaking views of the Hollywood Hills and famous landmarks including the Hollywood Sign and Capitol Records Building.
3. LAURELS. All award winners and finalists are provided with a laurel which may be used for their own marketing and promotional materials.
4. GOLD STATUETTE. In addition to industry recognition and rights to use the prestigious Next Generation Indie Film Awards laurel, winners also receive a gold statuette to commemorate their outstanding achievement in their respective independent short filmmaking category.
Next Generation Indie Film Awards is proud to partner with industry-leading companies, including: Quixote Studios, AFM (American Film Market), Final Draft, Drone Dudes, Keslow Camera, InkTip, Santa Monica College, Loews Hotel, Pollution Studios, Sugar Studios LA, Rocket Panda Post, Westside Production Rentals, Hot Bricks, heywhatsyourface, inc., Birns & Sawyer, Audio Department LLC, West One Music Group and more.
The 2022 Next Generation Indie Film Awards is open to all independent films/filmmakers anywhere in the world that meet the following criteria:
- Total runtime for shorts may be no more than 60 minutes; for features, no less than 60 minutes
- The film was produced in 2016 or later
- The film has not already won or placed as a finalist in the Next Generation Indie Film Awards
If you are under the age of majority where you live, your parent or legal guardian must give you permission to submit your film. Your film will be disqualified from our program if submitted without the permission of your parent or legal guardian.