The 2023 Syracuse International Film Festival will take place online and in-person this September and October of 2023 over the course of two weeks. Now in its 20th year, SIFF seeks to bring the film industry to Syracuse, NY and mentor local youth about the value of cinema's enduring interdisciplinary and international appeal.
SIFF presents films from around the world curated from an invitational main program. Juried competitions are held for the New Filmmakers Showcase and High School Competition legs of the Festival. We are excited to return this year to once again present some of the greatest content from around the world, the country, and in NEW YORK STATE!
Eligible films can be on any subject, any genre, and include Narrative, Animation, Experimental, and Music Videos. Music Videos will be judged based on the creative quality and concept of the visual aesthetic.
For more information contact Festival President Michelle DiBernardo at Michelle@SyrFilm.com or visit www.SyracuseFilmFestival.com.
Official selections will be provided with SIFF laurels. Monetary prizes and non-monetary citations will be given for the top films selected by the jury, depending on the availability of funds. Prize categories will be announced at a forthcoming date after submissions close.
Please read carefully. Failure to result in the following rules and terms will result in automatic disqualification.
- Films may only be submitted thorough FilmFreeway.
- Submissions are open to students currently enrolled at Syracuse University, Syracuse NY for the "Syracuse University New Filmmakers' Showcase" category. Submitted films to the "Syracuse University New Filmmaers' Showcase" category must have been completed on or after January 1st, 2020. Submissions are open to ALL students for the "New Filmmakers International" category. Submitted films to the "New Filmmakers International" category must have been completed on or after January 1st, 2022.
- Films may be submitted to more than one category.
- All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
- Submission fees will increase incrementally as we near the final deadline for the New Filmmakers International category.
- We must have a link to your film in order to review it. Hard copies and/or files requiring download will not be considered. However, if your film is selected for screening, we will contact you for a high-quality, downloadable copy.
- Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. SIFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
- Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
- Students must send verification of their student status with a picture of your valid university identification. Please send an email to email@example.com with this information to supplement your submission.
- We reserve the right to use stills, posters, and descriptions for promotional purposes.
- Unless the submitter objects at the time of submission, officially selected films will be shown online for a limited term of two weeks through our website, SyrFilm.com in September / October 2023, so that the area community and the worldwide public have an opportunity to view them. In addition, SIFF may contact filmmakers to offer additional screening opportunities on our website and/or other venues.
- SIFF does not pay additional charges for originals, masters, or special prints.