Celebrate the best in new filmmaking and screenwriting at the BV New Film Festival.
Located in Los Angeles, at the heart of the film industry, the BV New Film Fest is dedicated to serving film enthusiasts with a world-class program honoring the best in contemporary film. The focus of the BV New Film Festival is the screening of under-represented filmmakers and writers of exceptional talent.
The BV New Film Festival promotes the advancement of innovative cinema from emerging filmmakers, embracing the passion of new filmmaking to stimulate public interest in the study and appreciation of the art and craft of cinema.
BV SCREENPLAY LIVE READINGS PROGRAM
For Screenwriters: The BV New Film Fest holds dozens of two-hour live readings of the best screenplays submitted throughout the year. With hosted performances that utilize a full cast of working Los Angeles actors, in a professionally directed and rehearsed program open to the public!
Submit your screenplay today to the live read program!
No other festival offers this unique reward for winning screenplays.
ABOUT THE NEW FILM FEST
The BV New Film Festival takes over the cinema screens for a multi-week film fest and celebration each fall, exhibiting the best in new cinema, showcasing undiscovered talent, and encouraging filmmakers of all ages, backgrounds, and skill levels to participate. 16 mm films, Web content, and Screenwriting are also showcased, with a full stage reading of our best unproduced screenplay winners. Awards are given to the best work in each programing category.
The BV Studio Lot hosts current television and film productions and the on-site Cinemas, now programmed by the BV New Curator Program, screen classic independent films, providing a forum for understanding of cinema thru the promotion of a diverse library of independent films.
The New Film Fests exists from a devotion to cinema; from motion pictures created at invention of film and up until present day, and a love for the cinema houses that host such films. BV Cinemas and The New Film Fest believe deeply in the cultural and social enrichment that comes from viewing and discussing films in a public cinema atmosphere.
BV Cinemas are a community based, non-profit, volunteer, and member-supported cinema in Los Angeles, dedicated to preserving film and film history, through enriching, connecting, educating and outreach to communities with lectures, forums, discussions, events and movie screenings of classic and overlooked filmmaking.
Submit your film exclusively via FilmFreeway!
GENERAL FESTIVAL GUIDELINES
BV Cinemas operates year-round as a revival cinema focusing on classic cinema, and t hosts the film event know as The New Film Festival, which occurs each fall, with the purpose to screen new work from up-and-coming directors. The New Film Fest only notifies submissions of acceptance.
Feature films submitted to the New Film Fest should be over 45 minutes, with a maximum of 185 minutes. Short films should be under 45 minutes, with a minimum of 2 minutes. Music Videos should be under 4 minutes. Films must have been completed after 2012.
1. All payments and Submissions must be received by Deadline Dates listed on FilmFreeway.
2. DO NOT mail your submission. New Film Festival accepts submissions only via FilmFreeway Online Screener system, or other online screeners (Vimeo) with DOWNLOADABLE links. All digital files are downloaded before viewing by 8 judges in a cinema setting. No films are judged on small screens!
3. The New Film Fest only notifies submissions of acceptance. Accepted films will be notified 4 -10 weeks prior to the Festival. At that time, a BluRay/DVD/VHS/Digital File (24 fps) or 16 mm Film Print (depending on category entered) must be shipped to the festival promptly. If sending BluRay: No menu screen and DVD back up required.
4. All applicants must be 18 years or age or older, or have legal parent or guardian apply on behalf of any minor submitting work to The New Film Festival.
5. Entries received, late incomplete, or broken may be disqualified.
6. Entry fees are payable through FilmFreeway payment systems and are non-refundable.
7. Entrants are responsible for obtaining any necessary licenses, royalties, release forms, clearances, permits necessary to present their work. The New Film Festival and BV Cinemas are not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, or royalty infringement related to the work. In the event of copyright disputes accepted films may possibly be pulled from festival exhibition.
8. Please keep and check the email and phone number used in your submission. This is how the festival will contact accepted films.
9. Please carefully read New Film Fest Guidelines and all Terms & Conditions as well as the Disclaimer of Warranties below, prior to submitting to the New Film Festival.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
- By entering or submitting to the New Film Festival, the participant acknowledges understanding and agreeing to all festival Rules, Terms, Conditions, Guidelines, and Disclaimer of Warranties associated with the Festival and listed below.
- The festival and our venues reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.
- Submitters agree that clips from films and other materials related to their project may be used and/or published in the website, digital and print event programs, and for any promotional purposes deemed appropriate by the festival.
- Entries in our competitions are void where prohibited by law.
- Films cannot be tied to a domestic (United States) distribution deal.
- No screeners and/or promotional materials will be returned to the filmmaker, unless arranged in advance with the festival office via mail.
- If selected, all commercial/private property including all trademark/copyrighted materials shown or recorded are the responsibility of the filmmaker.
- The cost of delivery and pick-up of all materials is the responsibility of the filmmakers.
- The festival and any venues used, hold no responsibility for lost or damaged prints.
- Screenings of accepted films are subject to delay and/or change at any time with or without prior notice.
- By submitting to this festival, the submitter agrees to the following:
Submitter owns or controls the copyright in and to this film, and is authorized to submit this film to the New Film Festival and to the best of their knowledge, all statements the following statements are true; This film contains no material which could result in tort claims, royalty claims, claims for breach of contract, or claims of any sort whatsoever; If this film is selected for screening, Submitter grants the festival the right to screen this film; Submitter understands and agrees that this film entry, if selected by the Festival, may have elements used for promotional purposes for the Festival, and/or its partners and submitter grants the rights to use up to eight minutes of footage, photographic stills and/or titles and information from the film for promotional purposes; Submitter fully indemnifies and holds the festival, all screening venues and festival partners harmless from: a) damage to or loss of the film print, digital copy , DVD, BluRay, Hard Drive, DCP, or videotapes en route to or from the festival and/or during the course of festival or afterwards; and b) from any claims which may arise in connection with this film. If a claim arises in connection with this film, Submitter will bear all the costs of defense incurred and pay any award of damages which may ensue. Submitter also agrees to reimburse the festival for any attorney fees incurred in connection with the defense of any such claims.
Submitter understands that the festival reserves the right to place my film in the appropriate competition category. By submitting my film, Submitter admits to understanding and and agreeing to comply with and agree to the all BV Cinemas, New Film Festival, and all partner venue Terms of Entry, general rules, and eligibility requirements.
DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES
Submitter acknowledges and agrees that their use of website, attendance at New Film Festival and BV Cinema events, and submission entry into any festival event is at their sole risk. The New Film Festival does not make any representation or warranty as to the accuracy, correctness, or completeness of any content appearing on the festival website or the FilmFreeway website and is not responsible for any errors or omissions of content, or generally for the reliability, accuracy, or quality of any content appearing on any website or any materials published, unpublished or distributed by BV Cinemas, The New Film Festival or any of it's affiliates. The Festival is not responsible for any failures, delays, or interruptions of any festival related website. The festival and festival partners and venue make no representation of warranty and disclaim any implied warranties of TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, and FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
By submitting to the Festival, YOU acknowledge and agree that under NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL the festival or our venues be responsible for any loss or damage caused by your reliance on the content obtained by this or any New Film Festival connected or related website, or caused by your conduct.
Indemnification - You agree to indemnify, defend and hold The New FIlm Festival, BV Cinemas, and our partner venues harmless from any claim, expense or demand, including without limitation reasonable attorneys´ fees, made by any third party due to, or arising out of your breach of this Agreement, or your violation of any law or the rights of a third party.
Governing Law - You acknowledge and agree that this Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of California, excluding conflict of laws provisions thereof that would indicate the application of the laws of any other jurisdiction and you hereby submit to exclusive jurisdiction in the federal and state courts of California. You agree to receive service of process through certified mail or by other means sanctioned by law, and you expressly waive any claim of improper venue and any claim that such courts are an inconvenient forum.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY - IN NO EVENT SHALL THE NEW FILM FESTIVAL, BV CINEMAS, or OUR PARTNER VENUES BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENCIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH USE OF THE WEBSITE / ATTENDANCE AT ANY FESTIVAL EVENT / ENTERING ANY FESTIVAL COMPETITION / SUBMITTING ANY WORK FOR FESTIVAL REVIEW OR SCREENING, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION FOR LOST PROFITS OR BUSINESS, OR ANTICIPATED LOST PROFITS OR BUSINESS, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE NEW FILM FESTIVAL, BV CINEMAS AND AFFILIATES AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO SUBMITTER OR ANY THIRD PARTY IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO ANY FESTIVAL SITE OR TO THIS AGREEMENT IS LIMITED TO $200.
General - If any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck and the remaining provisions shall be enforced. You agree that this Agreement may be automatically assigned by The NEW FILM FESTIVAL, in its sole discretion, to a third party. Section headings are for reference purposes only and in no way define, limit, construe or describe the scope or extent of such section. Our failure to act with respect to a breach by you or others does not waive our right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches. This Agreement, along with any other terms and conditions regulating use of the Website, sets forth the entire understanding and agreement between us with respect to the subject matter hereof. The provisions of this Agreement and any ancillary terms and conditions will survive termination or expiration to extent necessary to carry out intentions of the parties.
Trademarks - Unless otherwise indicated, all names, graphics, designs, logos, page headers, button icons, scripts, commercial markings, trade dress, and service names included in the Website are trademarks of the NEW FILM FESTIVAL, BV Cinemas, and are protected by the trademark laws of the United States and other jurisdictions. You may not use, copy, reproduce, republish, distribute, modify or post any Trademarks in any way, including in advertising or publicity pertaining to or distribution of materials on the Website, without our prior written consent. The Trademarks may not be used in any manner that is likely to cause confusion, or in any manner that disparages or discredits us.