The Navajo Film Festival is a first-of-its-kind competition to celebrate short films produced entirely in the Navajo language. The goal of the competition is to increase interest in the Navajo language by encouraging filmmakers to use it in their work. All genres are welcome, including narrative fiction, documentaries, cooking demonstrations, animation, music videos, etc., so long as they meet our primary requirement, that the films be entirely in the Navajo language.
Adult Category (18 and older):
- 1st Place: $300
- 2nd Place: $200
- 3rd Place: $100
Youth Category (17 and under):
- 1st Place: $150
- 2nd Place: $100
- 3rd Place: $50
Audience Choice Award: $100
- The Audience Choice Award is open to anyone even if they already won one of the other prizes.
- Each entry must be filmed entirely in the Navajo language.
- Films should be appropriate for audiences as young as 14.
- Films must not exceed four minutes in length.
- Films must have been created within the last four years.
- The filmmaker must own the rights to their film and not violate any copyrights.
- Only one entry per filmmaker.
- Entrant agrees to grant the Navajo Film Festival permission for accepted films and related marketing materials to be reproduced and distributed – in whole or in part – for purposes of judging, education, and promotion of the festival in addition to the public screening at the festival itself. We are currently planning several post-festival screenings.