ABOUT THE NYPSFF
The first ever NY Portuguese Short Film Festival (NYPSFF) in the United States premiered in New York and simultaneously in Lisbon on June 2011. The festival was produced and hosted by Arte Institute. Since 2012, the annual NYPSFF has taken place at Tribeca Cinemas in New York and in Lisbon. It was the first time that a short film festival involving Portuguese cinema and connecting two cities, New York and Lisbon, at the same time, ever happened in the United States. The two days Festival consists of the screening of short films produced in Portugal and abroad by Portuguese filmmakers. After the broad acceptance from the American public to the festival, Arte Institute has taken NYPSFF to Brazil, United Kingdom, Angola, Australia, Poland, Mozambique, Germany, Canada, China, Thailand, Kenia, Czech Republic, Senegal, Equatorial Guinea and South Africa, largely amplifying the universe Portuguese cinema viewers.
The mission of the NY Portuguese Short Film Festival is to bring Portuguese culture to the big screen and showcase films with a unique Portuguese perspective. The NYPSFF offers a contemporary Portugal full of ideas and spirit while bridging audiences with different cultural background.
The objective of the NY Portuguese Short Film Festival is to promote contemporary Portuguese cinema produced in Portugal and abroad. All short films presented at the NYPSFF are written and directed by Portuguese. By screening the work at the Festival, Arte Institute further develops opportunities for Portuguese filmmakers and the interest for their projects at a national and international level.
ABOUT THE ARTE INSTITUTE
Founded on April 11, 2011 the Arte Institute is a non-profit organization that promotes culture and showcases art from Portugal. It is a space that offers a creative environment for Portuguese artists in the field of art, literature, music, dance and film.
The Arte Institute provides a space for inter-cultural inspiration and is a catalyst for an innovative artistic dialogue between the many communities in New York and the Portuguese artists. This environment fosters a unique exchange between traditional and non-traditional views of how art can bridge audiences with different cultural background.
"NY Portuguese Short Film Festival by Arte Institute - a window for Portuguese cinema to the world"
The short films will be subject to a judging panel, composed by industry professionals.
The judging panel will be responsible for the selection of short films. Based on this selection, Arte Institute will organize the NYPSFF 2019 program.
There will be awards for the winners of NYPSFF 2019.
After the Award event in New York, the NYPSFF will screen the festival's Official Selection in several cities worldwide. Check the NYFSFF 's website for more info http://arteinstitute.org/nypsff/
WHO CAN APPLY?
1. Individuals residing in Portugal or abroad who are of Portuguese nationality.
2. Portuguese production companies with Portuguese short films produced.
3. Portuguese educational institutions in conjunction with their Portuguese students.
The responsible person for the film submission must have had a main role in its production.
SUBMISSION ACCEPTANCE CRITERIA
1. The film running time should not exceed 18 minutes, and must have been produced in 2017, 2018 or 2019.
2. Films in any language will be accepted, given that proper subtitles in English and/or Portuguese are made available.
3. All genres, theme and styles will be accepted.
4. More than one film may be submitted by the same applicant.
SUBMISSION PROCESS / DEADLINES
The submission period will run from November 15, 2018 to March 1, 2019.
- Applications received between November 15 and December 15, 2018: 15 Euros / 17 USD
- Applications received between December 16, 2018 and January 15, 2019: 20 Euros / 23 USD
- Applications received between January 16 and March 1, 2019: 25 Euros / 29 USD
Students and NYPSFF 2018 participants are exempt from payment of the submission fee (students must send a copy of their student card or a letter from their school).
There will be no refunds for non selected films.
• After the fee payment, the applicant will receive an e-mail confirming the successful submission and fee reception.
• The applicant must submit a completed entry form at FilmFreeway and provide a private link with password to the short film for online viewing.
Please note that the submission process is not complete until the NYPSFF’s organization has received the film.
WHEN AND HOW WILL APPLICANTS KNOW IF THEIR FILM WAS SELECTED?
All applicants who have successfully completed the submission process will be informed about the status of their application via e-mail in April, 2019.
HOW CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
For more information please contact the NY Portuguese Short Film Festival organization by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, by phone at +1 6463736923, or visit http://www.arteinstitute.org/shortfilmfestival .