The NoWHere Film Festival (hereinafter called NWHFF) aims to experiments with new genres of art through a meeting of performing arts and visual arts and a festival that introduces various and experimental video creations and presents a sustainable creative system.
Entries will be awarded for a total of three categories below. For the winner, the festival will invite them as performers or guests in the next year, and the way of inviting could change depending on the situation.
1) NOWHERE : A Experimental film showing new attempts beyond the boundaries of the realm of art
2) NOW HERE : A film selected by the Jury of the Year
3) An audience award : A popular film chosen by the audience
The official sections of the NoWHere Film Festival are as follows:
Narrative based films such as movies, operas, plays, pansori etc (Narrative Film & Video)
Non-narrative videos such as art, media art, and design etc (Non-Narrative Film & Video)
All works submitted to the festival can be selected for competition and non-competition through screening by film festival judges.
1) The film must have been completed no earlier than January 1st, 2021 and all production must be completed by the deadline for submission.
2) The length of the film shall be limited to 30 minutes.
3) Films submitted for previous editions of the Festival should not be resubmitted. In case of new versions due to re-shooting, re-editing and etc., exceptional cases may apply by the decision of the Selection Committee
II. Entry Process
Entry to the Festival must be done through the festival’s online entry system:
Entrant must fill in requested information in each field.
III. Entry fee
No fee will be charged for film entry.
The deadline for the submission is August 14th (Sun), 24:00 (PST). Depending on the cases, additional entries can be received up to August 28th (Sun), 24:00 (PST).
V. Premiere Status
The NoWHere Film Festival considers films regardless of their premiere status. But Films that were not screened anywhere else in the country will be given preferential treatment.
VI. Entry Materials
Entrant must fill in requested entry form and provide Preview Screener link via online entry system. (http://filmfreeway.com/NWHFF)
1) Films submitted to the NoWHere Film Festival are deemed to be the copyright holder's party (including the case of the agreement with co-copyright holders), or to be submitted on behalf of the copyright holder upon the consignment.
2) It is the sole responsibility of the Applicant to secure authorization and permission from the copyright owner(s) of any and all copyrighted content or materials included within the submitted film. The Festival will not be held responsible for any unauthorized use of copyrighted content or materials within the submitted film, including any content or materials that are or may become the basis for any third party claims for copyright infringement.
3) If it is deemed that the copyright and/or portrait rights have not been cleared by the applicants, the Festival may cancel the selection and award of the film before, during or after the festival.
I. Selection Process
The Selection Committee will choose films for the official selection after screenings. Only selected films will be notified individually via email by September 12nd (Mon) (PST).
II. Withdrawal and/or cancellation of selection
Once a film has been selected, it cannot be withdrawn from the enlisted program. In the case of any intentional and/or unintentional misgiven information on the entry form, the Festival Selection Committee can reach an agreement to cancel the designated film’s status from the Program.
III. Screening section
If the selected film is screened, the program section can be adjusted by the festival management's decision.
The film will be screened on the online and offline screening platform during the film festival.
The final screening is a film that must be included a Korean or English subtitle. if it consists of other languages, English subtitle must be included.
▸ Materials list for selected films and its coverage (*APPLIES TO SELECTED ENTRANTS ONLY)
I. Materials list for selected film
For official section, each Entrant will keenly cooperate upon the request from the festival management.
- a screening agreement (The format will be provided at the film festival)
- Downloadable Screener (H.264 .mov or .mp4 / AAC / Image Size: 1920x1080)
- Dialogue List in English and Original language
- Synopsis in English
- Director’s photo and still photo of the selected film (at least 3 photos / 300 dpi)
- Director’s Filmography and Biography (in English)
- Cast & Credit List
- Poster of selected film
- Trailer (if available) : a downloadable file format
II. Use of materials and coverage
1) Materials provided by Entrant in the request from the Festival shall be used including for any promotional purpose, but not limited to Program Catalogue, promotional materials before and after the festival.
2) Festival’s promotional activity coverage includes but not limited to local and/or international newspapers, broadcasting, magazines, and online activities on festival’s official website and social media channels.
3) Festival can edit and/or extract the submitted trailer and/or excerpts of selected films to create its own promotional video. In case, trailer and/or excerpts are not available, the Festival is authorized to use of extracts of final screening version within three minutes, under its strict supervision. The excerpts will be used only for promotional purposes for the Festival.
4) Submitted screeners will be catalogued and made available for domestic and/or international juries, press, critics, and industry guests at the Video Library during the festival.
5) Submitted materials will not be returned and/or discarded unless otherwise a specific request from participants.
▸ Festival Archive
All selected films authorize that its provided screener will be part of the Festival Archive, thus will be catalogued and being open to be viewed at internal circulations by request or being screened only for educational & non-commercial purpose after the festival.
▸ General Regulations
1) As the entrant completed and signed on entry form, the entrant acknowledges and agrees to NWHFF Rules and Regulations for the festival. The above regulation take effect with the initial application for film is submitted to NWHFF, which contains the approval of the filmmaker or his/her representatives.
2) NWHFF reserves the right to make an independent decision on matters not concerning the above or where no decision has been specified.
3) In the event of a natural disaster or a social crisis, a situation may be changed from the contents of the above regulations, and in the event of a change in regulations, the relevant matters may be discussed with mutual consent.