NFFTY is the world’s largest, most influential film festival for emerging filmmakers 24 years old and younger. In 2023, we screened over 200 amazing short films representing 32 US states and 28 countries. We provide a first-class festival experience that includes four days of film screenings, parties, networking events, panels, and more!
We’re offering a 50% discount to all films submitted by Black, Indigenous, Asian & Pacific Islander and Latinx directors, as well as to films created by directors with disabilities and/or featuring performers with disabilities using the following codes:
We also consider additional discount and waiver requests on a case-by-case basis. To make a request, please fill out this short form: bit.ly/NFFTYSubmissionAssistance
The 17th edition of the NFFTY (National Film Festival for Talented Youth) will be held in Seattle, Washington, April 25th - 28th, 2024.
Jury Awards - We are committed to awarding the best short films created by filmmakers 24 and under from around the world, and we will be awarding both student and non-student films in the Narrative Short, Documentary Short, Animated Short, Experimental Short, and Music Video categories, as well as best overall Episodic, for a total of eleven Jury Prizes.
Audience Awards - Each showcase, or screening block, is eligible for its own Audience Award, and our festival features about 25 official selection showcases at each edition. Showcases are programmed based on the submissions we receive to NFFTY curatorial sensibilities, organized by themes, moods, subject matter, genres, social issues, and more.
Other Festival Prizes & Awards - We announce additional Special Achievement Awards and Special Awards closer to the festival. We'll also have awards and recognition for best films in the age categories of "14 and Under" and "15-18". In 2023, we gave out $8,000 in cash awards, over $10,000 in software and gear, and over $100,000 in additional scholarships.
Distribution - All NFFTY official selections are eligible for distribution deals. We work with some of the most prestigious shorts platforms in a variety of first look deals and work closely to pair with curatorial sensibilities which will best grow an audience. NFFTY involves curators and buyers from these platforms as workshop leaders, panelists, jury members, and more, so getting selected for and attending NFFTY can net you valuable industry contacts!
Rules & Terms
- The film’s director(s) must have been 24 years of age or younger at the time of production.
- To be considered for a Jury Award in the Student category or other Middle/High School-specific Awards, films must be conceived, produced, and finished by filmmakers 24 years old or younger with teachers and other mentors acting in advisory roles only. If students across multiple grade ranges worked on film, the film may be ineligible for certain awards, but you are still encouraged to submit in the Student category.
- Films must have been completed no earlier than January 2022.
- All music and other copyrighted material used in the film must be properly licensed and attributed. This includes Student Music Videos.
- All films must be in English or subtitled in English. All films that are selected are required to provide an .srt file or open captions for accessibility (English SDH) during public exhibition.
YOU MUST READ THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION BEFORE SUBMITTING:
View the Official Rules & Guidelines here: nffty.org/official-rules-guidelines
View Frequently Asked Questions here: nffty.org/frequently-asked-questions