After a historic year of change, 2021 is poised to be a year of transformation. And you can help.
Young Americans have been empowered to call out discrimination and seek justice on a personal and community level. Odyssey Impact is an international award-winning film and social impact company that has spent the last 30 years using the power of media to challenge injustices and inspire social change. Now, we ask you to join in our goal to educate, engage, and activate the public on racial and social inequities in our inaugural #MyJustice film contest.
- Do you believe in the power of media to inspire social change?
- Are you 18 to 30 years old?
- Do you have a smartphone?
- Is there a problem that you or your community is facing that needs to be addressed?
- Do you know how to address these needs?
If so, Odyssey Impact invites you to show us the difference you are making by creating a video short that highlights an issue plaguing you or your community that deserves greater public attention and can inspire others. All videos should be between 2 to 3-minutes long, filmed and edited on a smartphone, and offer a call to action that could make a difference in your life or those in your community.
WINNERS WILL RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING:
- Winners will have their films showcased in the Justice Film Festival in New York City this November, with the top scoring winner receiving a cash prize of $2,000 and the next nine high scoring winners receiving $1,000.
- The top ten winners will have their films premiere at the Justice Film Festival NYC this November.
- Additionally, the top five winners will receive a 1-year long mentorship with a film industry leader (to be determined by Odyssey Impact).
- All contestants must be between the ages of 18 to 30, on or before July 16, 2021, to be eligible for the contest.
- All submissions must be between 2 to 3 minutes in length and must be filmed and edited using a smartphone to be accepted. Films should include a title and credits.
- Films in languages other than English are welcomed, but they must be subtitled in English.
- Only nonfiction films are eligible for consideration, but they can be live-action or animated.
- To be eligible, films must not have been screened publicly, virtually or in-person, not have been broadcast, made available publicly online, commercially released or made available for download to the public.
- All submissions must be made via FilmFreeway.
- Films may be uploaded to FilmFreeway or may be shared to FilmFreeway via Vimeo link (uploads strongly preferred).
- Films must be the original work of contestants. If the film contains interviews, please obtain permission from your interviewees to be recorded with a release form.
- Judges will only consider the cut of the film that is shared at the time of submission.
- Contestants may only submit one film for consideration.
- Winners will be notified of their status, via email, no later than November 1, 2021.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
By submitting my film to the #MyJustice Film Contest, I agree to the following:
- I have the legal right to represent and to submit this Film to the #MyJustice Film Contest and Justice Film Festival NYC.
- Music and any other copyright clearances are my sole responsibility and, if selected for the #MyJustice Film Contest, I agree that the Film will be fully cleared prior to screening at the Justice Film Festival NYC in November 2021.
- I understand and agree that the Film, if selected for the #MyJustice Film Contest, may be used for promotional purposes for the Contest, Justice Film Festival, and/or its partners and sponsors; and I permit the Contest, Festival and its partners and sponsors, the right to use footage from the film (in its entirety), stills, synopsis, titles and/or information for such promotional purposes.
- If selected, I understand that I will share a download of the Film to Odyssey Impact, Inc., and I grant it the non-exclusive right to share the Film via its social media, website, and exhibition channels for a period of ten years commencing with the beginning of the Justice Film Festival NYC.
SELECTION OF WINNERS:
- Submitted films will be reviewed by the selection committee. Contestants given the ten highest scores by the committee will be chosen as the #MyJustice Film Contest winners, which will be announced no later than November 1, 2021.
- The winner with the highest score will receive a $2,000 cash prize. The next nine winners with the highest score will each receive a $1,000 cash prize. Each of the five top scoring winners will receive a 1-year long mentorship with a film industry leader (to be determined by Odyssey Impact). Each of the top ten winners will have their film premiere at the Justice Film Festival NYC (November 10 - November 13, 2021). Cash prizes will be paid no later than November 20, 2021.