MIFF is intended to be a showcase of Short Films and is designed to encourage and acknowledge the creative efforts involved with respect to this genre. We are a relatively smaller festival (growing each year), so we are able to accept a large portion of entries that get submitted, while keeping our costs down through sponsorships, community support, and efficient budgeting.
A unique feature of our festival is the infamous "M&M AWARD" (Murder, Mayhem, and More). This film block will NOT be family friendly due to adult content... but that isn't always a bad thing.
We are also debuting the "Micro-Short" Category. Telling a story in under 4 minutes is no easy task, but sometimes more is indeed less.
MIFF is very supportive of local/regional artists, as evidenced by the BEST IOWA MADE AWARD. It is hoped that providing an awards venue will inspire their creativity and innovative artistic media. This event is also an effort to provide Midwest residents and visiting artists with an engaging weekend of entertainment.
If you can't make it to the festival, you will be happy to know that we award a BEST OF SHOW laurel/designation that aspires not to discriminate between films with or without filmmakers in attendance. We don't mail you a trophy, but you do get a prestigious accolade to add to your credentials, along with a captive audience of filmmakers and enthusiasts that will appreciate your efforts.
Accepted filmmakers who attend will receive passes that include free admission to all film blocks, the VIP ROOM, and the red carpet/after-parties, along with a souvenir t-shirt. The after-parties are going to be 'Inspiring', and visiting Muscatine will be a unique chance to experience the charm of a Midwest River Town. Also, consdidering you can stay the night in the same building as the festival, you will really want to consider making it an overnighter in Iowa.
Visit our website for additional information and photos: www.MuscatineFilmFest.com.
Best Short Film - ("Grand Jury Prize" - Must be present to win)
Best Short Film ("Best of Show" - Regional/National/International Films)
Best Micro-Short Film (Under 4 Minutes)
Best Iowa Made Short Film
Best Local Film
Best Student Film
Best Sci-Fi (Experimental)
Murder/Mayhem (The Infamous "M&M Award")
Distinctive Achievement Certificates:
(Categories may include Cinematography, Music/Sound Design, Screenplay, Iowa Film Making/Acting , 1st Time Filmmaker, & Student Film Making.)
- We tend to preference short films under 20 minutes in total running time, including credits, however we will also consider longer films.
- All entries are eligible for the Viewer's Choice award.
-You only need to enter one category, but you will be considered for any relevant awards.
- Films must have been produced within 3 years of this year's event.
- "Best Local Films" are those produced by current residents of the Greater Muscatine area (35 mile radius of 52761, including the Quad Cities).
- Accepted entries will need to promptly deliver their presentation media.
- Digital HD files (1080p/720p) are the preferred format for accepted entries, made accessible via download.
- All attending award recipients will receive a trophy and/or certificate.
- We don't ship trophies to international destinations.
- We don't mail out the certificates (must be present).
- Attending filmmakers will receive 2 "VIP" passes and a swag bag with souvenir shirt.
Response from festival:
Thanks for coming to Muscatine! Our festival will grow each year, so it won't be 'little' next year. Your film was indeed eligible for the Best Iowa Film, but was also honored as an upgraded 'grand jury award eligible' contestant. Only 8 films were selected to be judged by the on-site panel. As you can see, your film was nominated, so made it into the top 5... Congrats! https://muscatinefilmfest.com/2018-nominations/