Mountainfilm uses the power of film, art and ideas to inspire audiences to create a better world. Mountainfilm is a multi-dimensional festival that celebrates adventure, activism, social justice, culture, environment and indomitable spirit. We accept and screen feature and short films on a broad range of subjects. We are always interested in work that focuses on mountains, mountain culture, and mountaineering, but we also showcase films about people who are dedicated to changing the world.
Mountainfilm promotes and encourages diversity behind the camera.
Best Documentary Feature: $5000
Vimeo Staff Pick Award: (sponsored by Vimeo — previous Staff Picks not eligible): $2500
Audience Choice Award: $5000
Women in Film Award: $2500
Moving Mountains Award (supports a non-profit featured in a film): $1000 + $1500 to the filmmakers
Charlie Fowler Best Adventure Film: $2500
Norman Vaughan Indomitable Spirit Award: $1500
Student Choice Award (awarded by a jury of local students): $1000
– Mountainfilm is a documentary film festival. If your film is not a documentary, please reconsider submitting.
– Feature documentaries are 40 minutes and longer. Shorts are under forty 40 minutes, including credits.
– Film entries may be of any length, from any country and on any subject in keeping with our mission. Subtitled films should either be in English or include English subtitles.
– At this time, Mountainfilm does not accept VR projects.
– With very few exceptions, Mountainfilm requires that films have not been screened or broadcast in Colorado prior to the festival. We take other previous screenings, broadcasts and online availability into consideration when making official selections.
– Mountainfilm prefers newer films for inclusion. For the 2020 edition, we are seeking films making their premieres after June of 2019.
– Mountainfilm will consider shorts that have had an online presence, though our preference is to highlight work that has not already reached a large audience.
– Mountainfilm strongly prefers Vimeo links over FilmFreeway's video uploads.
– A complete application including full contact information, a trailer (features only), hi-res production stills, director headshot & bio and a VIMEO screener link. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
– Your link must remain active until June 1, 2020.
– Entry fees are non-refundable.
– We are a DCP-only festival. If accepted to screen at Mountainfilm, you will be required to provide a DCP through our partner Simple DCP.
– If you are from an LMIC, please contact us for a submission fee discount.
– Due to the number of submissions received, Mountainfilm cannot provide feedback on entries.