All residents who live in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia are invited to shoot and edit their own horror short films and submit the films to the festival before October 7, 2023 for judging! RIVER’S EDGE SHORT HORROR FEST will be a live in-person event Saturday October 20th at the Clarke Theater. We’ll kick off the event with several International Short Horror Films, then continue with last years’ winners, a 2023 film by Mission Arts Council, and then all the submissions for 2023.
$500 for best in Show Adult, $250 for Honorable Mention Adult,
$150 Best in Show youth and $100 Honorable Mention Youth.
For all of the categories:
● Shoot a 2-minute horror film. Submissions under 2 minutes will be
accepted. SUBMISSIONS OVER 2 MINUTES IN LENGTH WILL NOT BE
ACCEPTED. Opening titles and closing credits are included in your runtime.
● The film must be filmed on a cell phone or other consumer camera.
No professional camera equipment can be used. External audio recorder is
● Your film must be acceptable for a PG-13 audience.
● Filmmakers can use their own original music in their film, or they may use
music that is copyright-free or public domain. Youtube has a free archive of
music and sound effects here: youtube.com/audiolibrary/music
● We suggest you download iMovie for free if you have a Mac. You can also
use a free editing program like OpenShot if you do not have video editing
software. OpenShot is a cross platform free editing software available at
www.openshot.org and a basic editing tutorial is available here:
● Each filmmaker may submit a maximum of two films.
● No guns
● The film must not be plagiarized from other works.
● The film cannot depict drug use in a recreational manner or include sex,
sexual violence or nudity.
● The MAC reserves the right to disqualify any film that it deems
inappropriate for a teen audience.
● We will accept links to online versions of your film. You may enter
a password protected link for Vimeo or an unlisted or private link for
Youtube when completing the submission form.
● Email links to email@example.com
● In your email add your full name, age, mailing address, phone #, name of
your film and what equipment you used.
● Your entry must be your original work and must not infringe upon the
copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy, publicity or other intellectual
property or other rights of any person or entity.
● By submitting your film, you pledge that identifiable people appearing in
the film consent to the submission.
● By submitting your film, you agree that the Mission Arts Council can use
your work (in whole or in part) to promote the Mission Arts Council’s
programs and events and the River’s Edge Short Horror Film Festival
For the 18 and under category:
● Participants must be 18 years and under and in middle school or high
school to enter.
● Other than being used as actors, adults cannot be involved in significant
phases of the film’s production.
● The film must include teen actors