ONLY MILLBURN PUBLIC SCHOOL STUDENTS MAY ENTER - USA, Millburn, New Jersey - Middle & High Public School students
NO OTHER APPLICANTS ACCEPTED
TBA - in the past we have given scholarships to New York Film Academy Summer Camps
SEE MILLBURNFILMFEST.COM to enter
The Millburn Film Fest is a project where the Education Foundation of Millburn-Short Hills puts students in the spotlight by showcasing Millburn Middle and High School students’ short films.
Submissions will be accepted from September 5, 2018 through February 25, 2019 (the Monday after February Break). All submissions must be postmarked or hand delivered to the Millburn Middle School front office, the Millburn High School front office, by February 26, 2018 and received by the Millburn Film Fest in order to be considered.
Eligibility to enter
• A full-time student that is enrolled in Millburn High School or Millburn Middle School for the academic year 2018-2019 who played a major role in the creation of an original film (i.e., a director, writer, cinematographer or editor).
• The film must have been completed between January 1, 2018 and the festival deadline of February 25, 2019. The film must be entirely a student production. Adults (industry professional, faculty, parent, guardian, or adult over the age of 19) may only assist in an advisory capacity or play a role as an actor or a documentary subject.
• A single student may contribute a maximum of two (2) films in which he/she played one or more of the following roles: producer, director, writer, cinematographer or editor.
• Each film must be submitted on a separate flash drive or SD card in a full resolution quicktime file or .mov file (mandatory). You may also forward an online link to your project (optional). Go online to fill out a submission for at millburnfilmfes.com
• When submitting more than one film, submit each film on a separate flash drive or SD card and fill out a separate submission application online for each film.
• Films not in English must be clearly subtitled or dubbed into English.
• Flash drives or SD cards submitted will NOT be returned.
Film Content & Length
• Submissions may be no shorter than two (2) minutes and no more than fifteen (15) minutes in length.
• The Millburn Film Fest Film encourages creativity and originality! All scenes should be suitable for family viewing and as such the content must be equivalent to a G or PG rated movie. The judges will exclude films with gratuitous obscenity, gratuitous violence, or whose subjects are in poor taste.
• Millburn Film Fest encourages and recommends that filmmakers should use original or copyright free music for their soundtracks which can easily be found.
• Any music video submitted must contain original music that the artist has granted copyright use. Please submit the artist’s release to use music with your submission form.
• Your film must be your own original work. Do not submit a re-edited version of any video that you didn’t shoot. At least 90% of the footage in the film should be your original work and permission to use footage MUST accompany your submission if any portion in the film is from an outside source. (ie. news footage)
Judges & Judging Criteria
A panel of at least four judges that will include a combination of Millburn faculty/staff, film/theater/media industry professionals and/or Millburn/Short Hills residents will judge films. The Education Foundation of Millburn-Short Hills, in its sole discretion, will appoint the judges. The judges will evaluate the films on the basis of:
• Story (originality/creativity)
• Production values (quality and complexity of lighting, sound, camera work, editing, pacing)
• Overall Impression
The panel of judges will use its best efforts to the select the winning films. The judges are not required to select any winning films, and may select no winning films, if they decide, in their sole discretion, no films meet the Millburn Film Fest’s criteria or objectives. If a film is disqualified, the Millburn Film Fest may, but is not required to, select an alternate winner. Winning films will be showcased at the Millburn Film Fest to be held in April 2019, or such other time as scheduled by the Millburn Film Fest. In the event that unforeseen circumstances reasonably require cancellation of the Millburn Film Fest for any reason, the Millburn Film Fest will so advise the entrants and shall have no liability as a result thereof.
Notification of Winning Films
Winning filmmakers will be contacted by email no later than March 25, 2019.
• In submitting your entry, you and your parent/guardian are assuming all copyright liability thereof. Written verification of copyrights for the submitted film(s) should be submitted to the Millburn Film Fest by the February 25, 2019 festival submission deadline.
• In addition, by submitting a film to the Millburn Film Fest you and your parent/guardian give the Millburn Public School System, The Education Foundation of Millburn-Short Hills, and the Millburn Film Fest unlimited rights to use your Creative Works (i.e., film, videos, flash drives and DVDs; still photographs; artwork in any medium; voice recordings; written work; pictures in any medium; and any other original work), or any portion thereof, for screenings and in promotional materials at any time, and to publish in print, electronic or digital form in perpetuity. By submitting this film you further agree that the Millburn Public School System, the Education Foundation of Millburn-Short Hills, and the Millburn Film Fest have the right to use your name and Creative Works for public relations, public information, student recognition or awards, instruction, distribution or sales where the proceeds benefit the Millburn Public School System, The Education Foundation of Millburn-Short Hills, or the Millburn Film Fest.