Maynard Film Festival is a new national platform based in Maynard, MA, for independent and community-based filmmaking. "Small Town Shorts" is the Festival's first open call for films that tell stories about how life has changed in American suburbs and rural small towns during these transformational times.
*We are working on securing a theater as the Fine Art Theater Place might not be an option due to the passing of the owner. We have pushed back our deadlines to accommodate this change in programming. Grateful to FilmFreeway for being so accommodating.
The focus will be on documentary storytelling and community involvement to record how small town culture is changing and coping with social unrest, pandemic, wildfires, and economic recession. Why small towns?...for the access. From town hall meetings to the local farmstand, these communities already know each other. Also, the consequences of the fate of our time will hit harder in smaller communities. Documenting the solutions to hardships, revealing the resiliency, and sharing the struggle are all part of what will be filmed and archived for history. A small town is defined as a population under 100,000 as of 2020.
Filmmakers will make a 2-5 minute short, adhering to themes about small town life. The best short films will be presented on the big screen at the Fine Arts Theatre in Maynard, MA, and released online later.
MFF supports emerging and established voices; curates innovative and interactive experiences and the use of smartphone filmmaking. MFF will be soliciting jurors from museums to judge and archive the best shorts for their collections that focus on these historic times.
Cash prize, TBA, Film will be submitted to the most relevant Museum’s archive. Film will be broadcast over all of MFF Channels. You will be invited to talk about your film and take a Q&A from our audience on premiere night. This can be in person or done remotely.
PEOPLES CHOICE AWARD: Cash prize, (TBA), Film will be submitted to the most relevant Museum’s archive. Film will be broadcast over all of MFF Channels.
BEST STUDENT: Cash prize (TBA) Film will be broadcast over all of MFF Channels.
BEST MAYNARD FILM: Cash prize (TBA) Film will be broadcast over all of MFF Channels
Synopsis of Rules of Maynard Film Festival 2021: "Small Town" Shorts
• 2 to 5-minute short Film includes credits
• Adheres to the theme of current changing times in small towns (pop. under 100,000)
• Submit each short Film to Filmfreeway.com/MaynardFilmFestival No DVDs or mail will be accepted.
• No refunds, no exceptions
If your Film is accepted into the Festival, through a jury process, it will be shown at Fine Art Theatre Place in Maynard, MA, in the fall of 2021. You will be notified and asked to submit a 30-sec trailer of your film for promotional purposes. If the pandemic disallows indoor screening, the film festival will be held at an outdoor theatre venue (TBA). At the premiere, people attending can cast a ballot for the short they like best for the "Peoples Choice Award." There will be a jury for the Best Film in Student, Made in Maynard, and the Best Film for the general category.
Theme prompts for on-topic stories about small town life in America:
COVID Life: personal stories about coping, life indoor, human conflict, and inspirational stories in your small town
Businesses: unique, thriving, innovative, life during COVID, origin stories
History: Origin stories and how they are reinterpreted or changed
Culture & Arts: Innovation, loss, and coping of the theaters, artists, musicians, Churches, Architecture, AV clubs, music halls, performing arts, etc
Civic Life: Urban design, social unrest, gentrification, health and medical, town committees, Education, High Schools, Library, Board of Selectmen, Town Hall stories, politics, best practices.
Maynard Film Festival Agreement 2020-2021
This is an agreement between the Filmmaker, representing the film crew known as ("Crew"), and the Maynard Film Festival (MFF) organization, with respect to the Crew's involvement in one or more events administered by the Maynard Film Festival, including the creation of a short film or video (the "Film") pursuant to the terms below. The Crew Leader hereby agrees on behalf of him/herself and Crew to take part in the Maynard Film Festival event named ("Maynard Film Festival")
(1) The Crew Leader has read and agrees on behalf of him/herself and Crew to abide by, any specific rules set forth by the event, the terms of which are <Here>, and by reference made a part hereof. It is understood that MFF reserves the right to disqualify from screening or exhibition and remove from consideration for awards and prizes any films/videos that do not adhere to the Official Rules.
(2) The Crew Leader hereby understands that he/she is responsible for all crew, cast, equipment, sets, locations, and other items necessary for participating in The Maynard Film Festival, and all costs, expenses, damages, and claims related thereto. MFF is providing the event and guidelines in which the Crew Leader is taking part; a screening opportunity for all qualifying films/videos; and a prize for the Project winner.
(3) The Crew Leader affirms that he/she will secure all rights (including without limitation copyrights) in and to all material included in the Film, including without limitation any and all images, photographs, performances, appearance(s) by any person(s), sounds, soundtrack and music (including without limitation compositions, recordings and performances). In no manner limiting the foregoing, The Crew Leader will obtain a signed Talent Release from all persons appearing in the Film, a signed Liability Waiver from all cast and crew, a signed Music Release from all persons or entities providing music, and a signed Location Release for all locations used in the Film. The Crew Leader represents and warrants that he/she
a. Is free to enter into this Agreement,
b. That, except with regard to MFF's rights as set forth herein, The Crew Leader is the sole copyright holder in and to the Film; and
c. The Film does not, to the best of The Crew Leader's knowledge (including what The Crew Leader should know or have known in the exercise of reasonable prudence) violate the copyright of any person or entity, or defame or infringe upon any rights of any kind of, including the right of privacy, of any person or entity.
(4) The Crew Leader hereby agrees to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless MFF, its members, officers, advisors, licensees, and assigns (collectively "Indemnified Parties") from any and all claims, costs, damages, expenses and liabilities including without limitation attorneys' fees (collectively "Claims") arising from the creation, production, use, exhibition, promotion, marketing, merchandising, or other exploitation of the Film by the Indemnified Parties and/or any of them, The Crew Leader, Crew and/or any member thereof (including without limitation Claims for negligence and other torts, unauthorized use of likeness, invasion of right of privacy, publicity or personality, defamation, fraud, infringement of copyright and/or trademark, and breach of contract), and for any breach by The Crew Leader of any representation, warranty or obligation of The Crew Leader hereunder.
(5) The Crew Leader and MFF will jointly own, as co-authors, the copyright in and to the Film, and hereby agree to the following division of rights: From the date, The Crew Leader submits his/her Film to The Maynard Film Festival and continuing in perpetuity:
a. MFF and The Crew Leader shall each have the following non-exclusive rights: to copy, screen, show, exhibit, telecast, broadcast, advertise, market, exploit, and disseminate the Film and/or any portion thereof throughout the universe in perpetuity, via any medium and in any manner whether now known or hereafter invented, including but not limited to theatrical, television (including without limitation all forms of broadcast, cable, Video On Demand (VOD) and digital television), DVD/home video/videogram (including any videogram successor), Internet distribution and any means of digital download. In no manner limiting the foregoing, MFF shall have the right to use the Film and any portion thereof to advertise, promote and publicize any MFF events and/or any sponsor thereof in any manner and via any medium at MFF's sole discretion.
b. In addition to the above listed rights, The Crew Leader shall have the exclusive right to sell or assign any or all rights to the Film to any third party with the exception that MFF will retain the above-mentioned non-exclusive rights.
(6) The Crew Leader hereby acknowledges that participation in the Maynard Film Festival is without remuneration or monetary compensation whatsoever. The consideration for participating in the project is the possibility of screening of The Crew Leader's completed film/video at the conclusion of the Maynard Film Festival; and the possibility, although not the obligation by MFF, for future screenings and distribution; and the opportunity for publicity or exposure for being a participant.
(7) The Crew Leader acknowledges that, in the event of any breach by MFF or any third party, the damage, if any, caused to The Crew Leader thereby will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle The Crew Leader to seek injunctive or other equitable relief. The Crew Leader's rights and remedies in such event will be strictly limited to the right, if any, to recover compensatory (but not punitive or consequential) damages in an action at law, and The Crew Leader will have neither the right to rescind or terminate this Agreement or any of MFF's rights hereunder, nor the right to enjoin the exhibition or other exploitation of the Film or any subsidiary or allied rights with respect thereto.
(8) The Crew Leader acknowledges and agrees that The Crew Leader is not an employee or agent of MFF for any purpose, including all tax obligations, but that the parties are contractors independent of one another.
(9) The Crew Leader hereby acknowledges that documentary footage will be shot during the Maynard Film Festival, and hereby agrees to allow camera crews to tape his/her Crew during any production stage of the project, and further agrees to immediately provide to MFF a signed release for each of his/her participating cast and crewmembers. MFF has no obligation whatsoever to produce or exhibit the documentary, however.
(10) MFF will not be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages, without limitation, damages arising under any Claim or cause of action, including contract, warranty, strict liability or tort, whether or not MFF has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Furthermore, it is understood that MFF's total liability for any claims and/or causes of action shall not exceed, and is limited to, the total amount paid to MFF in entry fees by The Crew Leader under this Agreement. These limitations shall apply notwithstanding the failure of the essential purpose of any limited remedy.
(11) This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, without any reference to its conflicts of laws provisions. Agreed to and Accepted