The 3rd Annual MULTI-FACETED INSPIRATIONAL NATIONAL DISCOVERY FILM FESTIVAL was founded to recognize multifaceted and multicultural categories and to inspire creatives nationally and for the opportunity for them to make discoveries and be discovered as a result of the festival.
The Festival has 20 competitive categories with prizes. Actors who win the Actor’s competition will have a chance to meet with a Talent Agent or Manager for representation. Content Creators who win the Pitch competition will have a chance to meet with a Major Production Company and/or TV Network/Studio.
BEST SHORT FILM
BEST LEAD ACTOR
BEST LEAD ACTRESS
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
BEST ORIGINAL MUSIC
BEST DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY
BEST SET DESIGN
WINNERS- 1st, 2nd, 3rd Place
Rules & Guidelines
MIND FESTIVAL 2021
AT THIS TIME THIS FESTIVAL DOES NOT ACCEPT FEE WAIVER SUBMISSIONS.
Films must have been completed by Spring of 2018- 2021.
SHORT Films must be no more than 40 minutes in length, credits included.
Films available publicly online are eligible to submit
If selected, films must be available for projection in DCP
All non-English-language films must have English subtitles.
Submissions must be uploaded and submitted no later than the deadline (before midnight) date to qualify for the respective entry fees.
If sending a check, check must be in U.S. dollars drawn on a United States bank. ONLY-U.S. CHECKS ACCEPTED. SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS: Completed entry Digital screener OR MAIL A DVD SCREENER BY DEADLINE W/Entry fee
IF SELECTED: WE WILL Require A POSTER, CAST & CREW BIOS, EPK, & GUEST LIST & SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES. WE WILL ALSO REQUIRE THE FILMMAKER OR A REP FROM CAST/CREW TO BE PRESENT AT FESTIVAL.Rules & Guidelines
MIND reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
Films that are selected to screen at the Festival may not necessarily be selected to be “in competition” for awards purposes. Notifications regarding potential selection for competition status possibly may occur subsequent to notifications of acceptance for exhibition.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. MIND expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
1. We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished and will judge each submission as a completed work, whether it is or not. Once a film is entered, we will not update the submission with a more recent cut. That said, because MIND’s focus is on story, minor technical changes will not affect the final decision of any film.
2. Should the film be accepted to play during the Festival, the filmmaker will have the opportunity to supply the Festival with their most recent version.
3. Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by an entrant for any reason, the entrant may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by MIND in connection with the dispute.
4. You MUST include your physical address either in your entry or in your cover letter. Please do not submit a film without giving us your address, which we need for our records.
5. Payments made with a check are subject to our Bounced Check Policy: If we receive a returned check from our bank for a payment you made, you will be invoiced for the original amount of the check plus a $25 bounced check fee. The payment of the invoiced amount will be due within 30 days of invoice date. We will not re-submit the original check, nor will we accept another check for repayment. Repayment must be made by money order or cashier’s check.
6. Please include in your cover letter if your film was SHOT IN LOS ANGELES (include locations) or made by LA FILMMAKERS. We don't want to miss your film!
PLEASE NOTE: The MIND Film Festival does NOT waive entry fees. MIND believes waiving entry fees hurts the integrity of the competition. The same rules and entry fees should apply to all applicants so no one film is favored over another. In a similar respect MIND does NOT invite films to be in competition. ONLY films submitted will be considered for competition.
We understand the financial constraint of filmmaking and costs of submitting to festivals and we still hope you can find it in your budget to submit your film.
Selected Films and Winners
1. MIND has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
2. MIND explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by MIND or by its volunteers.
3. Winners will be announced on October 8, 2021. The judges’ decision is final.
4. Winners receiving cash prizes are solely responsible for payment of all applicable local, state, and federal taxes.
RETURNS & ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:
DVDs and press materials will not be returned under any circumstances. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for each submission if you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your entry.
COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. COMPETITION CERTIFICATION
I/We have read all of the rules, understand, and have complied with these rules.
I/We warrant the submission of my/our original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission.
I/We also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead.
To the best of my/our knowledge, all the statements herein are true and correct.
I/We understand that failure to adhere to the competition rules and regulations will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee.
I/We acknowledge that once an entry payment has been processed, MIND will not provide a refund.
Feature films must be at least a Los Angeles premiere. MIND will not screen features in competition that have played at other Los Angeles festivals or screened publicly in a theater in LA (including a one night only screening in a rented space) prior to October 08, 2021. We prefer World, North American, and US premieres and all things being equal, will often opt to program the film that has not yet had a release over one that has played at several festivals.
No revisions of materials will be accepted once entry has been submitted.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, I/WE HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.