11th London Kurdish Film Festival
The London Kurdish Film Festival is is proud to announce that the 11th London Kurdish Film Festival will be held between 24th April – 3rd May 2020 at the following venues: VUE Wood Green, Rio Cinema in Dalston and Prince Charles Cinema in Central London.
First established in 2001, the London Kurdish Film Festival was the first festival of its kind and has grown to become the biggest exhibition of Kurdish films outside of Kurdistan. The 11th LKFF will mark over 19 years of delivering high quality films from across Kurdistan and the Kurdish diaspora, which were often made under the most difficult political conditions. The current political context as well as the tragic loss of one of the festival’s directors make the festival even more significant.
The 10th festival was dedicated to the memory of Mehmet Aksoy, a British-Kurdish filmmaker, journalist and activist, as well as one of the directors of the LKFF. As promised, LKFF will continue to reverberate Mehmet’s legacy in every festival.
The categories for film submissions include Fiction, Documentary and Short Films and the early bird submissions are open until 30 November 2019. The festival encourages filmmakers submitting their films through the festival portal called “Filmfreeway” (https://filmfreeway.com/) as early as possible. For more information on how to submit to the festival, please visit www.lkff.co.uk.
The festival will begin with the opening gala ceremony, an evening of Kurdish music, dance and food, and the opening gala film, and will continue for a further four days at VUE Wood Green, followed by two days at Rio cinema. The festival will end with the closing gala at Prince Charles Cinema.
There are five competitions organized by London Kurdish Film festival this year @11th LKFF.
*Yılmaz Güney Best Short Film Award
*Mehmet Aksoy Best Documentary Award
*RojaZer Best Fiction Feature Film Award
*Best Short Documentary Film Award
*Best Film Audience Award
More information with regard to the Awards will be announced soon at www.lkff.co.uk.
Note: Total Prize Value will be confirmed nearer to the Festival!!!
London Kurdish Film Festival
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Deadline: SUNDAY 1st December 2019
Competition terms and conditions
*PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF YOU DO NOT MEET THE CRITERIA*
1. The Competition is open to Kurdish filmmakers and non-Kurds whose work is about the Kurds or Kurdish issues.
2. The Competition for 2020 is open to Fiction, Short and Documentary films made between 2018-2020. Any film already shown in a previous London Kurdish Film Festival is not eligible for entry.
3. The Competition is closed to LKFF Organising Committee members and its employees.
4. The Short film must be no longer than 30 minutes, including any title or end credits.
5. Copies can be accepted in the following formats: 35mm / BETA SP / Mini DV / DV CAM / DVD / HD CAM / Digital. We regret we cannot accept submissions on VHS due to its poor quality. All tapes / DVDs must be clearly marked with: The filmmaker’s name, the title of the work, exact running time and format.
6. The film must have English subtitles.
7. All films must be received by 5 pm (17:00) Sunday 1st December 2019.
8. Submission of films is limited to a maximum of two films per person.
9. All the films submitted to the competition will be watched and selected by a selection committee formed by LKFF Organising Committee before admitted to the competition. Competition is limited to 5 Fiction, 10 Short and 5 Documentary films in total for 2020, but this may be changed at the discretion of the selection committee.
10. Films submitted to any other competition can also enter the LKFF Yılmaz Güney Short Film Competition.
11. A prize will be awarded to the Best selected Short and Documentary Films. The awards to be decided by the festival committee according to the festival budget.
12. LKFF reserves the exclusive right to use the Entrant's Short and Documentary Film to market the Competition or showcase the work of LKFF.
13. LKFF reserves the right to refuse any entry for any reason at its absolute discretion.
14. The decisions of the selection committee judges and LKFF are final. No correspondence or discussion will be entered into concerning any decision.
15. The entrant must submit only his/her own original work and agrees and confirms that this will not infringe on copyright or any other rights of any third party.
16. All mailing costs for submissions belong to the entrant. The London Kurdish Film Festival does not pay for any expenses towards sending submissions to the competition.
17. Submitted copies cannot be returned to the Entrant. Copies of all submissions will be kept in the London Kurdish Film Festival Film Archive.
18. Attendance by the entrant at the London Kurdish Film Festival will be at their own expense. The LKFF is only able to provide a guest pass giving admission to the festival programme.
19. No responsibility is taken by LKFF for loss, damage or delay to films entered.
20. LKFF reserves the right to seek and issue publicity on behalf of the entrant. By entering the Competition, the entrant agrees to participate in publicity as appropriate in the context of the Competition.
21. The film is made at the entrant's own expense and LKFF shall not be liable to reimburse any expenses incurred in making an entry.
22. Both short and documentary films must not include strong language, scenes of a clearly sexual nature, or distressing scenes. The films that contain defamatory or obscene material, are of an explicitly violent nature or are likely to incite bigotry/racial or religious and ethnic prejudice will be rejected.
23. The entrant must ensure that all contributions to his/her film or recordings or other submissions and any copyright material included in the short film (including music) have been cleared for all purposes of the Competition and these Terms and Conditions.
24. LKFF accept no responsibility for any misuse of intellectual property rights.
25. LKFF will hold the right to exhibit a film at no financial gain and for educational purposes at educational institutions in the UK to promote Kurdish films and filmmakers.
26. Acceptance of these Terms and Conditions is a condition of entry and receipt of an entry by LKFF (submission) amounts to acceptance of the Terms and Conditions.
The selection committee of individuals selected by the festival organizing committee will watch the preview copies at the earliest possible opportunity. Directors and producers will be informed of the committee's decision 6-8 weeks before the festival starts. From each category, only 10 films out of all submissions will be admitted to the competition. After completion of the selection, we expect the selected film's original format copies, snopsis and posters to arrive within 2 weeks from the date that the directors and producers were informed by the festival committee. At the end of the selection process, LKFF may select some of the films which have not been selected for the competition by the selection committee to be screen in the film programme/s out of the competition.
London Kurdish Film Festival (LKFF)
Box 208, 254 Pentonville Road
N1 9JY, London
For General Enquires please email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For Submissions and Program please email to email@example.com