London Kurdish Film Festival, the non-profit charity organization which showcases the best in Kurdish cinema from around the world is proud to announce that the prestigious 10th London Kurdish Film Festival will be held between the dates 13th to 22nd April 2018 at following venues; Hackney Picture House, Woodgreen VUE Cinema and RIO Cinema in London.
The London Kurdish Film Festival at its inception was the first festival of its kind and has grown to become the biggest exhibition of Kurdish films outside of Kurdistan. At this 10th film festival, we will mark over 15 years of showcasing films from across the Kurdish diaspora; films often made under the most extreme conditions, where at times the stakes were higher and the pursuit for freedom of expression more potent. The celebrations are made particularly poignant and significant for reasons that are threefold; with the current political context as well as the tragic loss of one of the festival’s directors.
The 10th festival will be dedicated to the memory of Mehmet Aksoy; British-Kurdish filmmaker, journalist, and activist, as well as one of the directors of the LKFF. Mehmet was killed in September 2017 by ISIS militants whilst bravely volunteering in the region as a news correspondent; documenting stories and collecting footage of the YPG struggle to liberate the region. Dearly loved Mehmet has been widely recognized as a dedicated revolutionary filmmaker who followed the steps of Yilmaz Guney and Halil Dag. As ‘Memed’s friends’ we pledge to carry forward the camera he passed on to us and honor his dedication to the pursuit of truth in a great film with an unforgettable film festival. His brave legacy will reverberate in all festivals to come and through all the young storytellers it will no doubt inspire.
Categories for submission include Feature, Documentary and Short Films. Along with 6th Yilmaz Guney Short Film Competition, this year the festival will give a special Mehmet Aksoy Award the Best Documentary film. The submissions for all categories are open until 15th January 2018.
Note: Total Prize Value will be confirmed nearer the Festival!!!
London Kurdish Film Festival
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Deadline: MONDAY 15 January 2018
Competition terms and conditions
There are two competitions organized by London Kurdish Film festival this year @10th LKFF
*6th Yılmaz Güney Short Film Award 2018
*1st Mehmet Aksoy the Best Documentary Award 2018
1. The Competition for 2018 is open to short and Documentary films made in 2017 & 2018. Any film already shown in a previous London Kurdish Film Festival is not eligible for entry.
2. The Competition is open to Kurdish filmmakers and non-Kurds whose work is about the Kurds or Kurdish issues.
3. The Competition is closed to LKFF Organising Committee members and its employees.
4. The Short film must be no longer than 30 minutes, including any title or end credits.
5. Copies can be accepted in the following formats: 35mm / BETA SP / Mini DV / DV CAM / DVD / HD CAM / Digital. We regret we cannot accept submissions on VHS due to its poor quality. All tapes / DVDs must be clearly marked with: The filmmaker’s name, the title of the work, exact running time and format.
6. The film must have English subtitles.
7. All films must be received by 5 pm (17:00) Monday 15 January 2018.
8. Submission of films is limited to a maximum of two films per person.
9. All the films submitted to the competition will be watched and selected by a selection committee formed by LKFF Organising Committee before admitted to the competition. Competition is limited to 10 short and 10 Documentary films in total for 2018, but this may be changed at the discretion of the selection committee.
10. Films submitted to any other competition can also enter the LKFF Yılmaz Güney Short Film Competition.
11. A prize will be awarded to the Best selected Short and Documentary Films. The awards to be decided by the festival committee according to the festival budget.
12. LKFF reserves the exclusive right to use the Entrant's Short and Documentary Film to market the Competition or showcase the work of LKFF.
13. LKFF reserves the right to refuse any entry for any reason at its absolute discretion.
14. The decisions of the selection committee judges and LKFF are final. No correspondence or discussion will be entered into concerning any decision.
15. The entrant must submit only his/her own original work and agrees and confirms that this will not infringe on copyright or any other rights of any third party.
16. All mailing costs for submissions belong to the entrant. The London Kurdish Film Festival does not pay for any expenses towards sending submissions to the competition.
17. Submitted copies cannot be returned to the Entrant. Copies of all submissions will be kept in the London Kurdish Film Festival Film Archive.
18. Attendance by the entrant at the London Kurdish Film Festival will be at their own expense. The LKFF is only able to provide a guest pass giving admission to the festival programme.
19. No responsibility is taken by LKFF for loss, damage or delay to films entered.
20. LKFF reserves the right to seek and issue publicity on behalf of the entrant. By entering the Competition, the entrant agrees to participate in publicity as appropriate in the context of the Competition.
21. The film is made at the entrant's own expense and LKFF shall not be liable to reimburse any expenses incurred in making an entry.
22. Both short and documentary films must not include strong language, scenes of a clearly sexual nature, or distressing scenes. The films that contain defamatory or obscene material, are of an explicitly violent nature or are likely to incite bigotry/racial or religious and ethnic prejudice will be rejected.
23. The entrant must ensure that all contributions to his/her film or recordings or other submissions and any copyright material included in the short film (including music) have been cleared for all purposes of the Competition and these Terms and Conditions.
24. LKFF accept no responsibility for any misuse of intellectual property rights.
25. LKFF will hold the right to exhibit a film at no financial gain and for educational purposes at educational institutions in the UK to promote Kurdish films and filmmakers.
26. Acceptance of these Terms and Conditions is a condition of entry and receipt of an entry by LKFF (submission) amounts to acceptance of the Terms and Conditions.
The selection committee of individuals selected by the festival organizing committee will watch the preview copies at the earliest possible opportunity. Directors and producers will be informed of the committee's decision 6-8 weeks before the festival starts. From each category, only 10 films out of all submissions will be admitted to the competition. After completion of the selection, we expect the selected film's original format copies, snopsis and posters to arrive within 2 weeks from the date that the directors and producers were informed by the festival committee. At the end of the selection process, LKFF may select some of the films which have not been selected for the competition by the selection committee to be screen in the film programme/s out of the competition.
London Kurdish Film Festival (LKFF)
Box 208, 254 Pentonville Road
N1 9JY, London
Phone: + 44 7947890579 (for Submissions and Program)
+ 44 7956436763 (for General Enquires)