Linz International Short Film Festival is the first international short film festival in Linz, Austria, which is a unique film event for short filmmakers and film lovers to network and discover future SHORT FILM trends on a worldwide level.
Linz International Short Film Festival is established for showcasing and celebrating the best INDEPENDENT short films from already established filmmakers as well as great work from new upcoming TALENTS and artists from all around the world.
We focus on finding DIVERSE independent films with strong characters and storylines, from filmmakers who share their visions in a powerful, creative and entertaining way and encourage ALL independent filmmakers to submit their films.
Special attention will be paid to STUDENTS’ WORKS, which provides significant discounts. We also charge no application fee for films from AUSTRIA.
To offer middle eastern & African filmmakers more opportunity to present their works, due to their limited access to mainstreams, the Linz International Short Film Festival charges no fee for films from MIDDLE EAST & AFRICA.
We also highly encourage filmmakers from SOUTH AMERICA , EAST EUROPE & ASIA & other continent to submit their films, because we love to have the most national diversity. The committee welcome, select and judge all films EQUALLY and with great respect and consideration.
*BE AWARE for submitting your film in the right category, to use the discounts on Student, Austrian, Middle Eastern & African films! Every film can be submitted just in ONE category.
The festival presents films in three competition sections as well as in Special Programs. Submitted films can cover any topic.
Fiction- international short fiction films max 20 minutes
Documentary- international short documentary films max 20 minutes
Animation - international short animations max 20 minutes
NETWORKING is a very important issue for the Linz International Short Film Festival. To achieve that, we would like to invite as many filmmakers as possible to participate in the festival screening, and we currently build cooperation to offer some allowances for this goal. There will be also a special hall with some snacks and drinks for filmmakers gathering. We try to make our own community and stay in touch with the filmmakers also after the festival.
****International Competition 2018****
Best Short Fiction Award
500€ Sponsored by Vam + Dedolight + Linzis Trophy
Best Short Documentary Award
500€ Sponsored by WKO + Linzis Trophy
Best Short Animation Award
500€ Sponsored by WKO + Linzis Trophy
Best Short Experimental Award
Steadicam, Sponsored by Teltec + Linzis Trophy
Best Austrian film Award
Lenses Sponsored by Geckocam + Linzis Trophy
Monitor Sponsored by Transvideo
500€ Sponsored by Vdfs
Sponsored by Kflect & P+S technik
Sponsored by Silverstak
**** Special Prize****
An art residency in Tehran, Iran Sponsored by Kooshk residency
Best sound Design
Sponsored by Ambient
* The prizes will be changed every year.
****INTERNATIONAL, AUSTRIAN COMPETITION****
Please take into consideration that all the films from Austria, middle east, and every other country will participate in the international competition. But Austrian films will automatically be considered for the best Austrian film too.
Please note, however, that submissions must be sent on an online secured screener and, if selected, filmmakers are required to provide a screening file.
The acceptable formats are
Any other format is NOT possible for screening.
All genres of non-commercial shorts are accepted.
3.PRODUCTION COUNTRY: All.
Submissions will be considered in two categories:
Austrian, and International as Official Competition. Eligibility for each category will be determined by the festival based on the following criteria: Director’s nationality, film location, the language of the film, the nationality of casts’ and source of funding.
Austrian film should submit in Austrian competition, but their film will be considered for all international awards of the festival too.
4.RUNNING TIME: 20 minutes and under.
Running time includes end credits should be under 20 minutes.
5.YEAR OF PRODUCTION: after 2018.
The film must have been produced after January 1, 2018, for all competitions. The festival committee will determine the production date of your film based on the copyright year listed in the end credits.
6. PREMIERE: Not screened on Internet, Not broadcast-ed on TV
Films that have screened on the internet or shown theatrically or been broadcast on television in Linz prior to the Festival or are available on DVD or VOD are not eligible for competition.
It is NOT mandatory for films to premiere at Linz International Short Film Festival.
7.ENGLISH SUBTITLE: Required
Required for submissions with a language other than English. Also for GERMAN films, we need an English subtitle.
8. MULTIPLE ENTRY: Possible.
You may submit multiple entries but must fill out a separate entry form and pay an entry fee for each.
The festival presents films in three competition sections as well as in Special Programs. The film can be submitted to one of three competitions. The festival reserves the right to assign the film to a category that is different from the category it has been submitted to originally. Please submit films with Austria as at least one country of production, or with an Austrian director or producer to the Austrian competition. Austrian films will automatically be considered for the best Austrian film too. The competitions are:
Fiction- international short fiction films
Documentary- international short documentary films
Animation - international short animations
Best Austrian Film
1. Accepted formats
*We do not accept any other files as screening copies.
2. A backup file must be submitted along with the screening copy.
3. The screening copy must arrive at the festival office not later than the 30th July 2019.
4. If the film has dialogue or text that is not in English, the film must be submitted with English subtitles.
5.The selected filmmakers are not awarded financial compensation for participating in the competition but will be supported in attending the festival.
In addition to a screener file you are asked to at least submit the following*
1. At least one film still (300 dpi)
2. Poster of film
3. A Trailer up to one minute in this format: MP4 HD 1920 1080
4. Director's filmography
5. 100 words description of the film
5. A list of previous screenings of the submitted film, including awards
6. Main credits
7. Information about previous screenings in Austria
*film still, trailer, poster and the info you send, may be used on our Website and social media, to promote the festival and your films.
12. DISPATCH AND SHIPPING OF SCREENING COPIES
An ONLINE SERVER will be provided, to easily uploading your film on Festival Computer.
Please note: Preview copies will not be returned, but stored in the Linz International Short Film Festival archive.
1. You guarantee that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the film you submit to us and that you are entitled to transfer the rights to us as specified in this agreement.
2. By submitting the film, you guarantee that all (intellectual property) rights needed for screening during Linz International Short Film Festival and other uses described in this agreement have been cleared.
3. By submitting the film you guarantee that the screening or other use of the film by Linz International Short Film Festival does not infringe rights held by third parties.
4. By submitting the film you agree to indemnify the festival against all third-party claims in connection with screening the film during Linz International Short Film Festival and other uses described in the terms. This includes covering any legal costs that might be incurred.
5. Screening: The festival is entitled to show the selected films during the duration of the festival any number of times.
6. Best-of programs: If the film receives an award at Linz International Short Film Festival 2018 the festival reserves the right to show the film free of charge two times within a year from the festival as part of a best-of program to promote the winning films/filmmakers as well as the festival. If the film is to be shown the submitter will be informed ahead of time.
7. Press screeners & archive: You grant Linz International Short Film Festival the nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual and unlimited right to make copies of the film in order to make these copies available to the press or industry representatives only and to archive these copies. The festival guarantees to exercise this right within reason and always with the benefit of the filmmaker in mind. These copies will not be used for commercial screening purposes by any means.
8. Educational use: You grant Linz International Short Film Festival the nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual and unlimited right to use the archived copies for noncommercial educational purposes in Austria.
9. Video library: You grant the festival the nonexclusive and royalty-free right to include the film in the video library regardless of the selection status of your film. The video library is open to accredited national and international industry guests only; the films may be made available at screening booths or online. You furthermore grant the festival the right to share your contact information with interested industry guests.
10. Promotion: If your film is selected to be included in the program you grant Linz International Short Film Festival the nonexclusive, royalty-free right to show – online, via television or in cinemas, in single form or as part of a showreel – a trailer or excerpts of up to 1 minute of the film for advertising and promotion purposes.
11. Meta material: If your film is selected to be included in the program you grant Linz International Short Film Festival the nonexclusive, royalty-free, unlimited and irrevocable right to publish submitted meta material such as (but not limited to) film stills (in an edited/altered form if necessary), the title and credits of the film, and the director’s name.
SEVERABILITY & ARBITRATION
12. If a provision of this agreement is or becomes illegal, invalid or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, that shall not affect:
A) the validity or enforce-ability in that jurisdiction of any other provision of this agreement; or
B) the validity or enforce-ability in other jurisdictions of that or any other provision of this agreement.
13. This agreement is governed by Austrian law. The place of arbitration shall be Linz, Austria, the language of arbitration shall be German.