Lights Dance aspires to celebrate dance in its diversity and endless possibilities. The festival began as a way to bridge our love for both screendance and live performances, and is committed to expanding the creative potential for how dance can be experienced. We want to present a new kind of dance spectatorship with a dynamic multimedia presentation that showcases the variety of ways dance moves and excites us.
The 4th Annual Lights Dance Festival will be curated around the concept of Shadows & Songs to consider our humanity in the changing landscape of communication and technology. In the age of expedience and convenience, as we find it difficult to maintain a sense of self and dignity, we hide behind our computer and phone screens, our true emotions tucked away in compartmentalized crevices deep within. Although we are quick to swipe left or right, click ‘send’ or ‘order,’ we are slow to listen, slow to be mindful and be present.
Lights Dance wants to make dance more accessible to all. We are passionate about creating a stronger dance community here in Canada by equipping choreographers, dancers, and filmmakers through education, mentorship, and building a stronger network. It is imperative for us to strengthen the voices and craftsmanship of everyone who desires to tell stories through dance, whatever their background or identity may be.
Lights Dance Audience Choice Award
All films selected for our festival programming are eligible for the Audience Choice Award. The winning short will be announced during the festival.
1. All dance films of 10 minutes or less will be considered. If your film is less than 50% dance as a core narrative component, it may not qualify as a dance film.
2. Films must have been completed after January 1st, 2018. Works in progress are not accepted.
3. Submissions accepted through FilmFreeway only. Please do not send DVD’s or Blu-rays.
4. Please keep links to your films private until after the closing of the festival.
5. Documentaries and live performance recordings are not accepted at this point.
6. If your film is selected, we will request film stills or clips from your film for use in promoting the Lights Dance Festival.
7. All commercial/private property including all trademark/copyrighted materials shown or recorded on the project is the responsibility of the filmmaker. Lights Dance Festival will not take responsibility for any infringement of copywritten materials.
8. No film may be withdrawn from the festival program after its participation has been publicized. Festival does not offer any refund through withdrawal.
Selected films will be requested in their native frame rate in QuickTime format using one of the following codecs: ProRes, ProRes HQ, or ProRes 4444. The digital file should be less than 10GB.