LOCO is now a BAFTA-qualifying film festival for shorts! So short films that screen at LOCO are now eligible to enter the Bafta Awards if they have screened at one other festival from Section B.
Anyway, back to us: the LOCO London Comedy Film Festival is the world's leading comedy film festival and the UK's only international film festival dedicated to comedy. LOCO exists to discover, develop and screen the world's most original comedy films and takes place every spring, primarily at BFI Southbank, London.
Featuring British independent and international premieres, comedy shorts, star-studded anniversary screenings, panels, consistently highly rated training sessions, workshops and networking events, there is something for all creators of comedy to come, watch, take part in and share. And hopefully we'll help you to find your next gang of collaborators.
In 2020, we are taking submissions for both features and short films.
The Discovery Awards
LOCO Discovery Award for Best Short
LOCO Discovery Award for Best Short Short (<3 mins)
LOCO Discovery Award for Best Script
LOCO Discovery Award for Best Performance
LOCO Discovery Award for Best Ensemble
1. All films must have been completed after 1st April 2018.
2. All films must have been created by filmmakers based in the UK or Ireland.
3. To be eligible for the quick short programme, films must have a maximum running time of 3 minutes.
4. To be eligible for the regular shorts programme, films must have a maximum running time of 25 mins.
5. All features must have a minimum running time of 70 mins.
6. Films must not have received UK theatrical distribution before 29th April 2020.
7. The primary contact for each submission must have obtained necessary permissions for the inclusion of copyrighted music, images and other material within the film. By completing this submission, the applicant confirms that they possess all rights necessary for the screening of the submitted film at this film festival.
8. If the original language of the film is not English, the preview and screening copy must be subtitled in English.
9. All films submitted to the festival must be available for screening at the 2020 LOCO London Comedy Film Festival, dates tbc.
10. All submitting filmmakers must complete their submission and provide the correct payment through FilmFreeway otherwise the submission will not be considered.
11. The final selection of all films and their placement in the programme is the responsibility of LOCO programmers and their decision is final.
12. Due to the large number of submissions we are unable to offer feedback on individual films or unsuccessful entries, really sorry.
13. All filmmakers will be notified as to whether their film has been selected, by 27th February 2020.
14. If selected for screening as part of the festival the filmmaker will need to provide a screening copy of their film by a deadline given at the time of notification. Screening formats tbc.
Delivery of Selected Films
15. Where there is a cost for print transport, the cost of dispatching the screening copy to LOCO will be paid by the sender. The cost of returning the screening copy from the festival will be paid by LOCO.
16. It is the responsibility of the owner of the screening copy to ensure adequate insurance coverage for both inward and outward shipment as well as the time it is in LOCO’s possession. Neither LOCO nor the BFI are not responsible for any loss or damage to the screening copy whilst it is in our possession.
17. By completing the submission the applicant allows the reproduction of stills and film clips (under 1min) for LOCO publications, promotions, press and TV screening.
18. Additional promotional materials such as press packs are not necessary at this stage and should not be included.
Terms and Conditions
19. By completing the submission you agree to LOCO contacting you regarding the status of the submission and with additional relevant information to the submission process. If your film is accepted to the festival LOCO will request any materials and information required and keep you informed so that we can produce a successful screening.
20. By completing the submission you agree to the terms and conditions in this document. Failure to comply with these terms and conditions may result in the submission being disqualified.
21. These terms and conditions are subject to change without prior notice.