Now in partnership with Picturehouse, the LOCO London Comedy Film Festival is the world's leading comedy film festival and the UK's only international festival dedicated exclusively to funny films. LOCO exists to discover, develop, and screen the world's most original comedy films and takes place every spring. In 2023, we are embarking on a new journey with Picturehouse to bring the capital a riotous weekend of side-splitting, mind-expanding cinema.
Featuring independent British and international premieres, comedy shorts, star-studded anniversary screenings, expert panels, highly-rated training sessions, workshops and networking events, there is something to delight all comedy aficionados and creators. It may even be where you find your next gang of collaborators.
We are now accepting short film submissions for our 2023 festival. LOCO is a BAFTA-qualifying film festival for shorts! This means that all short films which screen at LOCO are now eligible to enter the BAFTA Awards if they have screened at one other festival from Section B. This is the perfect place to get your work in front of an audience and to excite the interest of industry experts. We would love to receive any film that is twenty minutes or less, has never been shown at a LOCO festival before, and which can make us laugh.
The Discovery Awards
LOCO Discovery Award for Best Short (up to 20 minutes)
LOCO Discovery Award for Best Short Short (up to 3 mins)
LOCO Discovery Award for Best Script
LOCO Discovery Award for Best Performance
LOCO Discovery Award for Best Ensemble
1. All films must have been created by filmmakers based in the UK or Ireland.
2. To be eligible for the Short Shorts programme, films must have a maximum running time of 3 minutes.
3. To be eligible for the regular shorts programme, films must have a maximum running time of 20 mins.
4. The primary contact for each submission must have obtained necessary permissions for the inclusion of copyrighted music, images and other material within the film. By completing this submission, the applicant confirms that they possess all rights necessary for the screening of the submitted film at this film festival.
5. If the original language of the film is not English, the preview and screening copy must be subtitled in English.
6. All films submitted to the festival must be available for screening at the 2023 LOCO London Comedy Film Festival, dates tbc.
7. All submitting filmmakers must complete their submission and provide the correct payment (£20) through FilmFreeway or the submission will not be considered.
8. The final selection of all films and their placement in the programme is the responsibility of LOCO programmers and their decision is final.
9. Due to the large number of submissions we are regrettably unable to offer feedback on individual films or unsuccessful entries.
10. All filmmakers will be notified as to whether their film has been selected, by 31 March 2023.
11. If selected for screening as part of the festival the filmmaker will need to provide a screening copy of their film by a deadline given at the time of notification. Screening formats tbc.
12. Where there is a cost for print transport, the cost of dispatching the screening copy to LOCO will be paid by the sender. The cost of returning the screening copy from the festival will be paid by LOCO.
13. It is the responsibility of the owner of the screening copy to ensure adequate insurance coverage for both inward and outward shipment as well as the time it is in LOCO’s possession. Neither LOCO nor Picturehouse is responsible for any loss or damage to the screening copy whilst it is in their possession.
14. By completing the submission the applicant allows the reproduction of stills and film clips (under 1min) for LOCO publications, promotions, press and TV screening.
15. Additional promotional materials such as press packs are not necessary at this stage and should not be included.
16. By completing the submission you agree to LOCO contacting you regarding the status of the submission and with additional relevant information to the submission process. If your film is accepted to the festival, LOCO will request any materials and information required and keep you informed so that we can produce a successful screening.
17. By completing the submission you agree to the terms and conditions in this document. Failure to comply with these terms and conditions may result in the submission being disqualified.
18. These terms and conditions are subject to change without prior notice.