Knowmad Short Film Festival (KSFF):
Human Dignity & Mental Health in the Seventh Art
The Knowmad Short Film Festival (KSFF) is a creative effort of the European Institute for Multidisciplinary Studies on Human Rights and Sciences - Knowmad Institut (Germany) and the North Luzon Cinema Guild (Philippines); that opens
intercultural exchange and contributes to making visible the alternative narratives that reflect the current state of human dignity and mental health.
This festival aims to turn information into knowledge.
The festival seeks to promote SDGs 10, 16, and 17.
The second edition of the Knowmad Short Film Festival (KSFF) seeks to give visibility to the current situation of human dignity and the mental health. The goal of the second installment of the festival is to promote and celebrate the diversity of human cultures, mental health awareness and peace builders through the lens of filmmaking.
The KSFF will be a hybrid festival using online and offline spaces to engage audiences in
celebrating cultural diversity through the lens of dignity and human rights.
The KSFF contributes to the dissemination of the experiences of communities and individuals who contribute to the construction of peace, the preservation of the ethnosphere, promote sustainable development, and generate opportunities in a resilient and contextual way.
At Knowmad Institut we work to give voice and action to Human Dignity and Human Rights in public and private policies.
Knowmad Short Film Festival value works that:
- Have high regard for the narrative, characters and its technical aspects and how these elements are creatively weaved together into one coherent whole using elements of cinema to portray the plight, struggles and triumphs of advocating Human Dignity and Human Rights.
- Visually and appropriately represent the groups, individuals, communities and collectives paving the way for a more inclusive & sustainable society.
- Explore the boundaries of originality, creativity and independence in presenting the film; and,
- Explore new ways to inspire audiences and enrich their appreciation of human dignity and human rights that will spark discussions and impact the society.
Knowmad Short Film Festival: Linking Human Dignity with the Seventh Art
The objective of the festival is to make visible the situation of human rights through the democratization of cinematography and the lens of people living in traditionally invisibilized territories as a way of preserving the ethnosphere.
The final selection of short films will be used to make a Film Essay.
Best Actor | Best Actress | Best Sound Design | Best Production Design | Best Editing | Best Cinematography | Best Director | Best Screenplay |
Best Animation | Best Documentary | Best Fiction | Knowmad Institut Choice |Best Film | Best Vertical Film
Knowmad Short Film Festival aims to discover, encourage, and support filmmakers and visionaries from all over the globe that articulate, interpret and express the advances of Mental Health & Human Dignity through the democratization of the cinematography and lens of people living in traditionally invisibilized territories.
The festival is open for all students, amateurs and professional filmmakers. Film entries should have a running time of not more than 7 minutes, including the opening & closing credits.
Films may be in any genre. Also, film entries must not have been posted in any online platform prior to their screening in the festival.
Films should be submitted on or before November 2, 2022, 23:59 CET.
1. The Knowmad Short Film Festival is open to any person or group. Films may be fiction and nonfiction, as well as other genres and styles.
2. Entries should articulate, interpret and express the advances of Human Dignity and Human Rights through the democratization of the cinematography and lens of people living in traditionally invisibilized territories.
3. Participating individuals or groups must follow the Knowmad Institut on at least two social media platforms. Although not mandatory, it will be useful for the applicant. (Find us on Instagram, Twitter & TikTok as @knowmadinstitut)
4. Films that have qualified in the pre-selection process shall undergo an interview for the final screening of the film festival.
5. The works that are accepted in the final selection process will be announced on (date of announcement) on (Knowmad Institut's social media).
6. All communications to filmmakers will be published by the official Knowmad Short Film Festival Secretariat. All notifications from other sources, individuals or unauthorized outlets are not recognized by the KSFF organizers. Official Selection Filmmakers who have qualified from primary screening, will also be notified through email.
7. The decision of the Board of Judges is final and irrevocable.
Technical & Legal Requirements:
1. Films must be in H.264, .mov or .mp4 format shot through Mobile Phone
2. Entries should have a minimum of 720P resolution.
3. Films in other languages must provide English Subtitles.
4. Films must be made after March 2020.
5. Secure Consent of Use to all copyrighted music used when submitting film. Copyright violations shall be seriously faced by the filmmaker upon receiving formal complaints and may cause disqualification from the festival. Filmmakers are encouraged to use or create original music in musical score or background music.
6. Secure an Indigenous Permit from the country of location for films who will feature indigenous people/ group, indigenous practices or indigenous artifacts.
7. Underage Filmmakers, Production Crew and/or Actors must secure a Parent’s/ Guardian consent upon the submission of their entries.
8. Short films must premiere at the Knowmad Short Film Festival. Entries that have been submitted to other film festivals or have been published on the Internet will be disqualified.
9. All entries must include the signed entry form and terms and conditions.
Remember that with the suggested fee you support our work and the continuity of the festival. If you can not be able to cover the fee, no problem, you can participate for free with the following code: KnowmadSolidarity
Terms and Condition
Section 1: a. In line with the submission of my/ our film, I (Name of Producer), is the authorized representative of the film submitted in the Knowmad Short Film Festival of the Knowmad Institut. b. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my state, I have provided the Knowmad Institut with signed written consent from my parents or legal guardian. c. Furthermore, I do hereby agree and am fully aware that the film submitted to the Knowmad Short Film Festival shall be used in the programs and campaigns of the Knowmad Institut. I am consenting on the repurposing of the film aside from film screening after the said film festival. I waive my rights to claims and interest upon submission of our film. d. I hereby swear that the exhibition of the Film at the film festival will not violate any law or any right of any person, entity, groups or communities. e. I further represent and warrant, on behalf of myself and the Film’s Owners, that the exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity, and that the Film does not constitute or include a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from or associated with the exhibition of the Film at or in connection with the Festival.
Section 2: f. I warrant and agree, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, that the Film is being submitted to the Institute voluntarily and without promise or inducement, and that the submission of the Film neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the Institute, the Festival, or any Knowmad Short Film Festival Related Parties to accept the Film for inclusion in the Festival, to exhibit the Film at the Festival, to acknowledge the submission of the Film, or to return the Film to me or others. g. In the event that any Claim is asserted, or any action, arbitration or other proceeding is brought or commenced, in violation of the agreement set forth in the immediately preceding sentence, I agree, on my own behalf and on behalf of each of the Film’s Owners, to indemnify the Institute and the Festival from any and all Claims, losses, liabilities, damages, fees and expenses (including, but not limited to, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other costs) that are incurred by the Institute, the Festival and any Knowmad Short Film Festival Related Parties as a result of or in connection with any such Claim or any action, arbitration or other proceeding brought in violation of the representations and agreements set forth in this paragraph, including, without limitation, reimbursement of all attorneys’ fees incurred or to be incurred by the Institute, the Festival, or any Knowmad Short Film Festival Related Parties in connection with any Claim or any action, arbitration or other proceeding brought or initiated by me or any of the Film’s Owners or any other representative of, or person affiliated with, the Film.
Section 3 :h. In the event that the Film is accepted by the Institute for inclusion in and exhibition at the Festival, I hereby grant, on behalf of myself and each of the Film’s Owners, each of the following rights to the Institute, the Festival, and any Knowmad Short Film Festival Related Parties without reservations, conditions or qualifications: (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from or relating to the Film for promotional purposes; and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide up-to-date contact information pertaining to the director and producer(s) of the Film, and to grant the Institute and the Festival, at their sole and absolute discretion, the right to provide this information to film industry organizations that sponsor Festival events. i. I am aware and agree, on behalf of myself and the owners of the film, that if the piece submitted is selected, part or all of the film will be used for the realization of a Film Essay. In addition, I agree of partial or total projection of the short film in digital or physical projections for the promotion of the KSFF. I also accept that if my short film is accepted it will be added to the festival's public catalogue on Odysee and will be recorded on the LBRY blockchain.
Section 4: j. By completing my submission application for 2022 Knowmad Short Film Festival- Film Festival consideration. I freely and voluntarily give and express my full and complete acceptance of all of the terms and provisions set forth in these Terms and Conditions. I acknowledge that no oral representations, inducements, promises or assurances of any kind, and no representations, inducements, promises or assurances not set forth in these Terms and Conditions, have been made to me or the Film’s Owners by the Festival, the Institute, or any Knowmad Short Film Festival Related Parties.