THE KINSALE SHARK AWARDS 2017.
If you make Short Films you need to know the following:
Every September, in a small fishing town called Kinsale in West Cork, Ireland, creative people from all over the world (writers, directors, producers, muso’s, designers, photographers, editors, animators etc.) assemble hoping to receive an award for their creative endeavours. The awards are called ‘Kinsale Sharks’ and they look just like the one above. Cool, eh? In fact according to www.from-paris.com they’re the world’s coolest creative trophy design.
The festival is unlike any other creative festival, partly because of the location (some of the best pubs, restaurants and views in the world) but also because of ‘the vibe’ – creative, alternative and cool. Who says so? Well, we do but we’re bound to say that, so who ELSE says so? American History X director Tony Kaye does. Tony who spoke at the festival 2 years ago, left saying ‘you should charge £1000 for a delegate pass because as awards go, this is the greenest garden of all’ (ok he’s a bit ‘Hollywood’ Tony, but we appreciated it nevertheless).
Who else? Hilarious writers of Fox Television’s ‘The Simpsons’, Mike Scully and Mike Reiss who both spoke at the festival and had a blast. As did CBS television’s ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ writer/creator Phil Rosenthal. The writer and creator of the Rocky Horror Show, Richard O’Brien, turned up with his guitar and his ‘talk’ ended up as a sing-song (ever done The Time-Warp with a hangover?). The creators of Viz magazine came a few years ago and gave a talk called ‘Swearing IS Big And It IS Clever’ (it was crude, rude and very very funny).
Kinsale is that kind of place and that kind of festival – somewhere you can meet like minds, be stimulated and come away creatively charged. Whether your work is commissioned or made for free, there is a category for you.
This year's judges are;
Angela Narloch - Producer at BBDO in NYC
Juliette Larthe - Founding Partner and Exec Producer at Prettybird
Jim Gilchrist - Director
More information about The Kinsale Shark Awards can be found at www.kinsalesharks.com
Awards & Prizes
Our historical background of celebrating creativity in advertising, means we have a large following of ad agencies and production companies that specialise in Short Form content. It's well know that moving image is the most impactful tool available to communicate messages, through short stories, and this is why we have limited the run time of films to just 15 minutes (excl. titles).
We appreciate most Shorts are often made with excruciatingly low budgets so we have included craft categories to celebrate those individuals whose efforts may otherwise go unacknowledged. Your work will be seen by a jury comprising of some of the world’s TOP commissioners of short form content (important, as you want to sell yourself as well as your work). Through our awards and their endorsement of your work, you’ll ensure your creation gets the worldwide publicity is deserves. With the increase in demand for short form content created by IPTV the Kinsale Sharks will provide a great exposure opportunity for makers of moving image.
By promoting excellence to the hottest ad agencies and production companies on the planet, Kinsale provides a wonderful opportunity to get your work under the noses of those important decision makers who are always looking for the next best thing.
Rules & Terms
1. You agree that The Film may be screened to a private audience at the Festival on 21 Sept 2017.
2. The Film must have been “completed” and “aired" no earlier than 1st January 2016.
3. We do accept films that have been published on the internet as well as films on the short film circuit.
4. You grant us permission, if requested, to use a still image (of your choice) for publicity purposes on our website and social media pages.
5. The Film should be no longer than 15 minutes excluding Opening Titles and Credits. No Colour Bars or Black Sequences before or after The Film.
6. Any film that has been entered into a previous Sharks Shorts festival is not eligible.
7. Optional: English Subtitles will help the jurors “understand” Films submitted in their Original Language.
8. The Film will be pre-judged during August 17 to create a manageable shortlist for our Jurors to Judge. This will be done by the staff and management team at Kinsale Sharks who are a collection of independent writers, director and producers. We will email confirmation The Film has been received for consideration.
9. Closing date for entries is 31 August 17.
10. If your Film is selected for judging we will contact you by 8 September 2017.
11. You agree that all copyrights and permissions have been obtained and that you have fully complied with Vimeo’s Terms and Conditions.