We’re Kendal Mountain Festival.
With over 41 years of heritage, every November we bring thousands of outdoor enthusiasts from across the globe together - to share and celebrate the best stories from the world of adventure.
Our hybrid Festival (live and digital) is a wonderful amalgamation of content: a breathtaking film programme, a jam-packed speaker lineup and heart-warming community gatherings.
At the heart of our Festival is an incredible film programme, which we curate from entries to our year long international film competition. If you'd like to see your adventure film on the big screen, enter today.
Successful filmmakers we will be invited to join us over the Festival weekend, an amazing opportunity to network with over 200 industry professionals from around the globe.
Kendal is more than our November Festival and successful films will be considered to feature on our national and international 30+ date tour and welcomed to our Kendal Mountain Player - a year-round digital offering of films and speakers.
Films are judged against twelve competitive categories by a panel of film and outdoor experts, and in the case of the People’s Choice, the audience itself.
A trophy sculpted by Chamonix-based artist Andy Parkin and cash prizes will be awarded for the best film in each category.
• Grand Prize
• Judge’s Special
• People’s Choice
• Best Short Film
• Best Mountain Film
• Best Community and Culture
• Best Adventure & Exploration Film
• Best Climbing Film
• Best Action Sport Film
• Best Environment Film
• Best Changemaker
• Best Creative
A) ENTRY FEE:
1. There is a £25 administration fee for all film entries. This is payable as part of the entry process on FilmFreeway.
In order for the Festival to be accessible to all, we ask all filmmakers to consider creating additional materials that make their work accessible to those with sensory impairment.
We suggest the following;
HOH subtitles, or closed captioning. This is a transcription of the films audio, rather than a translation of the film's dialogue.
Audio description; this is a commentary that aims to describe body language, expressions and movements to blind or partially sighted audience members, thereby offering additional information about the film through sound.
We can accept CC as SRT files. Audio Described films will need to be uploaded in both the original and AD formats.
1. All non-English films will require subtitles.
2. Subtitles must stay within text safe area.
3. Text should be centred.
4. There should be a maximum of two lines of text per subtitle and a maximum of 38 characters per line.
5. Text should be white, with a black drop shadow outline, or black ghost box and no outline.
6. You should only use coloured text to distinguish speakers from each other.
7. Subtitles should not appear at the same time as captions.
8. Please allow two seconds per line of text for reading speed.
9. Expletives can be translated as such.
D) FILE FORMATS:
1. Films should be encoded as a .mp4 file using the H.264 format, with the following specifications:
i) a bitrate of up to 8Mbps or less - bit rates higher than 8Mbps can cause playback issues for viewers.
ii) Minimum 1920 x 1080p (2K maximum)
iii) 10-second max keyframe interval
iv) 8-bit 4:2:0 or less
vi) Closed GOP (group of pictures)
2. Please use the AAC Audio Codec with a sample rate of 48,000Hz and a bitrate of 320kbps.
4. If your film is selected we will request screening files from you.
5. We are unable to accept 4K, DCP or ProRes files, as our technical infrastructure does not support these formats, We will only accept films up to 2k in size.
6. Films submitted not meeting these requirements will be re-encoded for screening, you may be charged for this service.
E) SUBMISSION DETAILS:
As part of your entry, the following must be submitted:
1. A minimum of three high-resolution still photographs at 300dpi. Images must include the film title.
2. Images must include rights to be used for film promotional purposes.
3. Please identify key segments, between 30-60 seconds you feel best represent your film. We may use footage from these segments for promotional purposes leading up to the Festival and for promotion of subsequent Festival related events in the following 12 months. If you could include this in your forward we would be very grateful.
4. Please note that due to production schedules, footage may appear in the Kendal Mountain Festival Trailer Film from films that subsequently do not achieve selection at the Film Festival.
5. If you have created one, please upload a trailer (720p or 1080p) at time of submission to promote your film.
6. The Festival reserves the right to use all submitted material for Festival promotional purposes across all media.
F) ENTRY TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
1. The submission of any entry to the film competition implies acceptance of all procedures and regulations by the Entrant.
2. Films produced prior to the year 2020 will not be eligible for the competition.
3. Films may be of any length and submitted by both professional and amateur filmmakers. Shorter festival edits of the feature-length film are usually preferred. Films can include brand representation, although the submission of ‘adverts’ is discouraged. Films can have been previously broadcast or released online.
4. Submitting a film does not guarantee it will be shown at the Festival.
5. Films in any language other than English must have English subtitles.
6. All entries give the right to Kendal Mountain Festival to show the film as required during the Festival period.
7. Screening fees will not be paid.
9. By submitting a film to the Festival (and agreeing to these terms and conditions) you are confirming that all necessary permissions have been sought from contributors to the film, and royalties paid, including ‘release’ from those appearing in the film, and creators of any soundtrack/music.
10. The Entrant grants the Festival and its licensees the right to copy the entry in its entirety to facilitate technical operations of the Festival.
11. Finalists chosen by the committee will be judged by an international jury and viewed by the public at Kendal Mountain Festival.
12. The Entrant acknowledges and agrees that all matters related to the awarding of prizes will be decided by the Festival organisers or the Festival judges at their sole discretion.
13. Winners will be announced during the annual award ceremony.
14. All films entered into the Festival competition will also be considered for inclusion in the Festival Tour and/or multi-platform, broadcast programs. If your film is selected we will contact you to arrange a separate rights/licence agreements.
15. By submitting images and films and signing this form, the copyright holder is giving permission to Kendal Mountain Festival to use images and films for Festival promotion and documentary purposes. The copyright of these images will always remain with the copyright holder.
16. The application fee is not refundable for any reason.
By submitting an application, the Entrant represents and warrants that you:
1. Agree to make your film submission available to Kendal Mountain Events ltd in the requested format and by the deadlines documented in the online submission materials as notified by festival management; and
2. Agree to authorize Kendal Mountain Events Ltd to host your content if selected for the Festival for theatrical screenings in venues in conjunction with the Kendal Mountain Festival.
3. Agree to authorize Kendal Mountain Events Ltd to host your content if selected for the Festival for access by Kendal Mountain Player users on its supported streaming application platform until December 31 2022 in conjunction with the Kendal Mountain Festival.
4. Agree that your content will be accessible and viewable by Kendal Mountain Festival’s streaming application users and will be accessible via supported streaming devices using secure authentication credentials issued by the Kendal Mountain Festival streaming application.
5. Agree that the scope of availability of the selected submitted content on the Kendal Mountain Platform is at the sole discretion of Kendal Mountain Events Ltd with respect to platform channel, region of distribution, content delivery networks, device-specific platform applications, application versions, or specific streaming hardware devices the application platform supports within the period of film festival.
6. Agree that all digital content submissions and related backup copies of any media featured under this agreement will be distributed under the platform brand and trademark known as “Kendal Mountain Festival” and will be removed from all steaming applications in its entirety upon completion of the period of the festival. All submissions will be retained by Kendal Mountain Events Ltd for adjudication, on-demand and archival purposes.
7. Agree that if your submitted film is selected for inclusion in the Festival, its use on the platform is royalty-free within the terms and conditions of this agreement. Copyright owners shall not be entitled to monetary consideration in whole or in part for the use of the film on the Kendal Mountain Festival Platform in conjunction with the Kendal Mountain Festival within the terms and conditions of this agreement.
8. Warrant that you have the clear authority to enter this agreement and further represent and warrant that you own all clear right, title, and interest in your submitted film in connection with its use on the Kendal Mountain Digital Distribution Platform and that by submitting this film for festival consideration and potential access on the platform, there is no infringement of any third-party rights.
9. If you cannot meet the terms of release, you may still participate in the festival, but you must instruct us to remove your film from the platform after an agreed period of time.
H) GRANT OF RIGHTS OF WAIVER:
By entering the film competition, the Entrant represents and warrants that:
1. The Entrant hereby grants Kendal Mountain Events Ltd the rights to use the film as outlined in this entry form.
2. It owns all right, title and interest, including the copyright and all intellectual property rights, in and to the film being submitted to the Festival and has the right to distribute, exhibit and promote the film in or through all media formats now known or hereafter devised, including, but not limited to, the Internet throughout the universe.
3. All music licences (including, without limitation, all synchronisation, mechanical and master-use licences, as applicable) have been obtained and all payments have been made that are required for the public performance of the music incorporated in the film; and
4. No material in the film being submitted by the Entrant to the Festival is libellous or is slanderous or defamatory or violates any right of privacy or publicity of any person, and the full use of the rights in such film will not violate any rights, including copyright or moral rights, of any person, film or corporation.
5. By entering The Kendal Mountain Festival Film Competition, the entrant acknowledges and agrees to all entry rules and regulations of the Festival.
1. The Entrant agrees to indemnify Kendal Mountain Events Limited and the Kendal Mountain Festival, their respective successors, assigns, licensees, and their respective officers, directors, members, agents and employees and hold them harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages, costs, expenses (including reasonable legal fees) and penalties arising out of, resulting from, based upon or incurred because of a breach by the Entrant of any statement, representation or warranty made by the Entrant in this entry form.
J) GDPR STATEMENT:
1. We are committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about the information we hold. We use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information.
2. We will put in place appropriate safeguards (both in terms of our procedures and the technology we use) to keep your personal information as secure as possible.
3. You have a right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies in this data corrected. You also have the right to object to any processing of your personal information, which we carry out for our legitimate organisational interests. Please contact us if you would like to exercise this right.