Kendal Mountain Festival is one of the world's premier mountain film festivals with a vision to inspire more people to explore, enjoy and represent mountains, wilderness and their cultures. With a 30 year heritage, the four day Festival hosts a highly respected international film competition, a packed lecture programme of guest speakers, a Literature Festival celebrating nature writing and an industry dedicated Film Summit.
If your film is selected for our 2018 Festival, we will invite you to join us over the Festival weekend as our special guest. You will gain the opportunity to join a networking hub of filmmakers, athletes, artists, authors and adventurers from around the globe. Kendal is an opportunity to gather together, to share, inspire and discover.
'Kendal' is the main social gathering for outdoor enthusiasts in Europe with over 16,000 visitors each year, with hundreds of film screenings including high-profile premières plus plenty of special guests making this a must-do long weekend in the stunning Lake District National Park.
A winner of 'Visit England's Tourism Event of the Year'; we are proud to say we believe it's the most diverse event of its type in the world. Oh and the parties are legendary! A warm welcome awaits our filmmakers!
At the heart of the Festival is the International Film Competition, which awards film prizes through an independent jury. The coveted awards (the Kendals) are the most beautiful sculptures created by artist and legendary Mountaineer – Andy Parkin!
With prizes and sponsorship packages on offer, opportunities to pitch your next idea to industry partners (with commissioning funds available) and the potential for inclusion on the Kendal World Film Tour and on new digital platforms with high calibre partners, we endeavour to ensure our filmmakers get as much out of the Festival as possible.
RULES & TERMS
There is a £25.00 administration fee for all film entries. This is payable via PayPal or credit/debit card as part of the entry process on FilmFreeway. Film entries can not be accepted until payment has been received.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR SUBMISSION
Films should be encoded as a .mp4 file using the H.264 format, with a bitrate of up to 30Mbps maximum.
Please use the AAC Audio Codec with a sample rate of 48,000Hz and a bitrate of 320kbps.
Please export your film at the same frame rate, aspect ratio and resolution (up to 1080p) that it was shot and edited in.
If your film is selected for competition, we will request screening files from you. PLEASE NOTE we are unable to accept 4K, DCP or ProRes files as our technical infrastructure does not support these formats.
All non-English films will require subtitles.
ALL SUBTITLES MUST STAY WITHIN TEXT SAFE AREA.
Maximum 38 characters per line. Text should be centred.
Subtitles should not appear at the same time as captions.
Maximum two lines of text per subtitle.
Reading speed: allow 2 seconds per line of text.
Expletives can be translated as such.
For playback purposes we would request that all films have 5 seconds of silent black video at the beginning and end.
Films submitted that do not meet these requirements will be re-encoded for screening, you may be charged for this service.
Please make sure that you read all the Terms and Conditions below:
a. The submission of any entry to the film competition implies acceptance of all procedures and regulations by the Entrant.
b. Films produced prior to the year 2016 will not be eligible for the competition.
c. Films maybe of any length and submitted by both professional and amateur filmmakers. Shorter festival edits of feature length film will usually be preferred. Films can be submitted by both professional and amateur filmmakers, and can include brand representation, although the submission of ‘adverts’ is discouraged. Films can have been previously been broadcast or released online.
d. Submission of films does not guarantee their showing at the Festival.
e. Films in any language other than English, MUST have English subtitles.
f. Screening fees will not be paid.
g. All entries give the right to Kendal Mountain Festival to show the film at the Festival up to eight times. We use many different venues over the four days of the Festival. We aim to ensure wide recognition and opportunities for the audience to vote for the ‘People’s Choice Award’ at all screenings.
h. All submissions will be retained by the Festival for adjudication, on demand and archival purposes.
i. By submitting a film to the Festival (and agreeing to these terms and conditions) you are confirming that all necessary permissions have been sought from contributors to the film, and royalties paid, including ‘release’ from those appearing in the film, and creators of any soundtrack/music..
i. The Entrant grants the Festival and its licensees the right to copy the entry in its entirety to facilitate technical operations of the Festival.
j. The Entrant acknowledges and agrees that all matters related to the awarding of prizes will be decided by the Festival organisers or the Festival judges at their sole discretion.
k. Finalists chosen by the committee will be judged by an international jury and viewed by the public at Kendal Mountain Festival.
l. Winners will be announced during the award ceremony on Saturday 17th November 2018.
m. All films entered in the Festival will also be considered for inclusion in the Film Tour and/or multi platform, broadcast programs. If your film is selected we will contact you to arrange a separate rights/licence agreements.
n. By submitting images and films and signing this form, the copyright holder is giving permission to Kendal Mountain Festival to use images and films for Festival promotion and documentary purposes. The copyright of these images will always remain with the copyright holder.
GRANT OF RIGHTS AND WAIVER
By entering the film competition, the Entrant represents and warrants that:
1. a) The Entrant hereby grants Kendal Mountain Events Limited the rights to use the film as outlined in this entry form.
2. b) It owns all right, title and interest, including the copyright and all intellectual property rights, in and to the film being submitted to the Festival and has the right to distribute, exhibit and promote the film in or through all media formats now known or hereafter devised, including, but not limited to, the Internet throughout the universe.
3. c) All music licences (including, without limitation, all synchronisation, mechanical and master-use licences, as applicable) have been obtained and all payments have been made that are required for the public performance of the music incorporated in the film; and
4. d) No material in the film being submitted by the Entrant to the Festival is libellous or is slanderous or defamatory or violates any right of privacy or publicity of any person, and the full use of the rights in such film will not violate any rights, including copyright or moral rights, of any person, film or corporation.
5. e) To the extent that the Film Producer may now or in the future be entitled to any so-called moral, author’s or similar rights in the film pursuant to the Copyright Act (United Kingdom) or otherwise, the Producer hereby irrevocably waives and relinquishes all such rights in favour of Kendal Mountain Events Limited and its assignees and licensees to the fullest extent permitted by law.
6. f ) By entering the Kendal Mountain Film Competition, the entrant acknowledges and agrees to all entry rules and regulations of the Festival.
The Entrant agrees to indemnify Kendal Mountain Events Limited and the Kendal Mountain Film and Book Festival, their respective successors, assigns, licensees, and their respective officers, directors, members, agents and employees and hold them harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages, costs, expenses (including reasonable legal fees) and penalties arising out of, resulting from, based upon or incurred because of a breach by the Entrant of any statement, representation or warranty made by the Entrant in this entry form.
As part of your entry, the following must be submitted. Please note that due to production schedules, footage may appear in the KMF Trailer Movie from films that subsequently do not achieve selection at the Film Festival.
a. A minimum of 3 high-resolution promotional still photographs at 300dpi must be submitted for each film. All images MUST include film title and any photographer credit. IMAGE FILE NAMES MUST INCLUDE FILM TITLE.
b. Images must include rights to be used for film promotional purposes.
c. Please identify key segments (between 30-60 seconds) that you feel best represent your film. We may use footage from these segments for promotional purposes leading up to the Festival and for promotion of subsequent Festival related events in the following 12 months. Please identify segments with time points.
d. If you have created one, please upload a trailer (720p or 1080p) at time of submission to promote your film.
e. The Festival reserves the right to use submitted material from the above for KMF promotional purposes across all media.
Terms & Conditions for the Photography Competition
1. All entries must be the original work of the entrant and must not infringe the rights of any other party. The entrants must be the sole owner of copyright in all photographs entered and must have obtained permission of any people featured in the entries or their parents/guardians if children under 16 are featured. Further, entrants must not have breached any laws when taking their photographs.
2. Images from camera phones can only be submitted to the category ‘Your View of the Lake District National park (Smartphone Category)’. These images must have a sufficiently high resolution to allow them to be reproduced at A3 size.
3. Entrants to the Youth Category must be under the age of 18 on the first day of the 2018 festival weekend.
4. Entries are limited to five images per person OVERALL.
5. The competition excludes employees of any of the competition sponsors and their immediate families, plus any person working with Kendal Mountain Festival 2018/19 in either an employed or voluntary capacity.
6. The winners will be selected by our judging panel over the festival weekend.
7. The deadline for entries to the photo competition is midnight on Friday 2nd November 2018.
8. You must be able to provide a high-resolution JPEG file if the quality of the uploaded file is deemed insufficient.
9. Copyright in all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. However, by submitting the photos to the competition, each entrant grants a worldwide, irrevocable, perpetual licence to Kendal Mountain Festival and their partners to feature any or all of the submitted images in any of their publications, their websites and/or in any promotional material connected to this competition.
10. Entries which have previously won a competition cannot be submitted.
We are committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold about you. We use your information in accordance with all applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information.
We will put in place appropriate safeguards (both in terms of our procedures and the technology we use) to keep your personal information as secure as possible.
You have a right to request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies in this data corrected. You also have the right to object to any processing of your personal information that we carry out for our legitimate organisational interests. Please contact us if you would like to exercise this right.