Kalamata International Short Documentary Film Festival is born from the well-known Peloponnisos International Documentary Film Festival.
After eight years of success with PelDocFest, it's time to give the short and mini documentaries their own space. An extra five-day event is happening!
The main event takes place in Kalamata, Greece, every October.
Special events, masterclasses, retrospectives, educational screenings, seminars and so on are part of the festival.
Films are presented to the public at monthly screenings when they are judged as "official selections" by a three-member jury and the audience chooses the winners.
Monthly winners are considered to be "semi-finalists" for the annual event, and they can use the festival's laurel.
Winners of the Kalamata International Short Documentary Film Festival annual event in the main categories are considered to be "officially selected" for the Peloponnisos International Documentary Film Festival in February. (https://filmfreeway.com/PeloponnisosInternationaldocumentaryFestival)
Kalamata International Short Documentary Film Festival retains an online database and all selected films can be accessed by a chosen group of industry professionals, journalists, and broadcasters just for your project promotion.
The festival is based on live audience events, but we also provide online, free of charge, screenings for the Greek audience. Access is limited to the geographical area of Greece and only for the first 100 viewers per film. The online voting system's audience votes are also counted in the live screening's audience awards.
1. Audience award for the best international documentary.
2. Audience award for the best Greek / Cypriot documentary.
(All films that were selected for the annual event are competitors for the special awards.)
1. Best Student International Documentary.
2. Best Student Greek / Cypriot Documentary.
3. Best Director.
4. Best First-time Director.
5. Best Story.
6. Best Cinematographer.
7. Best Editing.
8. Best Audio/Music
Please be sure to read all the rules and regulations before submitting your project.
This is a documentary film festival. Fiction films, Pseudo-documentaries, mockumentaries or any form that does not portray real events, are disqualified.
For student submissions, a Student ID is required as an attachment to your FilmFreeway profile.
Category 'Underage and school projects' is for Documentaries made by very young creators, under 18yo, or up to secondary education school, class projects.
This category is out of the main competition.
If you are older than 18yo and submit to this category we will consider it as abuse.
All decisions of programmers and jurors are final. All entries will be viewed and given equal consideration.
1. All films must be the original work of the filmmakers and all filmmakers must have the necessary rights.
2. All films must be submitted via FilmFreeway.
3. All films submitted must have been completed on or after January 1, 2019.
4. All films must be submitted with an online screener.
5. All films must be in English or have English subtitles.
6. All FINALISTS must have subtitles in both English and Greek (CC script required). Otherwise, the director's or distributor's contribution for the translation of English subtitles into Greek is €0.18/line.
7. If there are no synced subtitles SRT file in English, Spanish, French or German, the cost is €0.34/line for translating and syncing.
When available, the final Greek SRT file is delivered to the director/producer.
8. All short documentary submissions must be under 30 minutes.
For documentaries over 30 minutes long, please submit them to https://filmfreeway.com/PeloponnisosInternationaldocumentaryFestival
9. No film may be withdrawn from the festival program after its selection.
10. Participants agree that all materials related to their film (including excerpts of the film) may be published for any promotional purpose related to the Kalamata Short Documentary Festival & Peloponnisos Documentary Festival, including the Festival Program, Festival trailer, Festival Website, and any local or national media. Posters and images of the film may be used independently or in combination with images from other films to promote the film and the festival.
11. ALL SELECTED FILMS WILL BE UPLOADED TO OUR WEBSITE AND BE AVAILABLE TO A SELECTED GROUP OF INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS, JOURNALISTS AND BROADCASTERS TO PROMOTE YOUR WORK.
12. ALL SELECTED FILMS WILL BE AVAILABLE ONLINE FREE OF CHARGE TO AUDIENCE OF THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA OF GREECE FOR A MAXIMUM OF 100 VIEWS
13. ALL SELECTED FILMS WILL BE AVAILABLE ONLINE FOR SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NON-COMMERCIAL SCREENINGS
14. ALL SUBMISSION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE
PLEASE NOTE: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, festival dates and locations are subject to change.