The 15th edition of KASHISH Pride Film Festival will be held as an on-ground festival in Mumbai from June 5 to June 9 2024, followed by a virtual festival (dates to be announced).
KASHISH is committed to showcasing films by, about, and of interest to the LGBTQIA+ community and we specially encourage film submissions from women; people of color; transgender, intersex, asexual & non-binary people; and other underrepresented communities.
The Festival is produced by KASHISH Arts Foundation, a non-profit arts organization dedicated to the exhibition, distribution, funding and promotion of LGBTQIA+ films, alongwith Solaris Pictures.
Before submitting you will have an option to select only physical or both physical and virtual, and also if you wish to have your film geo-blocked.
Please read the submission guidelines carefully and submit ONLY if your film is eligible.
𝘼𝙗𝙤𝙪𝙩 𝙆𝘼𝙎𝙃𝙄𝙎𝙃 𝙋𝙧𝙞𝙙𝙚 𝙁𝙞𝙡𝙢 𝙁𝙚𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙫𝙖𝙡
KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival is now 𝐊𝐀𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐒𝐇 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐥𝐦 𝐅𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐥.
KASHISH is turning 15 years in 2024 and we wanted to celebrate it by being more Inclusive with a change of name and identity.
The festival is being renamed from KASHISH Mumbai International Queer Film Festival to 𝐊𝐀𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐒𝐇 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐅𝐢𝐥𝐦 𝐅𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐯𝐚𝐥 to reflect the contemporary aspirations of the LGBTQIA+ community, underlining the fact that the festival and its allied activities offer pride, hope and dignity.
KASHISH Pride Film Festival is the first LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, Intersex, Asexual) film festival in India to be held in a mainstream theater, and the first LGBTQIA+ film festival in India to receive clearance from the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
KASHISH Pride Film Festival, now considered South Asia’s biggest LGBTQIA+ film festival and one of world’s top 5 coolest LGBTQIA+ film festival, has over the past 14 editions become one of the biggest pride events in India.
Founded in 2010, the festival has grown from strength to strength, attracting close to 9000 footfalls over the 4 1/2 days of the festival at two/three venues. The festival, every year, has screened 110 - 180 films that include shorts, documentaries, features - all centered around LGBTQIA+ themes. The festival also attracts topline Bollywood celebrities, prominent filmmakers and media personalities, and receives every year over 150 write-ups in mainstream press in India and globally.
More information at http://mumbaiqueerfest.com
KASHISH Pride Film Festival has both Competitive and Non-Competitive categories.
KASHISH Pride Film Festival awards around Rs.2,00,000 lacs (US$2500) in cash prizes – the largest total amount awarded by any LGBTQIA+ film festival in the Indian subcontinent.
The Competition Categories are:
- Best Narrative Feature
- Best Documentary Feature
- Best Documentary Short
- Best Indian Narrative Short
- Best International Narrative Short
- Riyad Wadia Award for Best Emerging Indian Filmmaker
- Ismat Chughtai Award for Best Indian Woman Filmmaker
- Best Performance in a Lead Role
- Best Screenplay
- Best Student Short Film
- KASHISH QDrishti Film Grant
The winners will be selected by panels of eminent Jury members. The decision of the Juries will be final and is indisputable.
Please check underneath the terms & conditions for consideration in competition categories.
The Prize money and the Award Trophy will be sent ONLY to the Director of the film.
NOTE: The courier charges for dispatching of Award Trophies outside India will be deducted from the cash award amount.
𝗞𝗔𝗦𝗛𝗜𝗦𝗛 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟰 𝗧𝗲𝗿𝗺𝘀 & 𝗖𝗼𝗻𝗱𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀
1. KASHISH Pride Film Festival welcomes Filmmakers/ Producers/ Distributors across the world to submit features, documentaries, short and animation films that highlight/ focus on LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual) lives and issues.
2. Submit to our festival ONLY IF your film has LGBTQIA+ theme as its main focus. Films that do NOT pertain to LGBTQIA+ theme will be DISQUALIFIED. Please be respectful of our time and yours. Submission Fees are not refundable.
3. Films completed after January 1, 2022 can be submitted to the festival. However 𝗢𝗡𝗟𝗬 𝗳𝗶𝗹𝗺𝘀 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗽𝗹𝗲𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗮𝗳𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗝𝗔𝗡𝗨𝗔𝗥𝗬 𝟭, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯 𝘄𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗯𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗖𝗼𝗺𝗽𝗲𝘁𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗖𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗴𝗼𝗿𝘆.
4. KASHISH 2024 will be a hybrid festival - physical and virtual. Films playing at the virtual festival should be available online for all days of the festival.
5. The festival doesn’t accept films that are of less than 4 minute runtime including the beginning and end titles.
6. Films with a running time below 60 minutes will be considered in Short Film category. Above 60 minutes will be considered in Feature Film category.
7. All non-English language films SHOULD have English Subtitles.
We prefer English language films too with subtitles or close-captions, for the festival to be more inclusive and accessible to hearing impaired audience members.
8. Filmmakers are encourage to submit by the Earlybird Deadline before fees increase. Entry fees are not refundable. KASHISH Pride Film Festival only allots a small number of fee waivers for Festival Alumni as well as filmmakers in countries who are not able to legally send money through FilmFreeway.
9. The festival DOES NOT PAY SCREENING FEE to any selected films, neither to the filmmakers, producers nor to the distributors. Instead we choose to invest our resources in showcasing your films in the best possible manner and promoting your films as widely as possible.
10. Films submitted for earlier editions of KASHISH Pride Film Festival and not accepted cannot be submitted again. Re-submission of the same or re-edited films will not be approved and will be rejected.
11. Please use an email id/phone number that is checked regularly in case we need to get in touch with you throughout the submission process. If there is an issue with your submission and we are unable to get in touch with you by our final submission deadline, we will be forced to disqualify your submission.
12. Filmmaker/ Producer/ Distributor certifies that the person holds the rights for submission of film to the festival and will be considered as the original submitter. All correspondence will be done through email ONLY to the original submitter.
13. KASHISH Pride Film Festival is only responsible for considering the project as it exists at the time of review. The festival is under no obligation to revisit updated cuts once a screener has been seen, so be sure that the submitted film is the final cut in all respects.
14. Films are selected for programming only based on their merit. Please do not be persuaded by anyone who claims to have access to the Festival Team / Selection Committee, and asks for monetary or other favours to get your film selected in the festival. The Festival will not be responsible for any such dealings.
15. If your film is selected we require consent to screen it once, twice or thrice during the festival and its year round activities.
EARLYBIRD DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: DECEMBER 17, 2023
REGULAR DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: FEBRUARY 18, 2024
EXTENDED DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: MARCH 17, 2024
The Festival is not obliged to view any late entries.
𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗣𝗘𝗧𝗜𝗧𝗜𝗢𝗡 𝗖𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗚𝗢𝗥𝗬 𝗥𝗨𝗟𝗘𝗦
1. To be considered in COMPETITION CATEGORY, the film:
(a) Should be completed after JANUARY 1, 2023
(b) Should be a MUMBAI PREMIERE when screened at KASHISH Pride Film Festival. The film should NOT have screened in Mumbai at any film festival, community or NGO screening before KASHISH 2024.
(c) Should NOT have had a theatrical, satellite release, or streamed on any VOD platforms such as Netflix/ YouTube or any other platforms in India before KASHISH 2024.
(d) Films that don’t fulfill conditions in (a,b,c) cannot be considered for competition, but may still be considered for non-competitive category.
(e) Films even if complying the above rules, will still be selected on merit as per the decision of Selection Committee. Selection Committee's decision is final and binding.
2. Additional terms for consideration in STUDENT SHORT FILM COMPETITION CATEGORY:
(a) Apart from the above requirements, ONLY short films UNDER 60 minutes that pertain to LGBTQIA+ theme made by student/s of any Indian and International film & media institutes.
(b) The director of the Student Short Film must be of age 25 years and under, a current or recently graduated full-time student, and has made the submitted film as part of their course at the institute.
(c) If you are a Student Filmmaker please submit a scanned image of your valid student Photo ID as proof by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have already passed out of the institute, you can provide an official letter from your faculty head certifying that the submitted film was made as part of your film course at the institute. Please quote your FilmFreeway tracking number in the subject line of email.
(d) If the film has more than one director, the team should nominate one of the directors as a key person for all communication. In case the film wins, the award money will be sent to this person only.
(e) The entries shall be judged on the basis of originality, craft, entertainment and artistic quality, without regard to cost of production or subject matter.
1. The original submitter of the accepted film will be notified by email by April 14, 2024.
2. Please ensure that you have provided us with your correct/valid email.
3. After notification of selection, the film may not be withdrawn from the festival under any circumstance. For directors and producers, we strongly advise that everyone is in agreement about the festivals they are submitting to, which festivals they want to premiere at, and which version of the film is being submitted. When disputes arise, i.e. a film has been submitted without everyone’s explicit approval or the festival strategy has changed, we suggest that productions find a solution and come to an agreement with all the key decision makers before contacting us or any festivals the film has been submitted to.
4. Due to large number of entries we receive, we will not be able to offer any feedback to those films that are not accepted.
5. Accepted films will receive an email notifying the film's acceptance at the festival. Films not accepted will also be notified by email by the notification date*.
Please make sure the email address associated with your submission remains active throughout the submission process. Your status of Accepted/Not Accepted will also be reflected in FilmFreeway by the notification date.
* Notification date is subject to change, please check the festival website/ FilmFreeway page every few weeks for updates.
6. Upon acceptance we would need an exhibition copy in 2K file. Other materials required such as publicity stills, trailer, festivals list, etc. will be mentioned in the notification mail.
7. KASHISH Pride Film Festival reserves the right to use the selected film stills/ text/ video clip (limited to 10% of the total length and not exceeding 3 min) for promotional use in, but not limited to, Internet, print media, TV, etc.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The festival reserves the right to decide all questions regarding terms and conditions. By submitting your film to KASHISH Pride Film Festival via FilmFreeway, you accept the terms and conditions mentioned above.
For any submission related query, please write to our programming team at email@example.com