We are thrilled to announce the Sixth year of the Jim Thorpe Independent Film Festival (JTIFF) happening April 20-23, 2023 at the beautiful Mauch Chunk Opera House in historic Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania. Our first five years were such a rousing success, (even during COVID), that we are expecting to double the excitement and turnout for our 6th sensational year.
The Jim Thorpe Independent Film Festival channels the rebellious spirit of the infamous Molly Maguires, welcoming the boldest, most defiant filmmakers to present their work, shatter convention and incite spirited debate. Our credo is “eyes and minds wide open” and we mean it!
We welcome features and shorts of every genre and budget - from gritty underground and experimental films to traditional narratives and documentaries.
At Midnight on Saturday, we'll be continuing our very popular GRINDHOUSE program. So send us your wildest, most over-the-top films that not only push the envelope, but rip it to shreds! * NOTE that NO ONE UNDER 18 will be admitted to the GRINDHOUSE screenings.
We're also very pleased to continue our STUDENT FILM PROGRAM and as always, we'll be offering deep discounts for young filmmakers with proof of current enrollment.
And note that we continue to add even more LIVE MUSIC throughout our fabulous 4-day event! And we've also added a MUSIC VIDEO section to this year's competition. So submit your film now and we'll see you at the Mauch Chunk Opera House!
1 Best Feature
2 Best Short
3 Best Student Film – US
4 Best Student Film – International
5 Best Documentary
6 Best LGBTQ Subject
7 Best Horror / Sci Fi
8 Best Comedy
9 Best Animation
10 Best Experimental
11 Best Grindhouse
12 Best Music Video (NEW)
13 Best Director – Feature
14 Best Director – Short
15 Best Student Director – US
16 Best Student Director – International
17 Best Screenplay - Feature
18 Best Screenplay – Short
19 Best Cinematography
20 Best Cinematography – Student
21 Best Actor – Feature
22 Best Actress – Feature
23 Best Actor – Short
24 Best Actress – Short
25 Local Hero – Pennsylvania Filmmaker Award
26 Lehigh Valley Student Filmmaker Award
27 Special Jury Prize
• All projects must have been completed AFTER January 1, 2021
• All films submitted to JTIFF must NOT be released theatrically in the US, on Blu-ray or VOD, and must NOT be available to watch in its entirety on YouTube, Vimeo, or any other website or streaming platform, free or otherwise.
• Entrant warrants that there are NO DISPUTES regarding the ownership of their film/project/screenplay. If there is ANY DISPUTE whatsoever, said film/project/screenplay will be disqualified.
• Entrant(s) confirm(s) and warrant(s) required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images and content in the entry.
• Entrant(s) will allow usage of clips from the entry and all related publicity material submitted for promotional use on television, radio, in print, web and at live Festival events.
• All decisions made by judges, programmers and organizers will be final, and NO REFUND of entry fee will be permitted.
• The Jim Thorpe Independent Film Festival (JTIFF) reserves the right to remove a film from the festival program for any reason or for no reason, and shall not be liable for any refund or claims of any kind arising out of such removal. In case the film in question is disqualified, or is unable to screen due to technical, or operational difficulties, or if your film needs to be rescheduled, delayed, or removed from the program for any reason, the filmmaker(s) (cast, crew, or anyone involved with the project in question) are not entitled to any refund or damage claims of any kind.
By submitting to the Jim Thorpe Independent Film Festival (JTIFF) you must fulfill the following requirements by the date(s) designated by the Festival:
1. You must execute a release agreement wherein you (I) accept responsibility for obtaining any and all clearances necessary to exhibit your film at JTIFF; (II) warrant that you have the rights necessary to exhibit your film at JTIFF; (III) indemnify and hold harmless JTIFF, Todd Morris, Jocelyn O'Neil, all JTIFF sponsors, including but not limited to the town of Jim Thorpe, PA and any/all city departments, as well as JTIFF's affiliates, and subsidiaries and any of their respective directors, officers, employees, staff, volunteers, and representatives against any claim, including attorney's fees, arising out of exhibition, or non-exhibition of your film at JTIFF, and (IV) you warrant the submission of your original work and warrant that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission in question.
2. If selected, you must deliver to the email address(es) or dropbox designated by the Festival (I) one high res exhibition copy of the invited work. For features screening via Blu-ray, we recommend you ship via FedEx or UPS in order to permit the tracking of your entry once it leaves your hands.
3. All exhibition copies must be delivered at 1080p mp4 format or higher resolution.
4. JTIFF cannot be held liable or responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, or royalty infringement.
5. JTIFF reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason, or for no reason. We enforce this policy to ensure a secure, professional and convenient environment for all of our customers.
By submitting: You agree to indemnify, hold harmless from and defend JTIFF, Todd Morris, Jocelyn Morris, JTIFF's affiliates, and subsidiaries, and any of their respective directors, officers, employees, and representatives against all claims, demand losses, damages, judgments, liabilities, and expenses (including attorney's fees) arising out of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties, whether or not groundless, based on any film or project submitted to the Jim Thorpe Independent Film Festival (JTIFF), or rejected/removed/disqualified by the Jim Thorpe Independent Film Festival (JTIFF).
SUBMIT AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE! This not only allows more time for programmers to consider your film, but you will not run the risk of missing the deadline.
Selected projects will be screened via high-resolution (1080p minimum) mp4, H.264, ProRes, or Blu-ray discs in NTSC Region 0 or 1.
"Works in progress" will NOT be considered.
LANGUAGE: All entries must be either in English or contain English subtitles.
FINAL DEADLINE: Submissions received beyond the final deadline listed on FilmFreeway will NOT be considered.
Submission fees are NON-REFUNDABLE.
Blu-ray Screeners will not be returned.
LOSS OR DAMAGE: Every precaution will be taken to safeguard all materials submitted while in the possession of the Festival. However, we cannot accept or assume responsibility in the event of loss or damage.