Taking place in the heart of Indonesia’s bustling metropolis, Jakarta Independent Film Festival brings indie shorts from around the world. Aiming to highlight films of different genres and styles, and from different countries, we are looking for stories that capture the imagination, talent, and diversity of independent filmmakers. The Festival’s first edition, which was held online in 2020 due to the covid-19 restrictions was a great success attracting filmmakers, an international audience and industry experts. However, Jakarta Independent Film Festival was created with the aspiration to become a meeting point for cinephiles and industry professionals. Therefore the third edition in 2022 was held both online and offline with screenings, roundtables, and Q&As. It was a two-day celebration marking the Festival’s new era.
Being loyal to our vision, we work hard to make the annual Jakarta Independent Film Festival a connecting platform that will bring the audience back to the cinema halls.
Jakarta Independent Film Festival is organised by HF Productions, a pioneer organisation that runs Film Festivals and other events showcasing and championing ideas of diversity. Through our global series of film Festivals that spread over 13 countries, we open the path to voices with a compelling story to share. Our main mission is to honour independent cinema and establish a network of artists eager to join forces and spread their work across all nations. HF runs 25 film Festivals worldwide.
Our panel of international judges will shortlist nominees of each category for the Official Selection. The selected films from the Official Selection will be screened and at the end of the festival, will also hold an award ceremony, where we will be awarding winners from these categories.
International Short Film
International Feature Film
International Short Documentary
International Feature Documentary
Indonesian Short Film
Indonesian Short Documentary
Audio Visual Project
Non Monetary gifts to be awarded to winners of all categories.
• All submissions must be in English (Or accompanied by English subtitles, if in any other language).
• All films must be made in or after 2021.
• Short Films must be under 30 minutes in duration.
• Indonesian category is exclusively for Indonesian produced films.
• Filmmakers are responsible for the copyright of their own materials.
• By submitting to us, you give us consent and the right to screen your film in front of a live audience, and, under special circumstances, online screening.
• If you have submitted your project in the previous year, please do not resubmit the same project to the current edition.
• We do not accept partial screeners, trailers, or screener links that require access other than password protected links.
• Nominations: All films nominated for an award in every category. Not all nominated films will be screened.
• Official Selection: Nominated films selected for screening will be notified via email. If you received a Nomination email, but no Official Selection email, it means your film will not be screened, but is still a contender for an award in its category.
• Award Winners: Chosen from the Nominations (which includes the Official Selection).
Selected as winners will receive digital certificates and laurels.
• We may use clips from your film on social media, based on the press kits you have provided us with.
• We retain the right to change the date and venue of the festival under special circumstances. All filmmakers will be informed about any changes through our online platforms.
• We place no restrictions on your work in terms of premiere status or whether your work has been made available online.
• Any technical issues with the submitted films are 100% the responsibility of the filmmakers. If, at the time of judging, your video file doesn’t work or doesn’t have English subtitles (if in a language other than English), it will be automatically rejected, without a refund. Please contact the festival team ASAP if there are any issues with the submission process, and a solution will be found.
• We cannot provide refunds.
• By submitting to us you agree to our terms and conditions and to receiving marketing newsletters and discounts about film festivals in the form of emails. We will never sell your information to third parties.
• We reserve the right to update our terms and conditions.