Every year, the JEF festival attracts a lot of young film fans in Antwerp, Bruges, Ghent, Courtrai, Roeselare and Strombeek-Bever. At the JEF Festival, the festival for Youth Film and Audiovisual Experiment, you can enjoy the latest films, premieres, workshops, audiovisual installations and other exclusive events for and by children and youngsters.
We focus on European audiovisual works and installations. Our ECFA jury, children's jury, student competition jury & the audience choose the awards.
Several jury's decide on in several competitions. Find the details on our website: https://jeffestival.be/en/awards/awards
The festival program consists of multiple competition sections, an out of competition section. We are looking for European films and installations for children between 3 and 18 years old and in any form (film: animation, live-action, documentary, short, feature,..
Eligible films for competition are films:
- of at least 60 minutes to be considered a feature film;
- with a maximum length of 15 minutes to be considered a short film;
- with a maximum length of 25 min to be considered a short documentary film;
- produced within the 24 months prior to the festival;
- European films mainly produced in the countries of the European Union + Norway, Iceland and Switzerland, Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Serbia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania, FYR of Macedonia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova;
- aiming at children 6 to 12 years old;
Extra criteria for features in competition:
- not participated at any film festival in the Flemish or Brussels region in a Dutch spoken, subtitled or dubbed version;
- not been released in the Flemish or Brussels region in a Dutch spoken, subtitled or dubbed version;
- neither been presented in television nor on the internet / VOD in a Dutch spoken, subtitled or dubbed version;
for student shorts competition:
- made by students enrolled in one of the Flemish film schools, RITCS, KASK, LUCA (Narafi, Sint-Lucas, C-Mine)
Out of competition:
- Program for young children - Shorts, documentaries and features (age 1,5-6)
- Additional program – Shorts, documentaries and features (age 6-12)
- Films selected by youngsters for youngsters – (European) feature films for youngsters ( 12+)