Jogja-NETPAC Asian Film Festival ( JAFF ) is a premier Asian film festival in Indonesia focusing on the development of Asian cinema. This festival not only contributes to introducing Asian cinema to a wider public in Indonesia, but it also provides a space for the intersection of many sectors such as arts, culture, and tourism.
Since its inception, JAFF has worked closely with NETPAC (Network for the Promotion of Asian Cinema), a worldwide organization of 30 member countries. Headquartered in Colombo Srilanka, NETPAC is a pan-Asian film and cultural organization involving critics, filmmakers, festival organizes and curators, distributors and exhibitors, as well as educators. It is considered a leading authority in Asian cinema.
JAFF presents several awards to the best films in Asia such as Golden Hanoman Award, Silver Hanoman Award, NETPAC Award, Blencong Award, Geber Award, Jogja Students Film Award, and JAFF-Indonesian Screen Awards to express the deepest appreciation for Asian cinema.
1. The 18th Jogja-NETPAC Asian Film Festival (JAFF 2023) is presented by Yayasan Sinema Yogyakarta.
2. The Festival conducts non-competitive, retrospectives, and tributes sections for Asian films (production country, languages, and/or nationality of the director). The selection committee decides which section a film can participate in.
3. Submission opens until July 31th, 2023 through FilmFreeway page https://filmfreeway.com/JAFFJogja. There is a new regulation about submission fees (please kindly check our FilmFreeway page).
4. Participating films must not be made before January 2022, except for invitation films only.
5. We accept features (more than 45 minutes) and short (45 minutes or less) in narrative, documentary, experimental or animated form, with digital and DCP formats. We do NOT screen films on DVD or Blu-ray.
6. Be sure to provide all the materials needed on your FilmFreeway account before submitting to JAFF. The following materials are required for the catalog, website, and promotion of the film;
ii. Cast and Crew credits
iii. Technical Information (screening format, running time, sound, screen ratio, speed, language, subtitle)
iv. Dialog List in English (if available)
v. Biography and filmography of the director. (half page)
vi. Photograph of the Director - high quality
vii. 1 – 3 high-quality still photographs from the film
viii. Festivals/Awards/Exhibitions - complete updated list
ix. Production Company/Sales Company/ Contact
x. Director's Statement and/or Curator’s comments (if available)
xi. Press Kit/reviews (if available)
xii. Film's website and link to the film's trailer.
7. Films must include English subtitles (except for those with no dialogue).
8. The Festival is only responsible for outbound shipping (from JAFF) charges of the prints (DCP or other physical delivery). All physical materials and copies must be sent by prepaid shipping. JAFF will not accept collect shipments unless prior arrangements are made with JAFF.
9. Entry of the films for the Festival implies acceptance of these regulations. The festival management reserves the right to regulate cases not circumscribed by these regulations.
10. In case your film is selected;
a. You will be contacted before the official press conference which will be announced later.
b. Please kindly provide us the screening copy with English subtitles in the following formats:
For Feature film:
Quicktime format in minimum HD quality and DCP format, with the following technical specifications:
i. Quicktime format: Codec H264; Resolution: HD 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720; Data rate -for HD: 14000 kbps (for 1920 x 1080) or 12000 kbps (for 1280 x 720) to be uploaded via Vimeo.com/ WeTransfer.com/ Dropbox.com/ Google Drive or any other online platforms.
ii. DCP format: Digital or physical; Unencrypted; with burnt-in English subtitles.
*both formats are required for the feature films.
For short film:
i. Quicktime format in minimum HD quality, with the following technical specifications:
Codec: H264; Resolution: HD 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720; Data rate -for HD: 14000 kbps (for 1920 x 1080) or 12000 kbps (for 1280 x 720) to be uploaded via Vimeo.com/ WeTransfer.com/ Dropbox.com/ Google Drive or any other online platforms.
i. The festival accepts digital or physical files for both feature and short film. All of the information regarding the delivery of the film will be informed following the announcement.
ii. For the physical prints of the film, as mentioned above, the Festival is only responsible for outbound shipping (from JAFF) charges of the prints (DCP or other physical delivery). All Theatrical Screening Copies must be sent by prepaid shipping. JAFF will not accept collect shipments unless prior arrangements are made with JAFF.
Physical materials must preferably arrive in Yogyakarta, Indonesia for local clearance no later than October 7th, 2023. Films will be returned within three weeks after the Festival to the destination as notified in the entry form.