I Will Tell is a celebration of impactful dramas, documentaries, animations and short films from across the world. We provide a vital platform for independent filmmakers and inspire festival goers who are passionate about amplifying the voices of the unheard and shining a light on the hidden stories of the Other.
Our mission is to host, encourage and support the best of the world’s established and emerging filmmaking talent creating story-telling masterpieces. They are stories that empower the people whose voices would not otherwise be heard or whose stories have been hidden in distant memories, ignored or deliberately withheld from us. They are stories that provoke awe and wonder, sometimes just by helping us to treasure the single thread of redemption that runs through even the most difficult circumstances.
Each screening is followed by an inspirational post-screening discussion and debate with filmmakers, community leaders, country ambassadors, subject matter experts and an engaged, culturally diverse and conscious public. We say to our festival goers You Are I Will Tell because, in the end, we are all stories.
Our jury has included Bart Gavigan (Filmmaker and Hollywood script doctor), Max Oginni (Animator, Mr Bean Series), Lashana Lynch (Actress, Fast Girls), Prof Robert Beckford (BBC and Channel 4), Dionne Walker (Producer, THE HARD STOP), Martin Kiszko (Academic), Mark Playne (award-winning Director) and other award-winning filmmakers and professionals.
We showcase the most innovative and unforgettable films addressing issues such as war and peace, relationship, faith, family, business, government, gender issues, race, global politics, social purpose, community cohesiveness, social justice and much more as well as the intangible treasures of love, beauty and joy.
2018 will be our 12th year in the UK of showcasing award-winning films from over 40 countries of a variety of genres from micro animations to epic feature-length dramas followed by thought-provoking and inspirational post-screening discussions and we are just at the beginning of our US journey.
The name of the festival was inspired by a young girl, called Anel, from an impoverished area in Mozambique who wanted the world to know her story and the story of so many others around the world.
We love stories that challenge, awe us, shake us to the core of our beings and open up our minds to other possibilities. We love stories that encourage, empower, equip us and that inspire love, mercy and generosity. And we love stories that remind us who we truly are.
The UK festival is screened in partnership with Vue Cinemas in London. The US festival is screened in conjunction with Cinepolis Cinemas in South Florida.
Recent festival winners included:
Mischa Marcus - I AM STILL HERE (Best Drama)
Jonas Schaul & Oliver Becker - KINGSTON CROSSROADS (Best Documentary)
Samantha Babboni - ORDINARY MAN (Best Short Film)
Ya-Yu Lin - KEEP GOING (Special Mention)
At our 10th anniversary in 2016, Director KEN LOACH was given our DIAMOND AWARD
Special Screenings have included:
13TH (Ava DuVernay)
BIRTH OF A NATION (Nate Parker)
QUEEN OF KATWE (Mira Nair)
THE HELP (Tate Taylor)
I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS (Fielder Cook)
Other winners/outstanding films through the years have included:
A BOLD PEACE (NDINADSAWAPANGA AWARD)
PRAY THE DEVIL BACK TO HELL
WOMAN THOU ART LOOSED
Could you be in this list next year? We look forward to welcoming you to the 12th I Will Tell International Film Festival!
Awards & Prizes
Over £5,000 in cash prizes, goods and services
Best Feature Drama £1,250 in cash, goods and services
Best Feature Documentary £1,000 in cash, goods and services
Best Short Drama £500 in cash, goods and services
Best Animation £500 in cash, goods and services
AD HOC PRIZES
Ndinadzawapanga (Grand Jury Prize) is awarded for an exceptional film in any category £1,500 in cash, goods ad services
Special Mention £250 in cash, goods and services
Rules & Terms
We accept films from a wide range of genres that amplify the voices of the unheard and address the theme (The Secret Is Out) in a unique way, bringing a hidden, ignored or forgotten story to light.
1. A film may only be submitted to the festival by the rights owner and there must be no disputes regarding the ownership or distribution or exhibition rights of the submission in part or in entirety.
2. I Will Tell encourages freedom of intellectual expression, including controversial moral, social, political and economical issues, but reserves the right to exclude material if it judges it to be gratuitously offensive or pornographic.
3. The submitted material must not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead and the submitter fully indemnifies the I Will Tell International Film Festival against any claim made for such violations of law.
4. Each film for the competition should be treated as a separate entry and accompanied by a press kit in English.
5. Films can be submitted in the original language but they must have English subtitles.
6. The decision on whether or not to accept or screen an entry in either the UK or US festival is the sole right of I Will Tell.
7. I Will Tell is authorised to partially transmit, reproduce and screen selected excerpts from the films or photographs for promotional purposes on radio, television, the internet, print and other promotional media.
8. I Will Tell reserves the right to include the official festival logo in connection with submitted clips or photographs in all promotion and publicity material.
9. All film and music rights and clearances must be obtained (in accordance with relevant copyright laws).
10. You agree and hold the I Will Tell International Film Festival harmless from and defend them from all claims, demands, losses, damages, judgments, liabilities, and expenses (including legal fees) arising out of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties, whether groundless or not, based on any film submitted to the festival.
11. Failure to adhere to festival rules will result in disqualification of screening and forfeiture of entry fee.
12. By submitting the film into the competition, you confirm that the film complies with I Will Tell Submission Rules and certify that the film will not be withdrawn from the UK or US festival if the film is accepted.