Get screened in London, UK and Florida USA. The I Will Tell International Film Festival celebrates powerful, authentic stories that have been hidden, forgotten or ignored. These are stories that challenge perspectives and catalyse change. They bring Freedom, Power and Change. Many of our films have gone on to be nominated (and sometimes to win) in various categories at the BAFTAs and the OSCARS.
The 2022 UK Festival starts at the BFI, London on Thursday 7th July and runs until Saturday 16 July.
The 2022 US Festival takes place in late October in Deerfield Beach and Fort Lauderdale.
Full details will be added to our websie and communicated to filmmakers in competition.
The name of the festival was inspired by a young girl, called Anel, from an impoverished area in Mozambique who wanted the world to know her story in all its simplicity, authenticity, imperfection and power. She taught festival director, Jenny Lee, he word Ndindsawapanga which means I Will Tell.
Today I Will Tell gathers stories from around the world that contribute to a more omplete global narrative, challenging perspectives and inspiring and motivating in ways hat are truly transformative. Our festivals in the UK, US and the Caribbean premiere high quality dramas, documentaries, short films and animation. Each screening is followed by an inspirational post-screening discussion with filmmakers, community leaders, country ambassadors, subject matter experts and an engaged, culturally diverse and socially- conscious public. These discussions create a space for connecting filmmakers, change pioneers and the wider audience. Together we uncover deeper truths, enhance global empathy and catalyze change at an individual and societal level.
Our jury has included Bart Gavigan (Filmmaker and Hollywood script
doctor), Max Oginni (Animator, Mr Bean Series), Lashana Lynch (007, Fast Girls), Prof Robert Beckford (BBC and Channel 4), Dionne Walker
(Producer, THE HARD STOP), Oris Erhuero (Sometimes in April) .
Martin Kiszko (Academic and Storyteller)
Mischa Marcus, Director (I AM STILL HERE).
Our guests have included Lily James (Mama Mia), Raymond Santana (Exonerated Five) and Rev Dr Otis Moss III. We have premiered films by award-winning filmmakers such as Ava DuVernay as well as upcoming talents such as the Oscar nominated Kang Quintus.
Our mission is to host, encourage and support the best of the world’s established and emerging filmmaking talent creating story-telling masterpieces. They are stories that empower the people whose voices would not otherwise be heard or whose stories have been hidden in distant memories, ignored or deliberately withheld from us. They are stories that provoke awe and wonder.
2022 will be our 16th year showcasing award-winning films from over 50 countries of a variety of genres from micro animations to epic feature-length dramas followed by thought-provoking and inspirational post-screening discussions.
The 2022 festival will be a hybrid event of virtual and in-person screenings. The date range is unusualy wide to accommodate the UK and US event dates. Full details of dates of each country's festival will be announced on our website www.iwilltell.com.
We love stories that challenge, awe us, shake us to the core of our beings and open up our minds to other possibilities. We love stories that encourage, empower, equip us and inspire us. And we love stories that remind us who we truly are.
2021 Festival Winners are here https://iwilltell.com/and-the-winners-are/
2020 Festival Winners included
The Fisherman's Diary (Kang Quintus and JEnah Johnscott)
Dolapo is Fine (Ethosheia Hylton)
The Salt of the Earth, Gunpei Yamamuro) (Ryû Morioka )
The full list of winners is here: https://iwilltell.tv/pages/press-release
Recent (2019) festival winners included:
Marzieh Riahi (Driving Lessons)
Alex Blum and Noman Robin (A Modern Genocide)
Tomislav Zaja (Neighbors)
Emiliano Sette (Anacronte)
2018 Winners were:
Tedy Necula - Beside Me
Zara Balfour and Marcus Stephenson - Children of the Snowland
Stephen Gray - Discovering Heaven
Mohammed Bakshi - Are You Volleyball?!
2017 Winners were
Mischa Marcus - I AM STILL HERE (Best Drama)
Jonas Schaul & Oliver Becker - KINGSTON CROSSROADS (Best Documentary)
Samantha Babboni - ORDINARY MAN (Best Short Film)
Ya-Yu Lin - KEEP GOING (Special Mention)
At our 10th anniversary in 2016, Director KEN LOACH was given our DIAMOND AWARD
Special Screenings have included:
WHEN THEY SEE US (Ava DuVernay)
13TH (Ava DuVernay)
BIRTH OF A NATION (Nate Parker)
QUEEN OF KATWE (Mira Nair)
THE HELP (Tate Taylor)
I KNOW WHY THE CAGED BIRD SINGS (Fielder Cook)
Other winners/outstanding films through the years have included:
A BOLD PEACE (NDINADSAWAPANGA AWARD)
PRAY THE DEVIL BACK TO HELL
WOMAN THOU ART LOOSED
Could you be in this list next year?
The festival was founded by Trinidadian born Jenny Lee who was inspired by her Christian faith to tackle some of life’s big questions and shine a light of hope on those of every gender, race, age, creed and ethic who have been overlooked, under-served and misrepresented. We showcase the most innovative and unforgettable films addressing issues such as race, social justice, relationship, faith, war and peace, business, government, gender issues, identity, global politics and community cohesiveness.
We look forward to welcoming you to the 16th I Will Tell International Film Festival!
2022 Theme: #INFINITY
Best Feature Drama
Best Feature Documentary
Best Short Drama
Best Experimental Short
Best Actor, Narrative Feature
Best Actress, Narrative Feature
Best Actor, Narrative Short
Best Actress, Narrative Short
Best Ensemble Acting
Rising Star Award
Best Film Music
Audience Award Dramatic
Audience Award Documentary
AD HOC PRIZES
Ndinadzawapanga (Grand Jury Prize) is awarded for an exceptional film in any category
Special Jury Prizes
We accept films from a wide range of genres that amplify the voices of the unheard and address the theme in a unique way, bringing a hidden, ignored or forgotten story to light.
1. A film may only be submitted to the festival by the rights owner and there must be no disputes regarding the ownership or distribution or exhibition rights of the submission in part or in entirety.
2. I Will Tell encourages freedom of intellectual expression, including controversial moral, social, political and economical issues, but reserves the right to exclude material if it judges it to be gratuitously offensive or pornographic.
3. The submitted material must not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead and the submitter fully indemnifies the I Will Tell International Film Festival against any claim made for such violations of law.
4. Each film for the competition should be treated as a separate entry and accompanied by a press kit in English.
5. Films can be submitted in the original language but they must have English subtitles.
6. The decision on whether or not to accept or screen an entry in either the UK or US festival is the sole right of I Will Tell.
7. I Will Tell is authorised to partially transmit, reproduce and screen selected excerpts from the films or photographs for promotional purposes on radio, television, the internet, print and other promotional media.
8. I Will Tell reserves the right to include the official festival logo in connection with submitted clips or photographs in all promotion and publicity material.
9. All film and music rights and clearances must be obtained (in accordance with relevant copyright laws).
10. You agree and hold the I Will Tell International Film Festival harmless from and defend them from all claims, demands, losses, damages, judgments, liabilities, and expenses (including legal fees) arising out of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties, whether groundless or not, based on any film submitted to the festival.
11. Failure to adhere to festival rules will result in disqualification of screening and forfeiture of entry fee.
12. By submitting the film into the competition, you confirm that the film complies with I Will Tell Submission Rules and certify that the film will not be withdrawn from the UK or US festival if the film is accepted.