The prestigious International Academy of Web Television will host its 5th IAWTV Awards at a gala celebration honoring the best in streaming series starting at 8 p.m. on October 4, 2017, in the Ahmanson Ballroom at the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles. Red Carpet and Reception with a Cash Bar will start at 6 p.m.
The IAWTV (www.iawtv.org), now a division of The Caucus for Producers, Writers & Directors (www.caucus.org), will recognize the finest creators, cast and crew of web series from around the world. This year, the IAWTV Awards 2017 brings the ceremony to Los Angeles after being produced for several years in Las Vegas in conjunction with conferences such as CES and NAB.
The IAWTV Awards have been credited with launching Hollywood careers. Julian De Zotti, co-creator of "Whatever Linda" said "Winning an IAWTV Award opened the door to our development deal with The Mark Gordon Company to turn our series into an hour-long TV show."
Open to IAWTV members and non-members alike, the show itself will recognize the contributions of creative professionals in 30 separate categories that run the gamut of genres and crew positions. The entire ceremony will be streamed live online.
The Caucus mission is “leading the evolution of television by providing a creative forum for Producers, Writers & Directors to explore the issues of the ever-changing landscape of content and exhibition.” The IAWTV Awards supports this mission by rewarding shows that expand the boundaries of independent television.
Awards & Prizes
The top finisher among the five nominees in each of the 30 categories will receive an engraved awards statue to commemorate their accomplishment.
Rules & Terms
GENERAL CONDITIONS OF ENTRY - THESE APPLY TO ALL ENTRANTS REGARDLESS OF CATEGORY.
All entrants are required to accept the following terms and conditions as part of the entry process. The International Academy of Web Television reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions or issue binding rules on any matter not included in these terms and conditions as needed. Such decisions shall be final.
1. Every submission must be submitted in one of the main categories (Best Dramatic Series, Best Comedy Series, Best Animated Series, Best Children's Series, Best Non-English Series, Best Documentary or Educational Series, Best Pre-Recorded Hosted Series, Best Live Series). An entry is flagged as ineligible if the submitter fails to adhere to this rule.
2. For all categories, only episodes of a web series that were either completed or released during the defined eligibility period of February 28, 2015 through August 15, 2017 (hereinafter “eligibility period”) are permitted to be entered for consideration in the 2017 IAWTV Awards and only so long as at least 2 or more episodes of the web series were completed or released within the eligibility period. Note that submitters may enter content which has been completed but not yet released to the 2017 IAWTV Awards, but then may not submit the same content to future years’ awards, regardless of eventual release date.
3. Only the owner(s) or authorized representative(s) may enter a submission of original material (may contain licensed content) for consideration. Submitted works must be from a “web series.”
4. A “web series” is defined as a series of two (2) or more episodes held together by the same title, trade name or mark, or identifying personality common to all the episodes that initially aired and was distributed anywhere in the world via mobile or the Internet using website technology (e.g., .com, .net, .biz, .org, etc...), or is intended to distribute in such a way as the primary form of distribution. Exclusions from this are works such as previews, trailers, sizzle reels, commercials, any sequences from feature-length films for theatrical distribution or home video release, aired and unaired episodes of established TV series delivered on free network broadcast television, pay television and all forms of cable television, and any unsold traditional TV series pilots. If your series has been re-packaged as a digital feature, it may be eligible, however your entry must contain material only from the original web series format. Any entry containing content deemed to be from something other than a web series (with the exception of material provided in the Best Transmedia Experience Category), shall be subject to disqualification.
5. All submissions and entry fees must be received by 11:59pm PDT on August 15, 2017, unless a revised date is announced by the IAWTV. All submissions must be received and paid for via the FilmFreeway online entry system. There will be no exceptions.
6. Each entrant is responsible for ensuring their entry contains correct information and that there is no technical fault preventing playback online for IAWTV and The Caucus members during judging. Failure to do so may result in the entry being disqualified without refund if a minimum number of jurors are unable to rate it. Note that our membership is international, and therefore submissions must be viewable in all regions to ensure all members will be able to vote on them.
7. The name, social media and credit details entered under each entry will be published if that entry becomes a finalist and/or winner. Please ensure these details are correct at the time of entry. Personal contact details such as phone and email addresses will be kept confidential.
8. A discounted entry fee is available to entrants who are Active Members of the IAWTV. An “Active Member” is any natural person who has met the criteria for membership set forth in the most current policy adopted by the IAWTV and whose annual dues has been paid on or before the final date of submission of August 15, 2017. If you are an "Active Member" of the IAWTV please get in contact with us BEFORE SUBMITTING in order to receive your personal discount code.
9. There will be two phases of judging. Phase 1 shall consist of curated teams of jurors for each category, with expertise in the selected category, who are not in conflict with any submission in that category. These jury teams will rate the submission in that category and the combined scores will be used to determine the top five entries in each category. In the event of a tie, there may either be a sixth nominee named, or an additional juror will be assigned to break the tie. Phase 2 shall be open to all members of the IAWTV and The Caucus who are in good standing, and became members prior to August 15, 2017. Phase 2 shall commence on September 5, 2017 through September 26, 2017 and will consist of members of the IAWTV voting on all nominees determined in Phase 1. Winners will be announced at the Awards show on October 4, 2017 in Los Angeles.
10. Phase 2 voting on the IAWTV Awards shall be by the Active Members of the IAWTV. Only Active Members who joined the IAWTV on or before August 15, 2017 shall be allowed to vote on the IAWTV Awards. There shall be no exceptions.
11. If in the opinion of the IAWTV none of the entries in any category meets the criterion of excellence, the category may be eliminated. If a category is not awarded due to this condition, no refund will be made.
12. In any instance where there are insufficient entries in a category the entries will not proceed and no award shall be made at the discretion of IAWTV. If no award shall be made because of insufficient entries your entry fee will be refunded.
13. Any entrant wishing to withdraw their submission from the awards should contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to September 5, 2017.
14. Upon completed submission the entrant hereby grants a non-exclusive license of the entry to the IAWTV to reproduce stills, clips, and/or logos for worldwide promotional usage on the IAWTV Awards website, IAWTV social media including but not limited to Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and Twitter, IAWTV affiliate web sites, the Award show web site, online, print and TV advertising creatives, and media coverage.
15. The entrant must declare if the entry is subject to any dispute or litigation with a third party. To make a declaration please email email@example.com.
16. The success of the IAWTV Awards relies on complete confidentiality until the winners are publicly announced during the live Awards event which is scheduled to be held October 4, 2017 in Los Angeles. All entrants are required to adhere to this condition; failure to do so could result in disqualification. The IAWTV will make all announcements concerning nominees and winners.
17. The IAWTV decisions regarding the IAWTV Awards will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
18. Member submission rates are permissible to be used by Active Members of the IAWTV only. Any misuse of a these rates is subject to disqualification of the submission without refund.
19. Highlight Reels may be accepted in some categories for consideration instead of an episode, if the submitter feels that is the best way to demonstrate excellence in the category. For example, if a performer appears in several short scenes across multiple episodes, a submitter may want to create a reel of those scenes for consideration. Highlight reels must contain only material from episodes created or broadcast in the qualifying period. Highlight reels must contain material cut directly from the source material in qualifying episodes without further manipulation other than trimming. Enhanced sizzle reels, trailers, montages, or any changes to music, composition, color, or visual effects are not acceptable, and may result in disqualification.
20. The IAWTV reserves the right to withdraw an Award from a winner at a later date without refund if the IAWTV later finds that the entrant did not comply with any of these entry conditions.