Presented by the Atlantic Filmmakers Cooperative, the Halifax Independent Filmmakers Festival is committed to showcasing bold, boundary-pushing independent cinema. We look for films from new and unique voices that experiment with genre, structure or form. Since its inception, HIFF has showcased the Atlantic region's most innovative works alongside the films of acclaimed visiting artists.
The festival includes feature and shorts screenings, receptions, celluloid installations, daytime masterclasses with visiting filmmakers and one-on-one meetings between local filmmakers and guest programmers from Canadian and international festivals.
The 16th HIFF will take place June 9–12, 2022, in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada.
PLEASE NOTE: HIFF only accepts submissions from filmmakers based in Canada.
1. HIFF accepts film submissions of all genres from Canada-based filmmakers.
2. HIFF only accepts online screeners. We DO NOT accept DVD submissions.
3. All submissions must have been completed after Jan. 1st, 2020.
4. Non-English language films must be presented in English-subtitled versions.
5. Works in Progress are eligible for submission, however films must be completed by print traffic deadline. Please be aware programmers only view the first version of a submitted film and will not accept a revised version of the film later in the submission process.
1. HIFF shorts are selected by a peer-jury of filmmakers.
2. Successful applicants will be notified by May 10, 2022 via email.
3. Due to time constraints our programming team will not be able to respond individually to filmmakers if your film is not accepted.
4. Decisions made by the HIFF programming team are final.
1. If your film is selected you must send the following to the Festival by May 20th, 2022:
• Minimum two high-resolution film stills
• One high-resolution director's headshot photo
• Brief synopsis of the film
• Exhibition copy of the film in high-resolution Quicktime ProRes format
• Online link to film trailer (if available)
2. Filmmakers will be paid a screening fee based on rates set by the Independent Media Arts Alliance (www.imaa.ca).
3. One representative from each film selected to screen will be provided with a pass to all festival events.
4. Your submission of this entry form confirms that:
• You have the legal right to represent and submit this film for consideration to
• The festival is not responsible for any claim involving copyright, trademark, or
royalty infringements related to the work.
• You agree to allow the festival the use of your film and its publicity materials for