Festival was launched in 2005 on 100th anniversary of Slovenian cinematography in Ljutomer, where first Slovenian motion pictures were made by Dr. Karol Grossmann. Since its very beginnings, the first international festival dedicated to genre cinema in the region, featured a selection of unconventional movies and numerous film guests. This tradition was carried on successfully, so Grossmann Festival soon became one of most interesting film events in this part of Europe.
We focus on fantastic, frightening, fierce and transgressive movies that reach beyond ordinary genre conventions. Our aim is to return danger and boldness into modern-day cinema, which in its mediocrity, political correctness and desperate desire for mass appeal loses more and more of its former reputation, influence, creativity and consequently its audience.
We also wish to stress the fact that genre cinema is by its low-budget nature just ideal for Slovenia or any other country with low capacity film production, resources and audiences. These films manage to attract the audiences with their outraging stories, while leaving enough space for most subversive authors to explore the vast artistic possibilities of the genre format and deliver all-time cult classics that make film history. Grossmann festival is dedicated to this silent, but much more dangerous and funny side of cinema, that pulls no punches, wallows in excess, political incorrectness and goes all the way and beyond. But, in order to fully understand it, one must take time, enjoy the adrenalin-ridden ride and equip their most extreme sense of humor. And this can be so much easier with a glass of good wine...
Among our numerous guests in previous years, the spoils of our festival were enjoyed by such legends as Christopher Lee, Roger Corman, Franco Nero, Ruggero Deodato, Menahem Golan, Brian Yuzna, Enzo G. Castellari, Udo Kier, Jose Mojica Marins, Lloyd Kaufman, Uwe Boll, Jörg Buttgereit, Slobodan Sijan, Goran Markovic, Djordje Kadijevic…
Each year our accompanying program also features numerous wine tastings, art exhibitions, live concerts, workshops, panels, book presentations, Subculture Market and traditional monster parties. And of course free camping for all our visitors!
Since 2010, Grossmann Fantastic Film and Wine Festival is an adherent member of the European Fantastic Film Festivals federation (EFFFF). In 2013 US-based MovieMaker Magazine has listed Grossmann Festival among the “Top 5 Coolest Horror/Sci-FI Film Festivals in the World”.
Awards & Prizes
Vicious cat - feature films
Slak's Vicious cat - short films
Méliès d’Argent - European short films for the competition in EFFFF (www.melies.org)
Noisy cat - music documentaries
Rules & Terms
1. Year of production may not be before 2015.
2. Selection of submissions will be performed by festival commission. Selected movies will be screened at the festival. Winners will be chosen by a special expert jury.
3. Only genre live-action and animated movies will be considered for selection in VICIOUS CAT category for feature films and SLAK's VICIOUS CAT & MÉLIÈS D'ARGENT for short films.
Only documentaries about music genres and/or artists will be considered for the selection in NOISY CAT category.
4. All movies must include English subtitles.
5. Submission must include short biography and filmography of author.
6. Submission must include at least two photos from the movie and poster artwork. Short trailers or excerpts from movies (not longer than 20 seconds) are also welcomed. Submitted materials will be used exclusively for promotional purposes of the festival.
7. Movies in selection are copied for the festival archive. The organizer reserves the right to use them for promotional purposes of the festival and its program. Movies and excerpts of movies will not be used for any commercial purposes.
8. By completing this entry form you confirm to agree with the rules stated above.