Welcome to the 2nd edition of Global University Film Awards!
Initiated by the Academy of Film, School of Communication of Hong Kong Baptist University, the Global University Film Awards has over the years gained recognition from home and aboard. On GUFA first edition in 2018, over 1,000 tertiary educational institutions from near 100 countries around the world, including Australia, Bulgaria, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Mainland China, Malaysia, Russia, South Korea, Taiwan, the UK and the US participated to compete for 17 awards and showcased the best short films of their students.
Building on its previous success, the first edition of GUFA will open entries to young filmmakers around the world by accepting original language short films with English subtitles in various genres. This extension signifies a key milestone for GUFA as an important cultural gateway and collaborative focus amongst student talents, academics and industry on a wider geographical scope.
On top of the short film competition and multiple screenings during the event, the forthcoming GUFA will also include a star stunned Award Presentation Night, master classes by renowned film makers and a pitching session with small prizes. Semi finalists will be invited to Hong Kong to participate in the event.
GUFA strives to encourage and recognise emerging filmmakers while at school or recently graduated; foster creative and cultural exchange among film students around the globe; and inspire synergy between regional young talents and the international creative industry.
GUFA is an opportunity and open platform for university students/fresh graduates to showcase talent, exchange ideas and foster networking.
CROSS GENRE :
HKBU Academy of Film's Choice ((USD5,000 and Trophy)
NARRATIVE SHORTS :
Gold Award (USD10,000 and Trophy)
Best Director (USD10,000 and Trophy)
Best Script (USD10,000 and Trophy)
Best Narrative Short (USD10,000 and Trophy)
Special Mention of Narrative Short (Trophy only)
Best Asian Narrative Short (USD10,000 and Trophy)
Special Mention of Asian Narrative Short (Trophy only)
DOCUMENTARY SHORTS :
Best Documentary (USD10,000 and Trophy)
Special Mention of Documentary (Trophy only)
ANIMATION SHORTS :
Best Animation (USD10,000 and Trophy)
Special Mention of Animation (Trophy only)
Best Experimental (USD10,000 and Trophy)
Special Mention of Experimental (Trophy only)
- Open to college/university current students and 2017-18 graduates for works completed after 1st Sept., 2017 while at college/university
- All titles must be under 30mins including credits
- All non-English films require English subtitling; Chinese language films require both English and Chinese subtitling
- Each student/graduate may submit only one piece of work for each category
- Titles that have previously entered into the GUFA will not be accepted
- Entries must be endorsed by university/college with student number, name and address of university/college, name and email of advisor
- All entries must be original and clear of all rights
- It is the sole responsibility of the entrant to clear all content of the film from any and all actual or potential legal claims and issues, including but not limited to claims based upon using music, stock footage, and any other elements contained and/or used in the film. The Award will not be held responsible for any legal issues that might arise from the inclusion of uncleared materials in the film
- The Award accepts only on-line digital submission
- Officially selection will be notified by email upon which a copy of the student card will be required to qualify entrant for the final round of competition. Semi finalists are required to make works downloadable on the platform
- Shortlisted titles will be exhibited for up to 5 screenings during the 3 days of event
- The Award will use not more than 6mins of the title for promotional purpose from 3 months before the event to one year after the award ceremony
- The Award has final decision on promotional arrangement
- The Award shall be exhibiting a selection of winning and/or shortlisted titles on its website for a period of 12months after the event. Shortlisted entrants not interested in this exhibition opportunity are required to opt out in advance upon replying to the official selection notification email and invitation of filmmaker to the event
- The Award shall have the perpetual right to keep one copy of each entry for educational, archival and research purposes unless entrants write in objection to the practice
- All decisions made by the Award Committee are final
- Submission to the Award implies that entrants agree to the above rules and terms of the Award