CREATING RADICAL CHANGE IN ENTERTAINMENT
Based in Austin, TX, GIFT Fest tackles the challenge of gender equality in entertainment by focusing on our next generation of filmmakers and creators (22 and younger). When we ensure that girls and/or nonbinary individuals are 50% of the equation, projects are improved. GIRL improved.
A virtual festival, GIFT Fest showcases approximately 70 short films made by girls and enby youth for on-demand viewing during a week-long period in August. The festival also includes pre-recorded panels geared towards emerging filmmakers. In addition, Q&A sessions with the filmmakers are available for on-demand viewing.
NEW THIS YEAR: Select winners of the screenplay competition will receive a live reading of their screenplay.
Separated by age, each GIFT Fest award winner will receive feedback from professionals in the industry who will give advice and suggestions on how to raise your work to the next level.
- Four award winners in the 19-22 year old category;
- Four award winners in the 16-18 year old category;
- Two award winners in the 14-15 year old category;
- Two award winners in the 13 and younger category;
- Plus, CASH prizes!
NEW! SHORT SCREENPLAY COMPETITION
Also separated by age, winners receive feedback from professionals in the industry and cash prizes.
NEW! SPOTLIGHT ON EQUAL RIGHTS LINE-UP
The theme for this year is "Equal Rights." If your film is inspired by equal rights, you are eligible for the Spotlight On Equal Rights Line-up with additional awards/prizes.
ELIGIBILITY AND RULES
GIFT Fest invites artists from around the world, who are 22 or younger and identify as girls or nonbinary, to submit content twelve minutes or shorter that meets the following criteria:
1. The director and at least 50% of the key creative team (writer, producer, cinematographer, editor) must be girls or nonbinary, and
2. At least 50% of the people on screen must be girls or nonbinary.
Awards are limited to films made in 2021-2022, but all official selections will be screened and included in the Q&A sessions.
Notification is in July.
- Pieces must be 12 mins or less.
- Entire crew must consist of students 22 or younger.
- Submissions from any genre of film are acceptable (i.e. narrative, documentary, animation, experimental, music video, etc.).
- Submissions from any type of television/web series are acceptable.
- Content must be in English or subtitled/translated to English.
- Any piece selected can be used for promotional purposes.