The Guanajuato International Film Festival has placed itself as the most important platform for young filmmakers in Latin America. Beginning in 1998 in San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato City, GIFF offers an extensive selection of screenings, workshops, conferences and concerts that are free of charge for the audience. It’s also an essential destination for international film industry professionals for a wide variety of networking opportunities.
Join us in San Miguel de Allende, León and Irapuato from July 22 - 31, 2022 and be part of this celebration of film. Más cine, por favor!
Prizes and recognitions will be awarded to films in each competitive category. Each distinction will be decided by an international jury, made up of film industry professionals whose names shall be announced shortly before the festival. The jury’s decision is final and cannot be appealed. Prizes may include trophies, cash awards, or materials and services granted by festivals sponsors, such as post-production services, equipment, etc.
XXV GUANAJUATO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
CALL FOR FILM SUBMISSIONS
1. OBJECTIVE. The primary objective of the Guanajuato International Film Festival is to provide more opportunities for the exhibition and appreciation of films, rewarding their quality so as to allow the artists to continue producing. At the same time, we intend to bring together newcomers alongside the industry’s most seasoned professionals, to join forces in a very open, accessible and competitive environment.
2. EVENT DATES. The XXV edition of the Guanajuato International Film Festival will be celebrated from July 22 – 31, 2022, in the cities of San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato, Mexico.
3. CATEGORIES OF COMPETITION. The following categories of competition have been established:
Shorts (up to 30 minutes including credits) filmed in any film, video or digital format completed after January 1st, 2021 are eligible to compete in the following categories: INTERNATIONAL FICTION, MEXICAN FICTION, INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY, MEXICAN DOCUMENTARY, EXPERIMENTAL, ANIMATION, VIRTUAL REALITY and GUANAJUATO (for local productions).
Features (over 30 minutes), filmed in any film, video or digital format, completed after January 1st, 2021, and that have not yet acquired distribution in commercial theaters within Mexico are eligible to compete in the following categories: INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM FICTION, MEXICAN FEATURE FILM FICTION, INTERNATIONAL FEATURE DOCUMENTARY, MEXICAN FEATURE DOCUMENTARY.
4. EXHIBITION. The Festival shall determine the order and date of exhibition of each work. Submissions may also be invited to participate in out-of-competition programs.
Films must be submitted through the official registration form available on FilmFreeway.com. Secure online screeners should be submitted with the application.
Registration cost is 25 USD per film for international productions, payable through the registration platform. Registration is free of cost for Mexican filmmakers.
There is no limit to the amount of films that a filmmaker or producer may register.
Music videos, commercial work, and political propaganda are not accepted. In the VR category, gaming, augmented reality and non-narrative experiences are not eligible.
In order to be considered, the materials must be presented in Spanish, English, or with subtitles in either of these two languages.
Virtual Reality projects must be viewable via Samsung Gear VR, Oculus Rift or HTC. A link to a downloadable 360° video file (.mp4) should be submitted the email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, a 2D version or documentation of the project should be submitted through registration platform.
When submitting your film, it is mandatory to include an Electronic Press Kit (EPK) either through FilmFreeway.com or emailed to email@example.com including: at least one still photo from the film (in jpg or tif format at 300 dpi); a synopsis of the film in Spanish, English, or both if available; a brief biography of the director in Spanish, English, or both if available; director’s photograph (in jpg or tif format at 300 dpi); film credits.
The deadline for registration and delivery of materials is April 1, 2022.
All shipping expenses for participating works, from their place of origin to the address of this organization, shall be paid exclusively by the participant. The festival will not be responsible for the cost of receiving any additional materials.
Once a film has been submitted for participation it cannot be withdrawn.
The festival does not pay screening fees.
Films in the festival’s Official Selection will be viewable in the GIFF Digital Film Library, accessible to industry professionals throughout the duration of the festival and available to be viewed privately on a secure server by jury members, film festival programmers, critics, buyers, and distributors during and after the event. The contact information for each corresponding producer or rights holder will be published.
Selected films may form part of the festival’s travelling showcases, participating around the world.
6. SELECTION AND JURIES. The selection will be carried out by the festival organization’s programming team, including its pre-screening juries. The selection decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
7. AWARDS. The festival organization will present each participant in competition with a certificate of selection. Additionally, prizes and recognitions will be awarded to films in each competitive category. Each distinction will be decided by an international jury, made up of film industry professionals whose names shall be announced shortly before the festival. The jury’s decision is final and cannot be appealed. Prizes may include trophies, cash awards, or materials and services granted by festivals sponsors, such as post-production services, equipment, etc.
8. ACADEMY AWARDS QUALIFICATION. Recipients of the festival’s awards for Best Short Fiction, Best Short Documentary and Best Short Animation will qualify for consideration in the Short Film categories of the annual Academy Awards® (Oscars) of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences - for further information please visit www.oscars.org.
9. CONTACT INFORMATION AND DELIVERY ADDRESS:
GUANAJUATO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
Fabrica La Aurora, Local 5-B, Col. Aurora
San Miguel de Allende, Gto., C.P. 37700, Mexico
firstname.lastname@example.org. +52 (415) 152.72.64 ext. 20