Coronavirus and the Covid-19 disease changed the world in so many different ways. For the last two years — 2020 and 2021 — we had our festival online, which was a new experience for us. It all went well, and instead of a small audience at one venue, we had the audience around the world! That was one big benefit, but we missed having people together, and talk about the films and make new friends.
Due to the uncertainty of the pandemic, we are still unsure of holding the 18th edition of the Free Spirit Film Festival (2022) at certain venue like in the past. If gathering still remains as an issue, we will host it online again.
If the pandemic situation changes, and we could hold the festival at certain venue, we will announce when and where once we have those finalised. Submissions will be opened in June.
There are 13 awards presented in the festival. A grand jury will decide the winners from the pool of films which are part of the festival. The Audience Award will be decided by festival-goers' ballots. Each winner will receive a certificate.
Awards are presented in the following categories:
Best Short Film
Best Art Direction
Best Original Concept
Special Jury Prize
1. Films made in the last one year after 30 June 2021 are accepted.
2. Only one film per director will be accepted.
3. Once a film has been selected it cannot be withdrawn from the Festival.
4. Non-English language films must have subtitles in English.
5. Request for entry fee waiver or reduction will not be accepted.
6. Once an entry fees has has been made, refund request will not be accepted.
7. Films must be available for screening right after the selection has been announced.
8. Winners chosen by the judges will be final and binding.
9. FSFF has no obligation to disclose judges, selection process, and other information related to the Festival that are not already made public.