Our selection committee is looking for short food films to be included in the Food Film Menu 2021!
By putting the spotlight on regional gastronomy, you and your short food film can play a key role in raising awareness about the importance of cultural and food uniqueness, and contribute to a more sustainable future.
Diverse food, food cultures, food traditions, and food knowledge have shaped through centuries the cultural, architectural and landscape heritage of regions across the globe, creating an incredible patchwork of unique food ways that deserve to be safeguarded and showcased.
Globalisation and climate change are undeniably affecting biodiversity on our planet, leading to a dramatic loss of local plant and animal varieties (and related traditional know-how) that are the backbone of regional food cultures.
As more and more people move to globalised diets, it is vitally important to revalue and promote local food as cultural heritage, as the way forward to ensure future sustainable development and community well-being.
Unleash your creativity and become an ambassador for cultural and food diversity!
Theme: FOOD STORIES
We are hungry for incredible stories starring the food heritage of awarded and candidate Regions of Gastronomy!*
Each region holds countless fascinating food stories waiting to be told. Local food products, recipes, food producers, chefs, food traditions, food innovations, food techniques and practises, food landscapes or built heritage related to regional gastronomy - to name a few - are all eligible protagonists of your short film.
*Current awarded and candidate Regions of Gastronomy:
CATALONIA, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2016 (Spain)
MINHO, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2016 (Portugal)
AARHUS-CENTRAL DENMARK, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2017 (Denmark)
EAST LOMBARDY, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2017 (Italy)
RIGA-GAUJA, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2017 (Latvia)
GALWAY-WEST OF IRELAND, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2018 (Ireland)
NORTH BRABANT, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2018 (The Netherlands)
SIBIU, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2019 (Romania)
SOUTH AEGEAN, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2019 (Greece)
KUOPIO, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2020 (Finland)
COIMBRA REGION, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2021 (Portugal)
SLOVENIA, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2021
MENORCA, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2022 (Spain)
TRONDHEIM-TRØNDELAG, European Region of Gastronomy awarded 2022 (Norway)
BRAȘOV, European Region of Gastronomy candidate 2023 (Romania)
HAUTS-DE-FRANCE, European Region of Gastronomy candidate 2023 (France)
*Please consult IGCAT if you require further information on candidate World Regions of Gastronomy.
A maximum of 12 AWARDS will be given in the framework of the Food Film Menu, including:
8 CATEGORY AWARDS:
- Best Food Film showcasing the Regions of Gastronomy
- Best Food Film showcasing the European Young Chefs
- Best Food Film showcasing Food-related Visitor Experiences or Food Gifts from the Regions of Gastronomy
- Best Food Film highlighting Historical Food Routes
- Best Food Film showing New Food Trends
- Best Food Film on Environment and Food
- Best Food Film connecting to the United Nations SDGs
- Best Food Film showcasing a Candidate World Region of Gastronomy
3 OVERALL WINNERS AWARDS (chosen among the category winners):
- 1st Prize - Best Food Film Overall
- 2nd Prize
- 3rd prize
1 AWARD for BEST YOUNG DIRECTOR (chosen among all eligible submissions)
All winners (category, overall and Best Young Director) will be promoted and offered as a menu to film festivals throughout the awarded European Regions of Gastronomy.
All category winners will be permanently showcased in the Food Film Menu section on IGCAT’s website and YouTube channel, and promoted through IGCAT’s social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn).
HOW TO ENTER
Read the rules detailed on this page very closely. If your short food film complies with the standards and regulations listed below, proceed to fill out a submission.
RULES AND RESTRICTIONS FOR ENTRY
1. The short film must meet at least one of the category guidelines outlined in this Call.
2. The short film should have a maximum length of 5 min.
3. All languages are accepted but SHOULD include English subtitles.
4. The film should have been created after 2017.
5. All genres are eligible for submission EXCLUDING animations and that which depict sexual pornography or extreme violence.
6. Campaigns consisting of several films can be entered but only as individual films. Each film will be judged individually.
7. Submission must have signed release forms from all contributors to use and publish their work.
8. The filmmaker/s is/are responsible for purchasing music rights for audio used in the short film.
9. The filmmaker/s must have written permission to showcase the locations and people on-screen.
10. The filmmaker/s must also provide with each film submitted the following:
- a) a high-res digital version of the film upon acceptance.
- b) (at least) 2 excellent still images from your film to be distributed to the press and for use on IGCAT website and social media (minimum of 2000px and 72ppi in the long side).
11. If accepted, your short film may be used for promotional purposes and you give full rights to IGCAT (free of charge) to use it and/or promote it. Noting that this right does not extend to commercial use of the film.
12. If selected, you may not withdraw your short film from the Food Film Menu and you must provide a link to a trailer for your film on YouTube. This allows us to feature your trailer on our website and social media accounts.
13. If selected, you authorise IGCAT’s sponsors and partners to publish your work on their websites and/or social media.
14. IGCAT reserves the right to move an entry to a more appropriate category if necessary.
15. Filmmakers of all ages, professionals, enthusiasts and production companies are invited to submit in any category, however one of the prizes is reserved for Best Young Director. For this Award the filmmaker must:
- a) be aged 18-26;
- b) have no more than 2 years of professional experience as filmmakers;
- c) have previously directed and publicly screened no more than 3 films.
16. IGCAT reserves the right not to award any short films in one or more categories if submissions do not comply with the required theme and standards.
17. All rules and regulations are subject to interpretation by IGCAT.
18. The decision of the jury is final.
The selection of BEST FILM BY CATEGORY and BEST YOUNG DIRECTOR will be made by a committee of IGCAT experts in the food and film sectors and announced as the Food Film Menu 2021 in September 2021 on IGCAT’s website and social media.
A PEOPLE'S CHOICE VOTE will then be open on IGCAT’s social media to select the Overall Winners of the Food Film Menu 2021 (1st, 2nd and 3rd Prize).
It is intended that Overall Winners will be officially announced at a high-profile Region of Gastronomy event to be organised the third quarter of 2021 (circumstances permitting), where all category winners will be screened for an international audience and filmmakers will be invited to join.
The Food Film Menu is organised and coordinated by the International Institute of Gastronomy, Culture, Arts and Tourism (IGCAT). IGCAT aims to empower local communities by raising awareness of the importance to safeguard and promote distinct food, culture, arts and sustainable tourism assets. This is essential to balance against globalised food trends that are impacting on our planet, health and local economies.
IGCAT is a non-profit institute established in 2012, working with regional stakeholder consortiums in the fields of gastronomy, culture, arts and tourism. It counts on the expertise of a worldwide network of experts and works in partnership with specialised intergovernmental organisations.
IGCAT provides the Region of Gastronomy Award and is the official secretariat for the European Region of Gastronomy Platform. Furthermore, the Institute has developed the European Young Chef Award, the Local Food Gift Challenge and the Top Visitor Experience.