First Time Fest (FTF) is a five-day film festival taking place in New York City, celebrating the excitement and discovery of first time filmmakers. The Festival is unique in its exclusive focus on first films, by emerging filmmakers and by established filmmakers, along with a shorts program geared to up-and-coming filmmakers. A competition section by first-time directors, producers, cinematographers, editors, screenwriters and composers is the core of the Festival.
FIRST TIME FESTS new Distribution Marketplace is provided exclusively for our FIRST TIME FEST Competition Filmmakers.
73% of all FTF Competition Films have received distribution deals. From Theatrical to Hybrid Distribution deals, the best in the industry will explore one on one what might fit best for your film.
Distributors of past FTF films are:
Gravitas Ventures, Lionsgate, Zeitgeist Films, The Cinema Guild, IFC, Film Buff, Panorama Entertainment, Filmrise, Kino Lorber, Film 1, Sundance Selects, Film Festival Flix, Cinelicious Pictures, Code black Entertainment, and The Orchard.
Once FTF has announced the competition films for year 5, a specifically curated list of distributors will be invited to attend one on one meetings with our Competition Filmmakers. This will be preceded and followed by our distribution panel SELL BABY SELL and a cocktail reception so everyone can organically get to know each other.
"First Time Fest was the perfect place to premiere my debut feature film. Mandy and Johanna are a real class act, and their incredibly attentive staff made us feel right at home from the moment we arrived. Seeing our baby on the big screen right in the heart of New York City made for an unforgettable experience, and receiving a review from the Hollywood Reporter afterwards was the icing on the cake. I would highly encourage all first time feature filmmakers to seek them out!"
Jeremy Carr, writer/director of OTHER MADNESSES
"FTF was a pivotal step in the journey for our feature film "Junction" reaching a higher distribution level. After an incredible FTF sold-out screening and press-filled red carpet for our film (plus great festival reviews) we received several domestic distribution offers and signed with a producer rep who secured an international deal for the film as well. FTF was such an important launch-pad for us and our film and we cherish the relationships we made with other indie filmmakers thru this festival.”
Tony Glazer, writer/director JUNCTION
"We premiered our film Fall To Rise at First Time Fest, and were blown away by the outpouring of support the festival gave us; they truly made us feel like we had made something special and introduced us to a community of mentors and peers that we would never have had access to. Fall To Rise went to find distribution on Amazon PRIME and I can say that it was in no small part thanks to the great NYC fest that championed us first....First Time Fest."
Jayce Bartok, writer/director of FALL TO RISE
One film is selected to win the FTF Grand Prize, and up to three films are chosen to participate in the traveling First Time Fest Showcase in New York and other major U.S. cities. The finalist that are chosen to participate in the festival will get one on one meetings with different distributors from top companies to match make your film with thee right distribution deal. An Honorary Ed Lachman award is also presented by Ed to an emerging Director of Photography with a unique vision.
* First Time Fest is seeking feature-length (greater than 72 minutes) and short (30 minutes and under) fiction and documentary films from first-time filmmakers
* “First-time filmmaker” is defined as the first feature film effort by one or more members of the production team. These team members can include:
For example, a film may have a veteran producer, director and/or writer, but has a new (to feature filmmaking) editor or cinematographer. That feature would then qualify for submission to First Time Fest. Any feature debut effort in the above categories will qualify the film for submission.
*A COVER LETTER indicating the role (director, etc.) of the first time filmmaker must be included along with the submission.
* DVDs are accepted for preview screening, we also accept secure online screeners.
* DVDs must be labeled clearly with the title, running time, FilmFreeway registration number (if application is initiated through FilmFreeway) and contact information (including name, address and phone number).
* More than one entry may be submitted. Each entry must be accompanied by an official entry form and entry fee.
* If your film is selected, you will be asked to provide headshot and filmographies of the creative team members; b&w and/or color stills from the film; press materials; and video trailer (if available).
* The entry fee is non-refundable.
* DVDs and other submitted materials will not be returned. Please do not send film prints, master tapes or other originals.
* If you want confirmation that your entry has been received by FTF, please include a self-addressed stamped postcard.
* All film entries selected for the Festival grant First Time Fest the rights to use footage, stills and/or titles and information from the film for promotional purposes.
* All films submitted must be free from any legal disputes and the filmmaker must have cleared all rights for music, clips, and festival exhibition.
* The filmmaker agrees to deliver the hi-res Quicktime File or DCP to the festival no later than October 9, 2016.
*Films submitted to First Time Fest must not have any distribution attachments or agreements at the time of application or when screened at the Festival. The Grand Prize of First Time Fest is, in fact, US theatrical distribution and international sales representation from Cinema Libre Studio. The winning filmmakers are not obliged to accept any distribution or sales representation from Cinema Libre Studio, but must not have other distribution agreements in place at the time of the Festival. Films with distribution are not eligible for First Time Fest.
Each entrant warrants and represents that he/she is the creator of the submitted entry or the legal and duly authorized representative of the creator/rightsholder; that the entry is original and owned by entrant; that the entry is free of any claims by other parties; and that the entry was not created without authorization at one’s job, using your employer's equipment or on the employer's time, unless being submitted with employer permission. If an entry is disqualified an alternate winner will be selected by the judges based on the judging criteria.
Please send this application form along with 2 screener DVDs to
First Time Fest
Attn: Mandy Ward
75 Grand Ave, Suite 2B
Brooklyn, BY 11205