Now in its 37th year, the Washington, DC International Film Festival (Filmfest DC) celebrates over three decades in which we have presented thousands of new films to residents and visitors to our nation's capital.
In 2023 the festival will be back in our traditional late April dates: Thursday, April 20 - Sunday, April 30. Most likely with a hybrid combination of in-person and virtual screenings.
We welcome entries of international and independent cinema, and include several programs to showcase films made by artists living and/or working in Washington, DC.
As the largest and longest-running annual international film festival in Washington, DC, FILMFEST DC has established itself as one of the city's major cultural activities.
Inaugurated in 1996 and presented by the Washington, DC International film Festival, ARABIAN SIGHTS is one of the longest running festivals of its kind in the US and has grown to become a widely anticipated, attended and respected event in DC, and is favorably highlighted in the media. Since 2020, ARABIAN SIGHTS has been incorporated into the Filmfest DC dates.
The festival's audience is widely diverse, curious and knowledgeable. Filmfest DC delivers provocative and entertaining stories from around the globe to our own DC neighborhoods.
1. CIRCLE AWARD - juried competition of selected feature films that deserve increased recognition.
2 CROSSCURRENTS FOUNDATION JUSTICE MATTERS AWARD - an international juried competition of feature length films which expand our awareness and understanding of creative and collective responses to social justice issues around the globe.
3. FILMFEST DC METROSHORTS AWARD - a juried award for the best short film from a DC Metro area filmmaker.
4. FILMFEST DC SHORTS AWARD - a juried award which tends towards recognizing less well known filmmakers and those whose work illustrates a balance of economy and emotional resonance. Shorts in all genres are eligible, DC area premiere is preferred.
5. SIGNIS AWARD - the jury presents this award to the film deemed to best illuminate and celebrate what it means to be human in a diverse and challenging world.
6. FILMFEST DC AUDIENCE AWARDS to feature narrative and documentary films determined by audience ballot.
7. ARABIAN SIGHTS AUDIENCE AWARD for favorite Arabian Sights film will be determined by audience ballots presented at all festival screenings.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY AND COMPLETELY PRIOR TO SUBMITTING.
1. Filmfest DC strongly prefers to have the Washington, DC area premiere of films selected for the festival and gives priority to such films.
2. Submission criteria:
-Completion AFTER April 1, 2022
-In English or in the original language with English subtitles
-Short films must be under 18 minutes in duration
- Not screened or streamed on television or theatrically in the U.S. or screened prior to May 1, 2023.
-Not be available to the public online as a DVD or as a digital download/streaming link for purchase or rental.
3. Works in progress that are not final cuts may be submitted but please clearly note what is missing or will change.
4. JUSTICE MATTERS COMPETITION: Please submit feature length (50+ min) films about creative and collective responses to social justice issues (including environmental, economic, etc.) through the Justice Matters category. ONLY feature length (50+ min) films are considered in this category.
5. DISCOUNT ON ENTRY FEE FOR DC AND DC METRO AREA FILMMAKERS:
If you are a filmmaker living and/or working in the DC Metro area you may be eligible for a discounted entry fee. Please contact us PRIOR TO SUBMISSION with your name, address, name of film, date of production, run time and a brief description of your/your film's connection to the DC Metro Area.
For METROSHORTS and JUSTICE MATTERS films contact <email@example.com>;
all others write to <firstname.lastname@example.org>
6. More than one entry may be submitted; however an official entry and entry fee must accompany each submission.
7. If your film is selected, Filmfest DC will require a DCP exhibition copy for the festival's physical public presentation, and/or an upload of an mp4 should it be virtual. The 2023 festival is planned to be hybrid.
Response from festival:
Eli (and Khalil) thank you for your commitment to the people of Puerto Rico and your wonderful film WE STILL HERE showing the creativity and resilience there. Your presentations at the public screening to adults and to school students from K - 12 were so well prepared and sometimes hilarious it was a delight to host you.
Response from festival:
You are so correct, Heidi, about the challenges this year; we gave it our best efforts, and we are really pleased as well with the quality of the films. Thank you for this, and also for your participation in one of the recorded interviews, we appreciated your comments as well as your film!