Now in its 34th year, Filmfest DC celebrates over three decades in which we have presented thousands of new films to residents and visitors to our nation's capital in an 11-day festival comprised of 70-80 new and significant international films.
The festival's audience of over 16,000 people is widely diverse, curious and knowledgeable. Filmfest DC delivers provocative and entertaining stories from around the globe to our own DC neighborhoods.
As the largest and longest-running annual film festival in Washington, DC, Filmfest DC has established itself as one of the city's major cultural activities.
1. CIRCLE AWARD - juried competition of selected feature films that deserve increased recognition.
2. FIRST FEATURE AWARD - juried competition of selected feature films that are the first by their director.
3. CROSSCURRENTS FOUNDATION JUSTICE MATTERS AWARD - an international juried competition of feature length films which expand our awareness and understanding of social justice issues around the globe, and people who are doing something about them.
4. FILMFEST DC SHORTS AWARD - a juried award which tends towards recognizing less well known filmmakers and those whose work illustrates a balance of economy and emotional resonance. Shorts in all genres are eligible, DC area premiere is preferred.
5. SIGNIS AWARD - the jury presents this award to the film deemed to best illuminate and celebrate what it means to be human in a diverse and challenging world.
6. FILMFEST DC AUDIENCE AWARDS to feature narrative and documentary films determined by audience ballot.
Please read completely and carefully before submitting.
1) Filmfest DC strongly prefers to have the Washington, DC area premiere of films selected for the festival and gives priority to such films.
2) Submissions must have been completed after January 1, 2019 to be eligible for consideration.
3) All films must be in English or have English subtitles.
4) Works in progress that are not final cuts may be submitted but clearly note what is missing or will change.
5) More than one entry may be submitted; however an official entry and entry fee must accompany each submission.
6) JUSTICE MATTERS COMPETITION. Please submit feature length films about social justice issues (including environmental, economic, etc) through the Justice Matters category. ONLY feature length (50+ min) films are considered in this category.
7) Feature films must not be available online as a DVD or digital download/link for purchase.
8) Feature films also must not have been broadcast on television in the United States or screened theatrically in the United States prior to May 5, 2020.
9. Discount on entry fee for DC and DC Metro area filmmakers: If you are a filmmaker from the DC Metro area you may be eligible for a discounted entry fee. Eligible filmmakers of short (MetroShorts) and Justice Matters films please contact <email@example.com>; all others write to <firstname.lastname@example.org> with your name, address, name of film, year of production, run time and a brief description of your/your film's connection to the DC Metro Area prior to submitting.
10. If your film is selected, Filmfest DC will require a DCP exhibition copy for the festival's public presentation.