Filmetry: a Festival of Poetry and Film is an annual collaborative art-making endeavor that pairs filmmakers with poets to create exciting new pieces of work. Filmmakers are invited to synthesize and adapt poetic work into film with only one rule: a commitment to including the text of the poem, in full, in the finished piece. The hope is that through this collaboration, both artistic partners can witness not just an adaptation of a written piece into audiovisual media, but the transformation of the original piece into something wholly new.
Now entering its 4th year, FILMETRY invites filmmakers to adapt selected work from the 2022 themed edition of the MSU Library Short Edition, "Home," for consideration by our jury for inclusion in the festival. We look forward to joining together again in person for our 2022 festival!
1st prize: $250
2nd prize: $150
3rd prize: $100
- IMPORTANT: FILMMAKERS MUST MAKE NEW WORK FROM APPROVED LIST OF POEMS BELOW. Film submissions that are not adaptations of the approved poems will not be considered.
- Films must be shorter than 5 minutes.
- The text of the poem must be included in the finished piece in full, in the original order.
- The text may be spoken or appear on screen but must match the original written piece.
- Works in progress are not accepted.
- Authors grant filmmakers a one-time license to adapt their work for "Filmetry: a Festival of Poetry and Film" only. Further broadcast or dissemination (whether in future festivals, distribution online, or any other use) requires the explicit permission from the author.
The 2022 Filmetry Festival work will be based on selections from the "Home" themed edition of the MSU Libraries Short Edition Press.
Explore the work available to adapt for Filmetry 2022 (copy/paste link into browser):