Film Shortage is home to the next generation of filmmakers, premiering some of the best and most diverse short films online. Featuring mind-blowing new shorts daily from the freshest minds today.
Selected films will be featured on our Daily Picks, or our Weekly Features. The films also get a chance to be added to our coveted Vimeo Channel or our growing YouTube Channel. We work closely with the filmmakers of the selected films to prepare the best possible online release (or re-release) through our combined social media reach.
We are now opening up our submissions to short screenplays for the chance to be developed into a fully produced radio play for our First Read Radio podcast!
**SEASON 1 OF FIRST READ RADIO IS NOW OUT**
This contest is dedicated to giving writers an opportunity to be discovered while also having their scripts produced into a well-crafted radio play by our team of producers. Each month the top script(s) will be professionally produced and featured on the Film Shortage Radio Play Podcast and distributed through Film Shortages' various platforms.
So, what is a radio play? Think of it as a high-quality table read professionally recorded with voice actors and sound designed by a team of top-notch audiophiles all while under the direction of an experienced storytelling team.
Short Film Submissions:
What does your film need to be featured?
Simply enough it needs to be good! We like well scripted stories, and we like them even better if they are well shot! Although we encourage narrative shorts, we will accept any type of short film if we think it is exceptional. We accept shorts of any budget category, but strongly encourage low-budget productions with strong values.
What length do you accept short films?
We accept films under 45 minutes, but remember, an online audience is already difficult to keep focus – so as a general rule, the longer the film is, the better it needs to be.
Does my paid submission automatically get selected?
Film Shortage is a curated website, and part of our job is to carefully hand pick through the submissions the films that stand out the most. Unfortunately that means that not all submissions get selected.
Can I get reimbursed?
The submission fee covers our reviewer’s time to watch and score your film, therefore the submissions are non-refundable.
Which formats do you accept?
You can submit a film for revision via any web viewable format, but if selected we may ask that the film be transferred to Vimeo or YouTube. We can possibly post the film on our YouTube.
When will I know if my submission got selected?
You should get a response within 3-4 business days.
See more frequently asked questions
1. All scripts must be submitted in English, and entry fees must be paid in U.S. dollars. Entry in the competition is void where prohibited by law.
2. All writers’ names should be listed in the online entry form. By submitting, the entrant warrants that all writers have authorized the submission.
3. To enter, you must submit in the following format only: PDF
4. Scripts cannot exceed more than 25 pages.
5. Feedback is not provided to writers at any time during or after the competition.
6. All rights and ownership to the script submitted remain with the original rights holders.
7. By submitting your script to Film Shortage, you represent that your entry is your original work, and does not infringe on any copyright or other rights of other people or legal entities. The entrant indemnifies Film Shortage and its employees and subsidiaries and holds them harmless from any claims regarding infringement or dissemination of materials.
8. Once a script has been submitted, we will not accept revised drafts. If you wish to submit a revised draft of your script, you must enter it as a new submission.
9. There is no limit to the number of scripts you may submit.
10. Film Shortage does not share your screenplay with anyone except the staff and producers without prior permission.
11. Entry fees are non-refundable.
12. The screenplays submitted must not have been previously sold or produced.
Film Shortage will select scripts to be produced throughout the year. Selected scripts will be contacted using the email address provided on the corresponding entry form. Film Shortage’s selection criteria are based upon the level of writing ability, originality, market potential, and appeal to the Film Shortage industry network.
By submitting your script for consideration to FilmShortage.com, you agree for Film Shortage and its producing partners to develop and produce your short screenplay into a radio play to be distributed throughout Film Shortage’s platforms i.e website, youtube, and podcast.
Any winners may have their name, script title, produced radio play, and pictures used for any Film Shortage promotions or promotions of our sponsors or affiliates.
Writer agrees that should his/her material be chosen as the winning script, the writer shall review and sign a Production Agreement before the script can be produced as part of the award. The Production Agreement, in part, states that the Writer gives permission to Film Shortage producers to develop the winning script into a radio play and understands that said radio play will be owned by Film Shortage. All ownership and rights to the script produced and submitted to this contest remains with the writer.