Welcome to the 20th Annual FilmOut San Diego LGBT Film Festival. We are one of the longest-running film festivals in Southern California and the only LGBT film festival in the San Diego area.
Our festival is well-respected in the film community and often have World and U.S. premieres. People from around the world attend the festival as we offer filmmakers Q&A sessions after most films. Interviews with filmmakers and talent are uploaded to social media platforms for maximum exposure. We also have a fantastic Opening Night gala and Closing Night party each year.
We look forward to reviewing your project for our upcoming 2018 film festival.
The mission of FilmOut San Diego is to enlighten, educate, and entertain San Diego, California and its outlying communities through the exhibition of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered-themed films. FilmOut San Diego seeks to recognize, promote, celebrate and support the important diverse artistic contributions LGBT filmmakers make to our community.
The annual San Diego LGBT Film Festival will be a four-day event that includes over 50 international, documentary, short and feature films. As always, we strive to show the very best of the newest crop of LGBT-themed film and video selections available.
FilmOut San Diego annually affirms the ongoing integrity and boundless imagination of our community and the artists who tell our stories. We believe our work is part of an ongoing effort to build a vibrant, affirming and sustainable LGBT community in San Diego County. We hope you will join us and submit your project!
Awards & Prizes
• Best Narrative Feature
• Best (First) Narrative Feature
• Best International Feature
• Best Direction
• Best Actor in a Feature Film
• Best Actress in a Feature Film
• Best Actor in a Supporting Role
• Best Actress in a Supporting Role
• Best Ensemble Cast
• Best Overall Short
• Best Short Film (Male)
• Best Short Film (Female)
• Best International Short
• Best Comedy
• Best Documentary
• Best Documentary Short
• Best Screenplay
• Best Cinematography
• Best Soundtrack
...plus Audience Awards, Festival Awards, and Special Programming Awards including:
• Freedom Award
• Outstanding Emerging Talent
• Outstanding Artistic Achievement
Rules & Terms
The 2018 FilmOut San Diego LGBT Film Festival Submission Period is open from November 1, 2017 – March 1, 2018.
• FilmOut San Diego is a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) film festival. All submissions must be relevant to that community or your entry will be disqualified. Please do not submit any films without LGBT content.
• Film screeners are currently accepted digitally through the film submission service FilmFreeway.
• There are screening fees required to submit to FilmOut San Diego paid through FilmFreeway.
• Our submission period is from November 1, 2017 – March 1, 2018. The deadline for all submissions is 11:59pm (PST) March 1, 2018.
• If you are unable to submit via FilmFreeway, please contact either firstname.lastname@example.org (or) email@example.com
• There will be no refunds once a project has been submitted.
• The 20th Annual FilmOut San Diego LGBT Film Festival will be held June 7–10, 2018 at The Observatory North Park. Filmmakers whose works are officially selected will be notified no later than April 2, 2018. Unfortunately, we DO NOT send out personalized regret letters for the films that are not selected. However, you will be notified (via FilmFreeway) once our submission period has ended as to the status of your submission.
• If your film is selected to the festival, you will be expected to provide two (2) completed DVD or Blu-Ray (NTSC, Region 1 only) screening videos to be received by FilmOut San Diego no later than April 16, 2018. (There is NO film/HDCam capability at the theatre).
• Film's that are available VOD, have played in San Diego (theatrically or featured in another local film festival), or are available to the public for viewing are not eligible.
• Additional materials will be requested once your film has been selected: jpegs, synopsis, posters, film clips, etc.
All selected entries do hereby grant FilmOut San Diego the right to use footage, stills, and/or titles and information from the film for promotional purposes to include, but not limited to, cable, TV, Internet, radio and print sources.