FILM FEST KNOX is an international film festival in Knoxville, Tennessee, hosted by Visit Knoxville and the Visit Knoxville Film Office in partnership with Regal and The Public Cinema. The inaugural edition of the festival will be held November 10-12, 2023.
FILM FEST KNOX aims to create a space for cinema as an art form. We invite discerning moviegoers, film professionals, and passionate audiences to engage in meaningful discussions, celebrate talented filmmakers, and foster connections within the industry. The festival is held at the Regal Riviera in downtown Knoxville, a vibrant, walkable area.
FILM FEST KNOX showcases a wide spectrum of films, while placing a special emphasis on American Regional Cinema. In collaboration with Regal, we present the highly anticipated 6-film American Regional Film Competition. This unique showcase sheds light on exceptional works produced outside the traditional production centers of Los Angeles and New York.
The winner of the American Regional Cinema competition will be awarded an Oscar-qualifying run by Regal.
In addition to our film screenings, FILM FEST KNOX offers an array of engaging events. Join us for parties, insightful panels, and exclusive private receptions honoring our esteemed guest filmmakers. We take great pleasure in acknowledging the invaluable contributions of film's creative producers, often overlooked yet vital to the success of a project.
American Regional Cinema Competition
Open to feature films made outside New York and Los Angeles, with a preference given to filmmakers (writers, directors, producers) based outside of those commercial centers. The winner of the American Regional Cinema competition will be awarded an Oscar-qualifying run by Regal. See details in Rules & Terms for more information.
Made In Tennessee
A competition for shorts and features produced in the Volunteer State.
FILM FEST KNOX only has open submissions for two categories: the American Regional Cinema Competition and its Made in Tennessee strand of programming (shorts and features). Please check individual categories for additional requirements. Additionally, FFK hosts the Elev8or pitch/timed film competition.
** Regional Film Competition Rules & Terms **
- Entries must not have premiered to the public in-person or virtually before January 1, 2022.
- Films that have screened virtually at a festival prior to the FILM FEST KNOX are eligible for submission and competition.
- Films submitted in previous years are not eligible for resubmission to the current and open season.
- Feature films are 70 minutes in length or longer. Short films are classified as films that are under 70 minutes in length.
- Films not in the English language must be subtitled in English.
- Entries for the American Regional Cinema competition and the Made in Tennessee competition must be submitted for pre-screening via FilmFreeway. Films that use a secured link are REQUIRED to keep us updated with passwords or risk being rejected.
- We do not accept physical copies (e.g., blu ray, DVD) for consideration.
- DCP is the required screening format. DCPs must be delivered at least 3 weeks before the screening date. Flat, 24fps specs are preferred.
- Works-in-progress are accepted, but please only submit work-in-progress if the film is near picture lock stage.
- FILM FEST KNOX employees, including seasonal staff, board members, sponsors, and their immediate families, are not eligible to submit work in competition categories to the festival.
- By submitting your work you are giving permission for the FILM FEST KNOX to showcase your work at the festival and for promotional purposes.
- Any potential prize awards are subject to all relevant federal and/or state laws and are therefore not guaranteed. Prize winners are responsible for providing required documentation in a timely manner and are responsible for any tax liabilities they may incur. FILM FEST KNOX is not responsible for providing tax advice.
The individual or corporation submitting the film warrants that he/she/they is authorized to commit the film to one screening at any time during Film Fest Knox 2023, which will take place November 10-12. Selected entries will be given more detail regarding the submission of film files.
Every possible care will be taken with DCPs while in our possession, however, we cannot accept responsibility for loss, damage or additional charges incurred en route, or due to normal wear and tear, or due to equipment failure. Do NOT send original prints or master copies.
Additionally, Film Fest Knox is held harmless from any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity or screening of any film.
The cost of shipping an entry to the Festival must be paid by the entrant or preceding festival. All international entries must be sent with all transportation charges, duties, and taxes prepaid by the shipper. For films accepted into the Festival, the entrant is responsible for inbound shipping. In most cases, FILM FEST KNOX will pay the cost of outbound shipping of the print to its next destination. However, the Festival will not be responsible for unnecessary expedited or overnight shipping charges to other destinations.
ALL OF THE FOLLOWING MUST ACCOMPANY YOUR ENTRY:
- 3-Line Synopsis (may be used for Festival Program and website)
- FEATURE-LENGTH FILMS: 250 Word Synopsis (may be used for Festival Program and website)
- STUDENTS: Include proof of student status at the time of production. (Copy of student ID or transcript.)
- TENNESSEE RESIDENTS: Include proof of residence or proof that the entry was shot predominantly in the state of Tennessee.
- Accepted entries must submit at least one digital, horizontal 300dpi still photo from the film.
- Selected films who submit a rough cut MUST submit a copy of the final edit of their film on Vimeo or other digital streaming service.
- Notification of Festival acceptance status is scheduled to be given to all entrants on or around September 15, 2023.
SUBMISSION FEES POLICY AND SCREENING GUARANTEE
In our first year of programming FILM FEST KNOX, we will NOT CHARGE submission fees. We will aim to keep this policy as long as it is sustainable for the festival. We are strongly opposed to funding a festival off of the backs of submission fees. However, due to our need to keep operations small and the possibility of a large volume of submissions we offer no guarantee that submitted films will be watched in their entirety or at all.
Notification of Festival acceptance status is scheduled to be given to all entrants on or about September 15, 2023.
FILM FESTIVAL FAQ
Deadline - August 10, 2023
Notification Date - September 15, 2023
Film Fest Knox - November 10-12, 2023
How do I submit my film?
While we program films of all genres, we only accept submissions for films that are eligible for our American Regional Cinema feature film competition and the Made in Tennessee competition (features and shorts). You can submit your film via FilmFreeway.
How much is it to enter?
It is free. That’s right, free.
Do you accept works-in-progress?
Yes, but we will not watch re-cut/revised versions of your submission, so make it count.
Do you require films to be a world premiere, or any other kind of premiere?
The only conditions we have for feature films in competition are as follows: the film must not have premiered to the public in-person or virtually before January 1, 2022, the film cannot have screened in Knoxville, the film cannot yet be released theatrically, via streaming, or otherwise.
When do we notify filmmakers of acceptance or rejection?
Filmmakers will be notified on or before September 15, 2023
Please email email@example.com